OT: What are your five favorite American cities? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: What are your five favorite American cities?

Favorite Cities:
(no order)
San Francisco
New Orleans
Seattle
San Diego
New York

Places I'd live if had the choice:
Depoe Bay, OR
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Sarasota FL
St Augustine FL
Athens, OH

Lighthearted off-season thread that should be fun to discuss...

What are your five favorite cities in America, and why? Mine:

Washington, DC: Heaven for a political/history buff, cosmopolitan but not overwhelming like New York can be at times; clean with lots of green space

Seattle: probably the best blend of urban-scape and natural beauty in America

New York: the mecca of American culture; I personally could never live there, but visiting always is an adrenaline rush

Syracuse: my hometown; the one place on Earth I don't feel like an outsider; feel truly at ease whenever I return

Portland, ME: have only been there once, but absolutely loved it; has a big city culinary/microbrew scene with none of the congestion; beautiful ocean/islands surrounding it.

Honorable mention: Savannah, Philadelphia, San Francisco, San Diego, Boston (have never been to Chicago other than O'Hare layovers)

Least favorite big cities: Dallas, Houston, Phoenix (I don't like urban sprawl or being hot)

Piscataway
Storrs
State College
West Orange
Albany

Just joking.

Real list:

Syracuse

NYC

Could spend years just exploring the place. It has everything. Of course, that includes some bad things too...

Pittsburgh

Lots to do, big city with a small town feel to it

Chicago

Again, lots to do, it has everything, but the people are almost scarily nice and friendly. Only place I have been where it seemed everyone sang the NA. People wait for green lights to cross the street and only blow their horns as a last resort. I still wonder if I was being punked the entire time I was there...

Boston

This is hard to do as I hate Boston College with a fiery passion. But I love history, I love the quirky old school streets, I love the passion of the residents, the incredible number of high end colleges in the area and what they bring to the table, great food, great culture, etc. I even like the accents. The traffic is a huge negative.

Honorable mention: DC and South Beach (good lord). Not a big fan of Vegas, LA, Orlando, Salt Lake City, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Atlanta or New Orleans. Big fan of Toronto and Ottawa. Pretty sure I would love Baltimore but have never visited it. Ditto Savannah and Quebec City.

I have to get on board here with Albuquerque as #1. The city is clean, plenty to do, very scenic brushing up against the mountains, & multi-cultural.

My #2 is Sedona, AZ (really a village) but since the definition of city seems to be stretched in this thread. Sedona is beautiful with it's red rock scenery. Every turn of the head is new photo-op. Unbelieveable and numerous pet friendly hiking trails. Very artsy.

My # 3 - again stretching what is a city is Kona on the big island. The coffee speaks for itself, the harbor is beautiful, and how can you beat island breezes ???

I am a small city guy, and I could go and on with other small towns, but getting back to "real" cities here are my #4 & #5s

#4 - Tucson - similar to Albq in size & feel and also has the saguaro's for anybody who is a cactus person.

#5 - Honorable mention here to Syracuse. While Syracuse, as a city, really doesn't compete with my top 4, as a place of memories and as a place where I had a great 4 years of my life makes it impossible to omit.

Others I considered:

Big:

San Diego
San Fran (I am a bridge guy)
Miami - if I went by childhood memories (my grandparents were there and the family went often) it would have been in my top two or three, but the last time I visited - very crowded, miserable parking, and in general no longer delightful.
Colorado Springs

Small:

Durango, CO.
Reno, NV
Newport, RI

Are we talking places to visit or places to live? There are many places that are great to visit (N.O., Vegas, etc...) that wouldn't make my list to live.

Chicago
DC
San Fran
San Diego
Naples

Favorite Cities:
(no order)
San Francisco
New Orleans
Seattle
San Diego
New York

That would be my choices too for bigger cities with one exception. I'd replace Seattle with Denver.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Are we talking places to visit or places to live? There are many places that are great to visit (N.O., Vegas, etc...) that wouldn't make my list to live.

Chicago
DC
San Fran
San Diego
Naples
Forgot about naples.. lived in marco island for a year when I was younger.. or a summer I should say. Loved it down there.

San Fran
Charleston SC
Los Angeles
Wilmington NC
Lancaster Pa if you are into a city surrounded by Amish country this is the place. City not so much but the county is absolutely beautiful in the summer time.

I intentionally left out city's in NY because I would have trouble being unbiased.
Nyc
Ithaca
Canandaigua
Poughkeepsie (Hudson around those parts is beautiful)
Watkins Glen
These are a few of my favorite city's in NY.

1. Anywhere in the lowcountry (charleston sc, Hilton head, savannah)

2. Chicago, IL

3. New Orleans, LA

4. San Diego, CA

5. Charleston, SC again.

Juneau
Santa Fe
Breckenridge
Bellingham
Sitka
For Canada - Victoria

San Fran
Charleston SC
Los Angeles
Wilmington NC
Lancaster Pa if you are in to a city surrounded by Amish country this is the place. City not so much but the county is absolutely beautiful in the summer time.

I intentionally left out city's in NY because I would have trouble being unbiased.
Nyc
Ithaca
Canandaigua
Poughkeepsie (Hudson around those parts is beautiful)
Watkins Glen
These are a few of my favorite city's in NY.
Did the Lancaster trip as well. Good stuff.

1. New York. Been here for 9 years now and I don't know that a day goes by that I don't realize how lucky I am to live here. Though I do have a love/hate relationship with NYC in the summer.

2. San Francisco. Clean, great restaurants/food, gorgeous weather in February (though not sure I would like it in the summer)

3. Vegas. I'm not sure if it counts but the fact I can get a standard suite with a bathroom the size of my first apartment is pretty awesome. And being able to spend a day at the pool getting drunk, take a nap, have an amazing dinner and then get drunk all night a blackjack table just to wake up and do it all again. That's like my dream vacation.

4. New Orleans. Two long amazing weekends in New Orleans. Even more than Vegas, New Orleans has defeated me. The shakes on the flight home are not fun. And even the tourist traps on Bourbon St. have decent food.

5. Oneonta. I spent four great years here and pretty much wherever I look there's a distinct and happy memory. Other than my hometown, I don't know that I've ever felt so fully immersed in one place. Definitely a special little town.

Honorable Mention: Syracuse, Hartford and New Haven for sentimental reasons. Montreal because it feels like you're in a real foreign country and not just Canada.

Austin is the same way. New Orleans as well.

I'm shocked that New Orleans has live bands on a random weekday afternoon. In a bar. When the rest of the world is working.

I think one of the amazing things here is the consensus that Cape Cod is a city, according to Syracusefan.

Ha!

I should start a new thread: "what are your five favorite peninsulas?"

1. New York

2. San Fransisco

3. Chicago

4. Boston

5. Philadelphia
People rip State College but I had a good time there. Though I would not want to break down within a 100 mile radius of the town.

New Orleans
Montreal
Charleston
Branson, MO
Atlantic City

Can still prefer NYC and Syracuse when conditions are right

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics