Outdoor Stadium | Syracusefan.com

Outdoor Stadium

bt4421

Walk On
Just wanted to resurrect a discussion for my benefit of getting opinions on the topic. From my high level view, I have favored an outdoor football facility. I think the dome artificial turf has been a source of increased injuries and has also been used against Syracuse by negative recruiting. The weather is not as bad as some will try to make it out to be. In fact our autumn's are warmer now and some of the nicest weather of the year. I think a new outdoor stadium seating 40 to 45k would make recruiting a bit easier.

Last edited:
Just wanted to resurrect a discussion for my benefit of getting opinions on the topic. From my high level view, I have favored an outdoor football facility. I think the dome artificial turf has been a source of increased injuries and has also been used against Syracuse by negative recruiting. The weather is not as bad as some will try to make it out to be. In fact our autumn's are warmer now and some of the nicest weather of the year. I think a new outdoor stadium seating 40 to 45k would make recruiting a bit easier.
The dome is part of the program’s identity. I believe it’s a mistake to move away from one of the few unique aspects of it. Plus, many outdoor stadiums also have artificial surfaces. I would support a retractable roof to take advantage of beautiful Central New York autumn days, but the costs make that a non-starter.

Clearly you didn't attend last night's outdoor soccer game.

If we had a home football game this weekend, we'd be facing a high of 41 degrees with 10 mph winds.

We used to have an outdoor stadium with grass. It would be mud by October, and they would have to paint the bare ground green in November.

And I'm NOT sitting outside to watch LAX in February.

pretty-good-curb-your-enthusiasm.gif

If we had a home football game this weekend, we'd be facing a high of 41 degrees with 10 mph winds.

We used to have an outdoor stadium with grass. It would be mud by October, and they would have to paint the bare ground green in November.

So every school in the country can play football outdors except Syracuse. Ok...

People never sat in Archbold in late November, when the temperature could be in the 30's. The wind up on the hill is like a wind tunnel. As a teenager watched a game up there where it was sunny, started to drizzle, rained, turned to snow, and cleared a place to kick a field goal. Was frozen by the time we left.
No thanks to an open air stadium on the hill.

People never sat in Archbold in late November, when the temperature could be in the 30's. The wind up on the hill is like a wind tunnel. As a teenager watched a game up there where it was sunny, started to drizzle, rained, turned to snow, and cleared a place to kick a field goal. Was frozen by the time we left.
Yeah. I was there at old Archibold also. But one more time I'll state my sarcasm. All schools in the country can play football outdoors except good ol Syracuse. OK. I'll crawl back in my cave now.

Last edited:
I had very similar experiences. I lived in Flint as a freshman and can recall running up the hill to my room to change clothes at halftime because of the changeable cold, wet weather. Some games it snowed so hard it was hard to even follow the game. No thanks.

Nothing wrong with throwing ideas out. But 2 main questions come to mind immediately.

Where would you put it?

How would you finance it?

Nine D-1 schools play in domes. South Dakota, North Dakota, Idaho State, Idaho, Northern Arizona, Northern Iowa, North Dakota State, and SU own/are the primary tenant user of theirs. UT-San Antonio plays in the Alamo Dome.
Sounds like we're in good company with a small hand full of FCS programs.

We have a multi purpose facility that we are in the midst of spending hundreds of millions of dollars on. My guess is that you haven't been in it recently.

It is used by 3 sports and 5 teams.

What do you advocate? Razing the dome, and building an outdoor stadium in its place?

And then building a facility for the basketball teams?

And then building another facility for the lacrosse teams?

How many hundreds of millions of dollars would this cost? Where would all this money come from? Do you think folks that have supplied the hundreds of millions to update the dome would be happy about being asked to supply hundreds of millions more because of your brainstorm?

All of this just to lower our injury rate for one sport? When many other peer schools also still play football on artificial turf?

I don't understand how your brain works and why you think this could possibly make sense.

Well maybe. But their programs are better than Syracuse's... so what does that tell us?

It doesn't tell me that the roof is the impediment to our success.

But there are plenty of other things. Many of which probably can't be overcome.

The local peers might be better than us this year (BC, Rutgers, Maryland), but not by much, and that's all cyclical. I left out Pitt because they share their facility with an NFL team. Ripping off the roof won't get us that. Then again, Pitt is terrible this year too.

They play outdoors in Florida, or Texas, or California? Imagine that.

Ironically, the new NFL stadiums in Texas, Arizona, Vegas, and Cali all have roofs.
Why only mention Southern schools and not cold weather schools? Oh well. I guess cuse fans now are as soft as this years team :)

Did you ever go to a outdoor football game at Syracuse? I did. It was awful. I mean, worse than you can imagine. After the 4th or 5th game, no one would go.
If you would read the thread you would know that I have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom