Class of 2017 - P Colby Barker (NY) / PWO TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 P Colby Barker (NY) / PWO TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE

Barker is transferring from Ohio State lacrosse to Syracuse football where he will be a walk-on punter.

Barker, a former standout lacrosse star at Pittsford High School in Western New York, elected to opt out of the 2021 lacrosse season due to the pandemic and other personal reasons. The 6-1, 199 pounder entered the NCAA transfer portal in the fall looking for a new challenge.

Barker graduates from Ohio State in May and will join the Syracuse program this summer.

Pittsford has become a good sports town. Lots of invested parents. This kid had a hell of a leg. The Barkers are good athletes. I'm hoping Colby can transition to football and make the most of his two years of eligibility. Pittsford had a punter name Adam Podlesh years back who played several years in the NFL. Maybe Colby can repeat that.

Pittsford has become a good sports town. Lots of invested parents. This kid had a hell of a leg. The Barkers are good athletes. I'm hoping Colby can transition to football and make the most of his two years of eligibility. Pittsford had a punter name Adam Podlesh years back who played several years in the NFL. Maybe Colby can repeat that

The last penn state lax player we almost had was chris hogan. Imagine him with Lemon, Sales, and West. Could have made a difference in the Minnesota, northwestern, Rutgers, and Cincinnati games

The last penn state lax player we almost had was chris hogan. Imagine him with Lemon, Sales, and West. Could have made a difference in the Minnesota, northwestern, Rutgers, and Cincinnati games

What's especially frustrating about that is that he was OURS. And doubly frustrating is that despite being a one-year college football player, he went on to have a lot of NFL level success. We could have used him.

Pittsford has become a good sports town. Lots of invested parents. This kid had a hell of a leg. The Barkers are good athletes. I'm hoping Colby can transition to football and make the most of his two years of eligibility. Pittsford had a punter name Adam Podlesh years back who played several years in the NFL. Maybe Colby can repeat that.
From HUDL it Looks like he was a three sport athlete in HS. Football, Basketball and Lacrosse.

Staff still doesn’t think Williams is ready for the big show?

What's especially frustrating about that is that he was OURS. And doubly frustrating is that despite being a one-year college football player, he went on to have a lot of NFL level success. We could have used him.

My question is this: he went to Monmouth and played. Monmouth plays FCS football. Are transfer rules different at that level? I don't think they are.

Did our compliance office not understand how to get him in? Was Monmouth's compliance office better?

My question is this: he went to Monmouth and played. Monmouth plays FCS football. Are transfer rules different at that level? I don't think they are.

Did our compliance office not understand how to get him in? Was Monmouth's compliance office better?

Fuzzy recollection -- he wasn't admitted to the SU program, so that killed the recruitment. He was set on coming here prior to that.

I also think that he had to go into a grad program not offered at PSU, so once he didn't get into the program he was interested in at SU, the only way he could attend SU would be to sluff into some program PSU didn't offer. He didn't like those alternative options once his top choice was off the table, so that effectively ended his interest in coming here.

Maybe Monmouth didn't pigeon hole him in that way.

Last edited:

Why is your first assumption that we suck?

Grad transferring is grad transferring, regardless of the level.

This was 10 years ago, so the process is much more sophisticated now. The heart of the rule is that you can grad transfer to another school to use your last year of eligibility if said school offers a grad program your school doesn't have. IIRC, that was the hang up in getting him from Penn State to Syracuse. Don't know what he studied at Monmouth, but they found something that worked.

TexanMark knows this story the best, as he was the one with the scoop.

Colby,
DA20FAF0-277F-4B62-97EE-0B07A34949DA.jpeg

Why is your first assumption that we suck?

Grad transferring is grad transferring, regardless of the level.

This was 10 years ago, so the process is much more sophisticated now. The heart of the rule is that you can grad transfer to another school to use your last year of eligibility if said school offers a grad program your school doesn't have. IIRC, that was the hang up in getting him from Penn State to Syracuse. Don't know what he studied at Monmouth, but they found something that worked.

TexanMark knows this story the best, as he was the one with the scoop.
I was asking a question, not assuming.

I don’t see this as being anything more than an athletic kid will be going to grad school at SU and wants to walk on the football team and have some fun.

Staff still doesn’t think Williams is ready for the big show?

Just asking a question? Why do that on a fan forum?
Since you asked and not to pick on you as it sounds like it it was unintentional, but it also came off as negative to me due to the phrasing.

You stated a supposition that Williams isn’t ready and asked for confirmation.
You also said “still” implying he wasn’t ready last year and not that he got beat out by a 5th year member of the team who kicked well enough to have a potential shot at the NFL.

I don’t see this as being anything more than an athletic kid will be going to grad school at SU and wants to walk on the football team and have some fun.
Imagine being so physically skilled that you can decide to switch D1 sports and go play at another P5 school. Regardless of walk-on/position that’s damn impressive haha

Imagine being so physically skilled that you can decide to switch D1 sports and go play at another P5 school. Regardless of walk-on/position that’s damn impressive haha
Colby is a good athlete. Did a little of everything in football. His lacrosse team was stacked. They were by far the best team in the state his senior year. They lost the state chip game. It was one of the worse breakdowns I've seen in a state chip game. No way they should have lost that day. I felt so bad for those kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom