OT: What countries have you been to? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: What countries have you been to?

Mexico, Canada, England, Netherlands, Bahamas, Bermuda, BVI, Costa Rica, Honduras, and live in Cayman.
This year I currently have Germany and Czech booked for Oktoberfest.

Canada doesn't count; it's a state : )

Austria - a day trip to Salzburg
Czech Republic - Prague is great, and extremely walkable. The air pollution (and resulting effects on the architecture) is really too bad.
Denmark - lived in Odense for 3 months. Really flat country.
France - Normandy Beach is a humbling experience. Also really liked Versaille and Mont St Michele.
Germany - family lives in Munich, so I just have to visit Oktoberfestland every couple years. Dangit.
Nepal - Annapurna Circuit trek, 13 days of hiking.
Norway - Bergen, fjords, and the heaviest snow I have ever experienced on the Lofoten Islands.
Spain - Granada and the Alhambra palace
Switzerland - Lausanne, Bern, Zurich, Geneva, Zermatt (the Matterhorn).
Turkey - Istanbul, Ephesus, Cappadocia (right on, Suttree), and one terrific sunset in Antalya.

Future targets: Iceland, Costa Rica, Brazil?

And want to go to?

Slow day at work. I enjoyed the vacation/favorite cities threads.

Been to: Canada (I'm guessing most will have this), Australia, Bahamas.

Want to go to: England, Italy, Argentina. A lot honestly, but these are probably top 3.

CANADA
ITALY
FRANCE
SWITZERLAND
ENGLAND
MEXICO

England
France
Germany
Switzerland
Monaco
Spain
Portugal
Jamaica
Bermuda
Bahamas
Canada
Puerto Rice, though doesn't really count

Canada
Mexico
Japan
Thailand
Hong Kong
UK
France
Germany
Netherlands
Switzerland
Denmark
Turkey
Italy
Belgium
Puerto Rico
St. Vincent & the Grenadines

Have been to:
Canada
Mexico
Jamaica
Bahamas
England
France
Monaco
Spain
Italy
Vatican City
Croatia
Greece
Turkey
Japan

Would like to get to:
Chile
Ireland
Germany
Czech Republic
South Africa
New Zealand

What I like best about this thread ... is how all our servicemen/veterans here ... post all the places to which they have been deployed. I never would have guessed Kuwait, Iraq and Afghanistan would have come up so frequently in such a thread... because I was thinking about vacation trips. On this Memorial Day weekend... cheers to our servicemen who have been to all those difficult places!

Lived in: Germany, Italy
Been to: England, France, Sweden, South Africa, Indonesia, Singapore, Portugal, Spain, Denmark, Austria, Netherlands, Turkey, Switzerland, Canada
I've been to most of the other little Western European countries (hello Lichtenstein!) but just on day trips.
Want to go to: India - I've worked with/been friends with Indians for the past 30 years & gotta go to the land of Ganesh before I die...

Been lucky to have traveled a bit,

USA (raised in Cuse, college in Boston, grad school in NYC)
Puerto Rico (yes i know it is not a country)
Canada
Mexico
Bahamas
Aruba
Costa Rica
Dominican Republic
Jamaica
Argentina
Uruguay
Brazil

England (where I live now)
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
France
Spain
Canary Islands
Portugal
Italy
Vatican City
Germany
Austria
Belgium
Croatia
The Netherlands
Switzerland
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Poland
Czech Republic
Russia
Greece
Turkey

Pakistan
Afghanistan (just sort of - briefly crossed the border at the Khyber Pass)
UAE
Morocco
Tanzania
Zanzibar (Tanzanian territory)
Zambia
South Africa

Australia
New Zealand
Thailand
Vietnam
Japan

Favorites:
Hanoi, Vietnam - beautiful throwback feel and raw edge about the city. If you go, stay at the Sofitel Metropole. Amazing French/Vietnamese hotel that makes you feel as though traveling to that part of the world is still a privileged experience for a westerner. It also would cost 5x in Europe or NYC.
Cape Town and surrounding areas - Geographically no cityscape can compare.
Ruaha National Park, Tanzania - wife and I went for our honeymoon. Unforgettable experience, amazingly nice and sincere people.
Dubrovnik, Croatia - medieval fortress town but what is best is the surrounding area. Beautiful landscapes everywhere and the best seafood I have had.
Patagonia, Argentina - hiking around Moreno Glacier and the clear skies that far south.
Ouarzazate, Morocco - the step into the desert, spending some time with some Berbers who live permanently in the desert is quite an experience.
The fjords of Norway - renting a car and driving around the fjords, ferries between the fjords and tunnels through mountains literally every 20-30 miles, including driving through the longest tunnel in the world at 16 miles. Ridiculously expensive country though.
Khyber Pass, Pakistan - the sheer scale of the place and the history of the people who have tried (and failed) to conquer is something, from Alexander the Great on.

Been lucky to have traveled a bit,

USA (born and raised in Cuse, college in Boston, grad school in NYC)
Puerto Rico (yes i know it is not a country)
Canada
Mexico
Bahamas
Aruba
Costa Rica
Dominican Republic
Jamaica
Argentina
Uruguay
Brazil

England (where I live now)
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
France
Spain
Canary Islands
Portugal
Italy
Vatican City
Germany
Austria
Belgium
Croatia
The Netherlands
Switzerland
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Poland
Czech Republic
Russia
Greece
Turkey

Pakistan
Afghanistan (just sort of - briefly crossed the border at the Khyber Pass)
UAE
Morocco
Tanzania
Zanzibar (Tanzanian territory)
Zambia
South Africa

Australia
New Zealand
Thailand
Vietnam
Japan

WOW. This could be the winner! That's awesome.

North America, been to every state (except Wisc, N and S Dakota, Kansas, Missouri and Arkansas). Been to every Canadian Province and Territory (except Nova Scotia, Manitoba and Saskatchewan). On my list:
Micronesian Islands of Marshall, Nauru and Palau,
The Czech Republic, and
Panama.
Everyplace on my list including USA and Canada has something essential in common that no other place has.

-Spain, France, Germany, Austria, Netherlands, Canada, China.

-Barcelona and Paris would be my favorites.

-Japan, Seoul, Kyiv, Ukraine (my heritage), Prague, Moscow, most of South America are on my list.

Here - all but aout 5 states including Alaska.
Canada - Toronto, Montreal, Quebec, Vancouver.
No Mexico...
Europe - Germany, Switzerland, Holland, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg, Holland, France, England. Nothing in the south of the continent.
Want to go - everywhere else. Send money.

I have been to: Canada, Mexico, Iceland, Norway, Spain, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Iraq. Some not under the most pleasant of circumstances.

Europe - Germany, Switzerland, Holland, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg, Holland, France, England. Nothing in the south of the continent.
... You must've really hated Holland to list it 3 times! Soooo, was it the "coffee" houses, or the red light district that you despised the most? Or was it the canals, the museums, the architecture and the ambience?

USSR (Moscow) - born and raised ... and freed in '81 - never been to the new Russia since, and have no desire to.
Estonia - Joyce, funny: my planned trip there this summer fell thru - enjoy! Spent large parts of childhood in the Tallin/Rakvere/Koesmu/Vosu area;
Lithuania
Ukraine (post breakup)
Belorussia (Belarus)
Georgia
Austria
Italy
Vatican
Spain
England
France
Belgium
Holland
Canada
Jamaica
Puerto Rico (I know)
Hawaii (ditto)
British Virgin Islands

Have been to Canada, Hong Kong, and last year to China for my son's traditional Chinese wedding. On the bucket list are Ireland, Germany, Austria, the beaches at Normandy, New Zealand and some of the Caribbean Islands.

OK, virtually all for work, but since you asked:

US, Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Spain, Portugal, UK (England and Scotland), Germany. Netherlands, Belgium, Hungary, Ireland, Switzerland, Qatar, Philippines, Malaysia, Japan, South Korea

USSR (Moscow) - born and raised ... and freed in '81 - never been to new Russia since, and have no desire to.
Estonia - Joyce, funny: my planned trip there this summer fell thru - enjoy! Spent large parts of childhood in the Tallin/Rakvere/Koesmu/Vosu area;
Lithuania
Ukraine (post breakup)
Belorussia
Austria
Italy
Vatican
Spain
England
France
Belgium
Holland
Canada
Jamaica
Puerto Rico (I know)
Hawaii (ditto)
British Virgin Islands

Interesting. Great list. One of my good friends married an Estonian girl (blond and hot) when she was studying in the states. He has been over there a bunch and absolutely LOVES it.

What's your take on Kyiv? I was raised Ukrainian and with all of those traditions/customs. I have never been but speak it fluently and know a little Russian. My cousin just got a job working for this law firm there so I have to go now. He dosn't really know the place well yet.

Here - all but aout 5 states including Alaska.
Canada - Toronto, Montreal, Quebec, Vancouver.
No Mexico...
Wow... It was late when I posted. Take out 2 Hollands, but add an Austria. All of Europe for me came a one month tour at 18 years old with American Music Abroad program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom