pearl washington | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

pearl washington

Had no shot outside of 14 feet (except one). Couldn't dunk. Not a great assist - turnover ratio. He was simply awesome.
For those too young to have seen him play.
It's good to be reminded of his on-court brilliance.

Two traits that stand out (and that have been mostly forgotten in the modern game)--his ability to make ultra slick moves on the dribble without palming the ball; and the regular use of the soft bank shot.

I wasn't around to see him play but he's of course a syracuse legend and from what I hear a great ambassador. Hope for the best.

What made him so great? Competitive nature?

Am I wrong for being incredibly irritated by the fact that ESPN.com doesn't have anything about this anywhere on the site? I mean, it's only one of the guys who put them on the ***king map in the 80s, why would they care, right?

CBS Sports has it on the front page of their college hoops section, by the way.

Best wishes to the Pearl. My love for Syracuse basketball began in the glory days of the 80's. Just as the Babe built Yankee Stadium, the Pearl built the Dome. I'll never forget during my semester abroad in the Fall of 1985 in Vienna, Austria and seeing the face of Pearl Washington gracing the cover of the Big East Conference yearbook on a local newsstand there - I didn't expect to see that there but what a welcome surprise! Pearl's smiling face after he just made someone look foolish with that amazing crossover always made me smile. I've always wondered and I'm sure he has what would have happened had he played alongside the General his Senior year - it would have been a hell of a show! Get well Pearl - we're rooting for you just as we always have and always will.

I wasn't around to see him play but he's of course a syracuse legend and from what I hear a great ambassador. Hope for the best.

It was just natural for him to play basketball. Watching him out on the floor was akin to watching someone pour fine wine into a glass.

You didn't ever want to miss a game lest you miss seeing something you'd never seen before.
Perhaps the best off hand dribble - ever.
He was never fearful but always feared.

Last edited:
Faster & quicker with the ball...rare
Watching that video really shows how good he was at deception. He could get guys to fall down by shifting his shoulders and then just crossing over the other way. And when he got the guy on his heels, he raised up for a 15 foot jumper. He was also great at using his body, he was a pretty big guy for a guard at the time, he would jump into a guy and kind of pin him down and get his shot off. Very smart. He changed the game. Out of context, that video isn't as impressive, but understanding how the game was at the time, he was groundbreaking and thus legendary.

I have a friend who played for Nova back in the day...he just sent me this note after I sent him the Pearl highlights:

bunch of the 'nova 85 guys were texting last night about saying prayer for pearl ..

Oh, man.

Thoughts and prayers to Pearl and his family and his many friends and fans.