Pernetti is out | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pernetti is out

Why wasn't Rice fired in December. I honestly don't understand. He isn't a great coach and he wasn't delivering on the court and raising Buttgers basketball. There is no reason to protect him. Does anyone know the reason?

Todd ... ever hear, "sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me". ?

Those players knew they weren't really being accused of being homosexuals. The term was being used to describe weakness or unwillingness to compete in all probability.

The video taping of that kid in real homosexual acts and the posting of it on the net is not the same thing.

And how about the basketballs that he catapulted at kids faces? If that's not a fireable offense, I don't know what is.

I've had enough of the "toughen up" crowd on this issue. None of this was acceptable and he should have been fired back in December. CASE CLOSED.

Rutgers was the school where a gay student committed suicide after being bullied. Say what you will, but don't blame the school for their "hyper-sensetitvity" over bullying and racial slurs.

Pernetti's firing basically confirms to me this country is crazy. The man is an RU alum, was one of the FEW good things the University's athletics department had on its side, had TV executive experience, could speak well. The man got Rice tapes in June 2012 went to RU in-house counsel who advised him that the tapes didn't warrant termination. During the same time was able to Jedi mind trick Jim Delany into throwing RU a LIFESAVER and getting them into the B1G, and then he punished Mike Rice in December. Should Pernetti have fired Mike Rice in December? Yes, but if in-house counsel reviewed the tapes and told him it wasn't mandatory then he did nothing wrong other than decide not to fire a bully coach. Pernetti is going because this country has BECOME to sensitive and overactive to EVERYTHING. I don't think the man should lose his job because public sentiment demands the coach be fired. Simple fact if a successful coach was on tape doing what Mike Rice did they then Pernetti would have survived, but because this punk Mike Rice wasn't successful Pernetti could have jettisoned him and won the court of people appeal. Pernetti shouldn't have been fired here, but since it hurts Rutgers oh well.
Agree. But the #1 reason he is going is because once the phony, hypocritical politicians (Governor and state legislature) started grandstanding he was toast. The university president also needed another head to roll to save his own. Pernetti is a very good AD but he made a mistake by not firing Rice in Nov. (shouldn't have hired the lunatic in the first place) and now it costs him his job because of the political considerations. He'll get another AD job after a period of time. Rice is done permanently.

Todd ... ever hear, "sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me". ?

Those players knew they weren't really being accused of being homosexuals. The term was being used to describe weakness or unwillingness to compete in all probability.

The video taping of that kid in real homosexual acts and the posting of it on the net is not the same thing.
So you agree that he was using "faggots" as a slur, right? I care less about Dane Miller in this situation -- he's a big kid who can take care of himself -- than the unathletic gay 15-year-old in Hoboken who already feels out of place -- and now sees a high-profile coach use the term to bring down Division I athletes. A public university can't let that slide. "Back in the day" we also used to brush domestic and child abuse under the rug -- we now know better.

Why wasn't Rice fired in December. I honestly don't understand. He isn't a great coach and he wasn't delivering on the court and raising Buttgers basketball. There is no reason to protect him. Does anyone know the reason?
I believe the November/December news reports only included the parts about throwing balls and course language -- not the ethnic or homosexual slurs. That's what did him in.

Pernetti's firing basically confirms to me this country is crazy. The man is an RU alum, was one of the FEW good things the University's athletics department had on its side, had TV executive experience, could speak well. The man got Rice tapes in June 2012 went to RU in-house counsel who advised him that the tapes didn't warrant termination. During the same time was able to Jedi mind trick Jim Delany into throwing RU a LIFESAVER and getting them into the B1G, and then he punished Mike Rice in December. Should Pernetti have fired Mike Rice in December? Yes, but if in-house counsel reviewed the tapes and told him it wasn't mandatory then he did nothing wrong other than decide not to fire a bully coach. Pernetti is going because this country has BECOME to sensitive and overactive to EVERYTHING. I don't think the man should lose his job because public sentiment demands the coach be fired. Simple fact if a successful coach was on tape doing what Mike Rice did they then Pernetti would have survived, but because this punk Mike Rice wasn't successful Pernetti could have jettisoned him and won the court of people appeal. Pernetti shouldn't have been fired here, but since it hurts Rutgers oh well.
Totally agree, but it's a political story now.

The facts regarding the in-house counsel advice are very important details that I hadn't heard of. At the very least that should have gotten him a nice going away present, as that is a pretty strong piece of evidence for a wrongful termination suit.

But once Christie got involved, it was over for Pernetti. The public doesn't care about details. In politics, if you're explaining, you're losing. And that paragraph above is all explaining, and no one really wants to hear it.

At the end of the day, Mike Rice threw basketballs at kids heads. Pernetti saw the tape, and let him still keep his job. Regardless of any advice he got, that's all the public will ever really know about it.

They were in the middle of the move to the Big 10. He couldn't risk rocking the boat. Also, he was his hand picked guy who came in with red flags.

all he did was answer a call -pretty much what gross did-

Disagree with that. From the first day he was hired TGD talked about how SU would be a good fit for a more established conference. You don't think the whole NY's College Team thing was to help position SU? I do.

All this Grumpy Old Man- "In my day..." logic, seems to ignore the fact that it was Pernetti that dug his own grave.
What made his situation untenable was his weak attempts at JUSTIFYING his actions via those rambling ESPN and WFAN interviews. He misjudged the reactions to that tape in more ways and more times, than just one.
Also, whenever a public figure gets embroiled in a scandal its usually no one else's fault but themselves. Pernetti left the door open for all the BS to be tossed his way. To blame the "usual suspects" for taking advantage of his mistakes, is an exercise in futility, IMO.
If he'd handled the situation better in the 1st place, he wouldn't be in the situation he now finds himself in. Period.

nope
Disagree with that. From the first day he was hired TGD talked about how SU would be a good fit for a more established conference. You don't think the whole NY's College Team thing was to help position SU? I do.

acc calls and asks-dr gross wanna join the acc-yup sure do

acc called the program a second time-we didnt call them

Wrong. Any moron that watched that tape that was more concerned with what was right than covering up would have fired that dude immediately. That is abuse. There is no over reaction. There is a reason the people who are directly related to the program are pissed and want him gone when it would be in their best interests to not have that happen.

Did you see the footage of his assitant? It is freaking nutz. It is a STATE SCHOOL...people's dont want to see their tax dollars supporting such antics.

We are raising a nation of hyper-sensitive sissies. People worry about the math and science gap with foreign countries and not enough about the toughness gap.

The modern day reaction to Pearl Harbor would be to attempt to sue the Japanese in court and then search around for how we provoked them and that it really wasn't their fault.

My high school coaches were tough on us ... even physically. My drill instructor was a lot meaner than they were. We survived.

You do realize these are basketball players and not soldiers? We expect a certain type of toughness and ability to handle abuse from those defending our nation...we dont expect this same type of training to seep into our kids who are learning ing basketball

You do realize these are basketball players and not soldiers? We expect a certain type of toughness and ability to handle abuse from those defender our nation...we dont expect this same type of training to seep into our kids who are learning basketball
But if the kids who are there, the ones getting the 'abuse' don't care and are ok with it...then all the nancies in shock, shouldn't get their way.

But if the kids who are there, the ones getting the 'abuse' don't care and are ok with it...then all the nancies in shock, shouldn't get their way.

two words

stockholm syndrome.

The "back in my day" and "turning into a nation of p******" contingent is funny. They lament the fact that we need to "toughen up" but at the same time complain that modern society is too crass and doesn't have any morals and that times were better in the 40s/50s/60s. It seems like any point in history where it was acceptable for an educator to call one of his students a "faggot" or a "Lithuanian p****" was a crappy place to live. This doesn't even take into consideration the fact that Rice assaulted his players. And Pernetti made his own bed when he went on tv and defended his pathetic inaction.

Your response to this is suggesting a clear generation gap.

You're right -- they shouldn't have run Paterno out of town because those kids let Sandusky abuse them for years. And not a peep!

You do realize these are basketball players and not soldiers? We expect a certain type of toughness and ability to handle abuse from those defender our nation...we dont expect this same type of training to seep into our kids who are learning basketball

They are Big East athletes, they aren't learning basketball, Rutgers jokes aside

Rice is nuts, but I bet if we secretely taped every practice from high school on up people would be really horrified.

They are Big East athletes, they aren't learning basketball, Rutgers jokes aside

Rice is nuts, but I bet if we secretely taped every practice from high school on up people would be really horrified.

We might be..and that would not make it right at any single instant.

Reactions: 007

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom