Paul Chryst from Pitt to Wisconssin | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Paul Chryst from Pitt to Wisconssin

Wisconsin: According to USA TODAY's George Schroeder, Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez met with Greg Schiano on Thursday. ESPN's Brett McMurphy reports that the meeting was "real informal."

Huh? Barry da weasel strikes again? I'll bet he's worried that Michigan would go after Schiano and thus get Jersey as a Michigan territory. Wisconsin has always done well there and that would take a huge hit if Schiano goes to the Blue.

He had a QB--Joe Flacco.

I may be wrong but I think Flacco was a Walt Harris player.

I recall him playing behind Tyler Palko.

I think he left before Wannstedt actually replaced Harris.

The fact is that Wannstedt finished with nine, ten and seven wins at Pitt, with three straight bowl games and very strong western PA recruiting.

He should never have been fired. That was another of many mistakes made by AD Steve Pederson over the years.

He had a QB--Joe Flacco.

The Flacco thing really put Wanny in a tough spot. Palko's father coaches at West Allegheny, one of the best football programs in the state. Palko also was a pretty good collegiate QB. It's tough to bench him for Flacco and risk pissing off a feeder program for Pitt.

I may be wrong but I think Flacco was a Walt Harris player.

I recall him playing behind Tyler Palko.

I think he left before Wannstedt actually replaced Harris.

The fact is that Wannstedt finished with nine, ten and seven wins at Pitt, with three straight bowl games and very strong western PA recruiting.

He should never have been fired. That was another of many mistakes made by AD Steve Pederson over the years.
CIL knows more about it than I do. My recollection is that Wanny had to choose between the two, and he took Palko.

CIL knows more about it than I do. My recollection is that Wanny had to choose between the two, and he took Palko.

I did a bit of research.

Flacco left Pitt after the 2004 season - while Walt Harris was the coach.

While Harris was the coach, Joe played only minutes in 2004 - he only one completion that year. And as we have noted, played behind Tyler Palko, who was a very good college QB. I recall that Coach P loved Tyler and really wanted him at SU - that would have been a nice thing.

I presume that Flacco was drawn to Pitt because Harris was at the time considered a QB guru.

He never actually played for Wannstedt, whose first year was 2005.

So, I don't think one can pin anything on Wanny over the Flacco situation.

But, it is true that he was never able to recruit a solid or effective QB.

Despite that, he still won nine games in 2008 and ten games in 2009 and went to a bowl with seven wins in 2010.

Steve Pederson fired him and has had a circus ever since. Pederson was also the guy who dumped the reference "Pitt" to the chagrin of many Panther fans the first time he was AD for the school. He then left and went west to Nebraska where he fired Frank Solich following a nine win season. He brought in Bill Callahan who drove the program to new lows.

My suggestion for Pitt fans - fire Pederson.

Wisconsin: The Wisconsin Journal Sentinel is reporting that Wisconsin defensive coordinator / linebackers coach Dave Aranda could remain on with the new staff. In addition, Pittsburgh assistant head coach / offensive coordinator/ tight ends coach Joe Rudolph could return to Wisconsin. Rudolph coached the tight ends from 2008-11 at Wisconsin.

I did a bit of research.

Flacco left Pitt after the 2004 season - while Walt Harris was the coach.

While Harris was the coach, Joe played only minutes in 2004 - he only one completion that year. And as we have noted, played behind Tyler Palko, who was a very good college QB. I recall that Coach P loved Tyler and really wanted him at SU - that would have been a nice thing.

I presume that Flacco was drawn to Pitt because Harris was at the time considered a QB guru.

But, it is true that he was never able to recruit a solid or effective QB.

Despite that, he still won nine games in 2008 and ten games in 2009 and went to a bowl with seven wins in 2010.

Steve Pederson fired him and has had a circus ever since. Pederson was also the guy who dumped the reference "Pitt" to the chagrin of many Panther fans the first time he was AD for the school. He then left and went west to Nebraska where he fired Frank Solich following a nine win season. He brought in Bill Callahan who drove the program to new lows.

My suggestion for Pitt fans - fire Pederson.

Wanny wouldn't release him from his scholarship. It was kind of an ugly situation. Wanny loved Flacco's talent but was also had a productive QB in Palko on staff.

Wanny wouldn't release him from his scholarship. It was kind of an ugly situation. Wanny loved Flacco's talent but was also had a productive QB in Palko on staff.

Right.

He never played for Wannstedt.

Wannstedt never had a solid QB at Pitt and that was a significant problem for him.

Wisconsin: The Wisconsin Journal Sentinel is reporting that Wisconsin defensive coordinator / linebackers coach Dave Aranda could remain on with the new staff. In addition, Pittsburgh assistant head coach / offensive coordinator/ tight ends coach Joe Rudolph could return to Wisconsin. Rudolph coached the tight ends from 2008-11 at Wisconsin.
Some of the fans on the Pitt board are clamoring for Rudolph to be the new HC at Pitt. Where he ends up could play a big role in the success of these two programs in coming years. Something to keep an eye on.

The thing about Pelini is the luggage he brings, I doubt he was fired for solely his record, guy is a pain in the arse and hot head. Mile Riley is everything that Pelini isn't, which would be a professional and a gentleman. Mike is a good coach, not easy competing with what is now the big green machine 45 minutes south.

Pitt could do a lot worse than Bo though

pittsburgh is interesting to me. in general, if you have efficient passing (passer rating), you're going to be pretty good. pitt was 26th this year, 19th in 2012 but they only went 6-6 and 6-7

Lost a lot of close games both of those years, I don't know how much of that falls on Chryst

pittsburgh is interesting to me. in general, if you have efficient passing (passer rating), you're going to be pretty good. pitt was 26th this year, 19th in 2012 but they only went 6-6 and 6-7

Lost a lot of close games both of those years, I don't know how much of that falls on Chryst

Yeah - they were one of the best teams we played with nice offensive and defensive numbers nationally. Their record is the outlier.

Yeah - they were one of the best teams we played with nice offensive and defensive numbers nationally. Their record is the outlier.
they don't throw it enough. 118th in attempts

let's hope that continues

they don't throw it enough. 118th in attempts

let's hope that continues

I'm not sure they have anyone besides Boyd that can catch. Plus - with their big bruiser at RB - it made sense for the Wisky bred meat head coach to run a lot.

(Threw the meathead in there just for you - early Christmas present).

I'm not sure they have anyone besides Boyd that can catch. Plus - with their big bruiser at RB - it made sense for the Wisky bred meat head coach to run a lot.

(Threw the meathead in there just for you - early Christmas present).
they should throw to boyd more! those stats are nuts, he has over half their receiving yards

The thing about Pelini is the luggage he brings, I doubt he was fired for solely his record, guy is a pain in the arse and hot head. Mile Riley is everything that Pelini isn't, which would be a professional and a gentleman. Mike is a good coach, not easy competing with what is now the big green machine 45 minutes south.

Pitt could do a lot worse than Bo though

A bit of Ditka in him, might be appealing to the Panthers.

Some of the fans on the Pitt board are clamoring for Rudolph to be the new HC at Pitt. Where he ends up could play a big role in the success of these two programs in coming years. Something to keep an eye on.

Is Randolph coaching the bowl game or is Chryst?

This isn't completely true. When Wanny took over at the end of the 2004 season, he promised Flacco a legitimate chance to win the starting QB job. By the end of spring camp, it was obvious to him that Palko was still the starter, so he looked to transfer. Wanny wanted Flacco to stick around as the back-up (and eventually the starter when Palko graduated in 2006), but Joe would have only had 1 year of eligibility left at that point. Wanny was a dick and wouldn't give Flacco his release, so he had to sit a year at Delaware and pay his own tuition, room & board.

This isn't completely true. When Wanny took over at the end of the 2004 season, he promised Flacco a legitimate chance to win the starting QB job. By the end of spring camp, it was obvious to him that Palko was still the starter, so he looked to transfer. Wanny wanted Flacco to stick around as the back-up (and eventually the starter when Palko graduated in 2006), but Joe would have only had 1 year of eligibility left at that point. Wanny was a dick and wouldn't give Flacco his release, so he had to sit a year at Delaware and pay his own tuition, room & board.

Read.

Flacco never played for Wannstedt.

By the fall of 2005 he was gone.

He liked Flacco and wanted him to stay - hence his refusal to give the release - similar to what Boeheim did with Jason Hart - but Flacco left.

So, go ahead and blame Wannstedt for wanting Flacco to stay and for being honest that Palko would be the starter in 2005?

Okay.

But that again misses the point. Wannstedt was never able to recruit a solid QB at Pitt. Got it?

Read.

Flacco never played for Wannstedt.

By the fall of 2005 he was gone.

He liked Flacco and wanted him to stay - hence his refusal to give the release - similar to what Boeheim did with Jason Hart - but Flacco left.

So, go ahead and blame Wannstedt for wanting Flacco to stay and for being honest that Palko would be the starter in 2005?

Okay.

But that again misses the point. Wannstedt was never able to recruit a solid QB at Pitt. Got it?
Flacco played for Wannstedt in spring practice.

Palko was a nice college QB, and had a cup of coffee in the NFL. But, he turned out to be not as good as Flacco. Wannstedt had an opportunity to elevate Flacco to the starter position. Would have been comparable to Harbaugh's decision to play Kaepernick over Smith.

Oregon State: According to Andy Baggot of the Wisconsin State Journal, Wisconsin offensive line coach T.J. Woods and defensive line coach Chad Kauha'aha'a are expected to join Gary Andersen's staff at Oregon State.

Wisconsin: CoachingSearch has learned that Paul Chryst will indeed be the Badgers’ next head coach. Human resources has to take its course. Pitt defensive coordinator / linebackers coach Matt House is expected to follow Chryst, but not as the defensive coordinator. Pitt offensive coordinator / tight ends coach Joe Rudolph will also be a part of Chryst’s staff. Rudolph previously coached at Wisconsin from 2008-11 as tight ends coach.