Pernetti is out | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Pernetti is out

In my experience, the "toughen up" crowd are the first ones to revolt if someone in power treats their child harshly or differently. If Bobby Knight throws a chair at some recruit, he had it coming. If Bobby Knight throws a chair at their kid, he's an abusive a-hole that doesn't know his a** from a hole in the ground.

Hiroki Kuroda spells out what going through the Japanese baseball academies was like.

ESPN photographer @ Rutgers just got hit by water balloon; ESPN crew was called "vultures."

Wow...Pernetti is taking the President down.

If this is true...

As you know, my first instincts when I saw the videotape of Coach Rice's behavior was to fire him immediately.

...then this is going to get more and more ugly...

This is going to get real bad.....

popcorn.gif

Barchi maintains he did not see the video.

Absolutely unacceptable and not even a little believable.

Todd ... ever hear, "sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me". ?

Those players knew they weren't really being accused of being homosexuals. The term was being used to describe weakness or unwillingness to compete in all probability.

The video taping of that kid in real homosexual acts and the posting of it on the net is not the same thing.

So, in other words, you're saying that in certain context, it is acceptable to use that word. I think that tells me all I need to know about how much stock to put into your stance on the matter.

There is a reporter who is just grilling Barchi.

"How could you not find a half hour to watch that video when your head coach is suspended 3 games?"

Politicians made keeping him untenable, plus faculty and Gay/Lesbian groups were apparently revolting on campus, he was never going to survive despite the efforts of the few RU fans on there board to try and drum up support. I hate to revel in this but one of the biggest Cuse haters over there has been trying everythign to get support for Pernetti and pretty much said there was no way he could be let go, Needless to say there entire board is melting down and there starting to turn on each other.

Pernetti had to go because of what he did financially to the university with his insane amount of investment in their football program, back when Monkey Face was on the sidelines. They were just looking for an opportunity to get rid of him, and this was it. Academics re-assert their primacy at RU.

So you agree that he was using "faggots" as a slur, right? I care less about Dane Miller in this situation -- he's a big kid who can take care of himself -- than the unathletic gay 15-year-old in Hoboken who already feels out of place -- and now sees a high-profile coach use the term to bring down Division I athletes. A public university can't let that slide. "Back in the day" we also used to brush domestic and child abuse under the rug -- we now know better.

Did you ever see the Louis C.K. routine on how we lost the use of the word "faggot", in its little kids insult, non-sexual way - someone acting faggy is someone who is a whiner, or a tattle tale, or contrarian complainer type. It had a use in conversation that had nothing at all to do with gays or sexuality, it was all about someone's annoying behavior. That word is gone now, just like "gay" is, when you come to think of it.

Pernetti had to go because of what he did financially to the university with his insane amount of investment in their football program, back when Monkey Face was on the sidelines. They were just looking for an opportunity to get rid of him, and this was it. Academics re-assert their primacy at RU.
Yeah, it wasn't this -- Pernetti didn't steal the money from RU's bank account.

Your response to this is suggesting a clear generation gap.

Honestly, that might be the most clueless thing ever written on this forum. This quote:

Those players knew they weren't really being accused of being homosexuals. The term was being used to describe weakness or unwillingness to compete in all probability.

Implies that not only is there a negative connotation associated with being "accused" of homosexuality, but also that it is acceptable to analogize homosexuality with weakness or an unwillingness to compete. Wow.

We are raising a nation of hyper-sensitive sissies. People worry about the math and science gap with foreign countries and not enough about the toughness gap.

The modern day reaction to Pearl Harbor would be to attempt to sue the Japanese in court and then search around for how we provoked them and that it really wasn't their fault.

My high school coaches were tough on us ... even physically. My drill instructor was a lot meaner than they were. We survived.

My high school gym teacher was tougher on me than Rice was on those players. And I turned out okay..I mean okay, if you consider rocking in a catatonic state, weeping inconsolably okay. That rat bastard!

But if the kids who are there, the ones getting the 'abuse' don't care and are ok with it...then all the nancies in shock, shouldn't get their way.
Seriously or are you just playing with us, if the people getting abused don't stand up and complain, then it's ok? Then Sandusky and Paterno should have coached there forever in your eyes.
That is the most up statement I've heard here in a long time. And that's saying alot.

Did you ever see the Louis C.K. routine on how we lost the use of the word "faggot", in its little kids insult, non-sexual way - someone acting faggy is someone who is a whiner, or a tattle tale, or contrarian complainer type. It had a use in conversation that had nothing at all to do with gays or sexuality, it was all about someone's annoying behavior. That word is gone now, just like "gay" is, when you come to think of it.
Yeah, I've seen it -- and you've changed my mind. It now kills me that Rice was misunderstood and that he was just applying it to its rightful usage.

The n-word wasn't originally derogatory either -- I wonder which coach will be brave enough to bring it back.

Seriously or are you just playing with us, if the people getting abused don't stand up and complain, then it's ok? Then Sandusky and Paterno should have coached there forever in your eyes.
That is the most up statement I've heard here in a long time. And that's saying alot.

One thing has nothing to do with the other. ESPN had an article posted yesterday with RU players defending Rice. It's meathead coach stuff gone too far.

That has zero to do with Penn State.

Let me disclose I am a lawyer and ANY lawyer that has passed the MPRE knows that if your client brings you something to assess you can't tell them what they want to hear or your subject to discipline from the bar. I am assuming that if the RU-in house counsel wasn't a shepdog and did whatever Pernetti told him to do he would have advised Pernetti of his options to 1. terminate with cause, 2. terminate without cause or 3. suspend Mike Rice. Obviously those tapes required some punishment as they are deplorable and unbecoming conduct, but if the in-house counsel told Pernetti that the violations on the tape didn't require IMMEDIATE termination with cause then it was within Pernetti's right to just suspend Mike Rice. Most people would believe that conduct should result in termination, but if Pernetti consulted with RU's in-house counsel then all he is guilty of making a decision that was unpopular. Mike Rice should have been fired, but Tim Pernetti is going in down flames here because of public outcry. I don't like Rutgers and think their fanbase is the worst in the USA, but Pernetti is going down because this country demands BLOOD on any outrage nowadays and he is the next body. These politicians see points for acting stupid and they got the man fired which is good for us who don't like Rutgers.
I agree about the bloodthirsty nature of this country today. I disagree that Pernetti shouldn't have been fired. Only suspending Rice for his behavior showed a horrible lack of judgment.
Pernetti should have phrased it this way to internal counsel: "Is there any legal reason I can't fire him?" Not, "What are my options?"
He went down because he got caught making a horrible decision in November and because the RU prez is trying to keep his own job because he too, made a poor decision by not viewing the tapes.

Just one thought...
1...2...3...even 4 incidents is one thing.

But to the "wussy" crowd...This wasn't a coach going nuts one day to make a point. This was repeated assaults and made it's way down to the assistant coaches assaulting the players as well. It was a total power trip by small balding dudes with anger problems. I'm sure they got off chucking the balls at kids bigger than them.

Rutgers was the school where a gay student committed suicide after being bullied. Say what you will, but don't blame the school for their "hyper-sensetitvity" over bullying and racial slurs.

I now have no idea what "bullying" actually means these days. I thought it was the 13 year old who used to kick our 11 year old asses and take our lunch money away from us.

Now it seems to include just about everything up to and including not including someone in on a pick up basketball game.

That's a mis-characterization of what occurred with the kid who committed suicide. They filmed him performing homosexual acts an put the film on the net. That is not the same as calling someone a fag, who obviously isn't. It's not even in the same universe.

One thing has nothing to do with the other. ESPN had an article posted yesterday with RU players defending Rice. It's meathead coach stuff gone too far.

Oh, what do you think those players were going to say in the athletic world..."what coach did and said to me really hurt me deeply." Please...never in a million years would an athlete say that.

I use an absurd analogy but that was ridiculous to say let the abuse go on until someone complains.

Biruta transferred -- and just the other day cited his treatment as the reason why. The point Bayonne was refuting -- by using the Penn State situation aptly -- was Kaiser's argument that if the kids directly affected don't care, neither should we.

Sandusky and Paterno should've been out on their ass regardless of whether the kid in the shower reported the abuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom