pearl washington | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

pearl washington

You didn't ever want to miss a game lest you miss seeing something you'd never seen before.
Perhaps the best off hand dribble - ever.
He was never fearful but always feared.
Bingo
The ball was like it was on a string in his hands. Unbelieveable crossover moves. He could just shimmy and shake all the way to layups or short stop and pops. Impossible to press.
and Bam!
Faster & quicker with the ball...rare
(Boom)

I wasn't around to see him play but he's of course a syracuse legend and from what I hear a great ambassador. Hope for the best.

What made him so great? Competitive nature?
He was a basketball player, plain and simple, and he would do whatever it took to beat you.

I'm a Georgetown '78 graduate (was in a few classes with Chancellor Syverud over the years). Pearl Washington was one of those players that made the Hoya-Orange rivalry so spectacular. We hated and feared him, and admired and respected him at the same time. Very good guy and great player. He was a most formidable adversary, who deservedly earned our great respect.

On behalf of my fellow Hoyas, we are all praying for a full and complete recovery for Pearl, and we all have him in our thoughts on the eve of surgery.

After that, we can then get back to hating each other for the usual reasons.

Like many here, I got to meet a few famous people in my life and get a pic with them. Only one made me want to go home and try and find a way to blow it up as big as possible. Made me shovel snow off the courts at Onondaga park and try and imitate his every move. I got to tell him in person this past fall, that he was a huge influence on me and I was a better person because of him. Beat this obstacle in front of you, like you always have Pearl!!

You didn't ever want to miss a game lest you miss seeing something you'd never seen before.
Perhaps the best off hand dribble- ever.
He was never fearful but always feared.
Agreed.
Pearl's left hand was what made him extra special, IMO. He could fake you out just by use of that off-hand.
Have never seen anyone come close to that gift he had.
Period.

Last edited:
One of my all time favorite memories is Pearl bringing the ball up court, every dribble a crossover perfectly done, every crossover cleanly linked to the next, without missing a beat or slowing down, perfect control. Reggie Miller said that Pearl had the best crossover.

One of my all time favorite memories is Pearl bringing the ball up court, every dribble a crossover perfectly done, every crossover cleanly linked to the next, without missing a beat or slowing down, perfect control. Reggie Miller said that Pearl had the best crossover.
And Tim Hardaway learned his crossover by watching Pearl.

The ball was like it was on a string in his hands. Unbelieveable crossover moves. He could just shimmy and shake all the way to layups or short stop and pops. Impossible to press.

Amazing.

The clips at 3:53, 4:30, and 4:49 defy words. What a handle! Iconic plays.

Do yourself a favor and watch those highlight clips--it will be the fastest five minutes you ever spend.

Last edited:
If it wasn't for Pearl I wouldn't be "here" (on this forum, a diehard SU hoops fanatic). He made a 12-year-old me sit transfixed in front of a TV with jaw agape. Since my dad was (is!) a college hoops junkie I had already seen lots and lots of games and tons of special players. It wasn't until I saw Pearl, though, that I fell head-over-heels in love with a player. In my book he's the most exciting college guard to ever play.
Get better, #31.

Last edited:
We lived in the time of the "Pearl", my prayers and thoughts have been with you since I first heard the news. The pearl is the reason I am a diehard fan since seven when I watched him in the dome with dad and the rest of the "Allied" gang. Jim Boeheim built the Syracuse program, the pearl built the big east,and college basketball was forever changed after, the Pearl/Ewing era.

RF2044 said:
Amazing. The clips at 3:53, 4:30, and 4:49 defy words. What a handle! Iconic plays. Do yourself a favor and watch those highlight clips--it will be the fastest five minutes you ever spend.

Yep. Those three ...in the context of game situations...watching them live, just Indescribable feeling.

It was like watching Luke Skywalker take down the death star.