Pernetti is out | Syracusefan.com

Pernetti is out

Honestly, he shouldn't be fired if he based his decision to keep Mike Rice based on advice from RU in-house counsel, but if in-house counsel didn't advice him he should get canned. RU fans are in full meltdown now and if we weren't in the Final Four it would be entertaining, but since we are I could care less. With that said Pernetti turned the ultimate chickens#it into chicken salad by some how convincing Delany that RU could justify getting the BTN on NYC and NJ cable boxes and getting RU into the B1G. Talk about buyers remorse and its even funnier watching all the bile come out of UConn fans now.

Whats good for the goose...

When the whole Bernie story came out RU fans in general were reveling in it and calling for the dismissal of Boeheim and Gross. What goes around...

RU athletics and their delusional fanbase. I wonder how ironclad that B1G agreement is?

the guy answered a phone call and became a god- i love the how he got them a big invite crap-

all he did was answer a call -pretty much what gross did-

thats the only thing he ever did-just like the school he has no trophy's

Whatever is bad for Rutgers makes me happy.

However, when I look at this impartially, I think it's a bad move...UNLESS the rumors are true about Pernetti trying to pay off the assistant coach to not release the tape to the media. That would certainly be a firable offense. Otherwise, firing him is wrong imo.

the guy answered a phone call and became a god- i love the how he got them a big invite crap-

all he did was answer a call -pretty much what gross did-

thats the only thing he ever did-just like the school he has no trophy's

Going to disagree with this part of it. I think Cantor wanting, and Gross delivering, a more well-rounded athletics program overall is what helped us get that phone call over UConn and Rutgers.

Rutgers has been about location, location, location from the get go.

Cheers,
Neil

I am surprised this happened, if only due to the fact that RU seemed to have the guy on a pedestal because of the B1G. A lot of posters on their board now threatening to pull all donations/support to RU athletics. Total meltdown.

Pernetti's firing basically confirms to me this country is crazy. The man is an RU alum, was one of the FEW good things the University's athletics department had on its side, had TV executive experience, could speak well. The man got Rice tapes in June 2012 went to RU in-house counsel who advised him that the tapes didn't warrant termination. During the same time was able to Jedi mind trick Jim Delany into throwing RU a LIFESAVER and getting them into the B1G, and then he punished Mike Rice in December. Should Pernetti have fired Mike Rice in December? Yes, but if in-house counsel reviewed the tapes and told him it wasn't mandatory then he did nothing wrong other than decide not to fire a bully coach. Pernetti is going because this country has BECOME to sensitive and overactive to EVERYTHING. I don't think the man should lose his job because public sentiment demands the coach be fired. Simple fact if a successful coach was on tape doing what Mike Rice did they then Pernetti would have survived, but because this punk Mike Rice wasn't successful Pernetti could have jettisoned him and won the court of people appeal. Pernetti shouldn't have been fired here, but since it hurts Rutgers oh well.

I actually had the feeling Pernetti was untouchable at Buttgirls.

Politicians made keeping him untenable, plus faculty and Gay/Lesbian groups were apparently revolting on campus, he was never going to survive despite the efforts of the few RU fans on there board to try and drum up support. I hate to revel in this but one of the biggest Cuse haters over there has been trying everythign to get support for Pernetti and pretty much said there was no way he could be let go, Needless to say there entire board is melting down and there starting to turn on each other.

The man got Rice tapes in June 2012 went to RU in-house counsel who advised him that the tapes didn't warrant termination. .
You have no idea what their in house counsel told him.

Does Pernetti replace Gross when he leaves with Nancy?

Pernetti's firing basically confirms to me this country is crazy. The man is an RU alum, was one of the FEW good things the University's athletics department had on its side, had TV executive experience, could speak well. The man got Rice tapes in June 2012 went to RU in-house counsel who advised him that the tapes didn't warrant termination. During the same time was able to Jedi mind trick Jim Delany into throwing RU a LIFESAVER and getting them into the B1G, and then he punished Mike Rice in December. Should Pernetti have fired Mike Rice in December? Yes, but if in-house counsel reviewed the tapes and told him it wasn't mandatory then he did nothing wrong other than decide not to fire a bully coach. Pernetti is going because this country has BECOME to sensitive and overactive to EVERYTHING. I don't think the man should lose his job because public sentiment demands the coach be fired. Simple fact if a successful coach was on tape doing what Mike Rice did they then Pernetti would have survived, but because this punk Mike Rice wasn't successful Pernetti could have jettisoned him and won the court of people appeal. Pernetti shouldn't have been fired here, but since it hurts Rutgers oh well.

This is perfect payback for all the grandstanding Rutgers did around the IMUS "controversy".

All the feigned outrage and all the media "logrolling" they used then to take advantage of that situation came back around to bite them in the ass.

How do you know what the legal counsel told him, other than reading scarletnation.com?

And the whole faculty was/still is calling for Pernetti and the President to be canned. Are they as over reactive as the country and ESPN?

We are raising a nation of hyper-sensitive sissies. People worry about the math and science gap with foreign countries and not enough about the toughness gap.

The modern day reaction to Pearl Harbor would be to attempt to sue the Japanese in court and then search around for how we provoked them and that it really wasn't their fault.

My high school coaches were tough on us ... even physically. My drill instructor was a lot meaner than they were. We survived.

Let me disclose I am a lawyer and ANY lawyer that has passed the MPRE knows that if your client brings you something to assess you can't tell them what they want to hear or your subject to discipline from the bar. I am assuming that if the RU-in house counsel wasn't a shepdog and did whatever Pernetti told him to do he would have advised Pernetti of his options to 1. terminate with cause, 2. terminate without cause or 3. suspend Mike Rice. Obviously those tapes required some punishment as they are deplorable and unbecoming conduct, but if the in-house counsel told Pernetti that the violations on the tape didn't require IMMEDIATE termination with cause then it was within Pernetti's right to just suspend Mike Rice. Most people would believe that conduct should result in termination, but if Pernetti consulted with RU's in-house counsel then all he is guilty of making a decision that was unpopular. Mike Rice should have been fired, but Tim Pernetti is going in down flames here because of public outcry. I don't like Rutgers and think their fanbase is the worst in the USA, but Pernetti is going down because this country demands BLOOD on any outrage nowadays and he is the next body. These politicians see points for acting stupid and they got the man fired which is good for us who don't like Rutgers.

I am amazed how little I actually care about this story...not only because we are in the FF, but because its Rutgers. Who honestly cares what happens with that athletic program any longer.

We are raising a nation of hyper-sensitive sissies. People worry about the math and science gap with foreign countries and not enough about the toughness gap.

The modern day reaction to Pearl Harbor would be to attempt to sue the Japanese in court and then search around for how we provoked them and that it really wasn't their fault.

My high school coaches were tough on us ... even physically. My drill instructor was a lot meaner than they were. We survived.
Puh-lease. I'm a frequent rider on the "grow up" bus -- but this is a bad example. Here's a public employee making ethnic slurs and calling kids "faggots" at a school where a kid jumped off the George Washington Bridge due to perceived harassment. He's not worth Rutgers' trouble.

A pattern at Rutgers!

This is the second Rutgers AD in a row to be fired or to be forced to resign in disgrace. Pernetti was a TV exec, not an AD. Not surprisingly he was incompetent as a manager. Mulcahy was a politician and a crook (although in NJ those two words are synonymous).

This is the umpteeth basketball coach in a row to go down in flames. Waters is the only one to escape by limping back to Cleveland State, his reputation in tatters.

Lacrosse coach, Jim Stagnitta, came from Washington & Lee with a great reputation as a program builder and a winner. A couple of years at Rutgers and his career is in shambles.

All this and all the losing when taken as a totality show that this is a school that just cannot be successful. There's something in the water or the air.

It's not hard to be average.

Puh-lease. I'm a frequent rider on the "grow up" bus -- but this is a bad example. Here's a public employee making ethnic slurs and calling kids "faggots" at a school where a kid jumped off the George Washington Bridge due to perceived harassment. He's not worth Rutgers' trouble.

Todd ... ever hear, "sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me". ?

Those players knew they weren't really being accused of being homosexuals. The term was being used to describe weakness or unwillingness to compete in all probability.

The video taping of that kid in real homosexual acts and the posting of it on the net is not the same thing.

Pernetti was fired because he made a very poor decision in December not to fire Coach Rice, no matter what the in house counsel advised him to do. Counsel was there to advise, not to make the decision for him.

And he chose poorly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom