Petro To UNC | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Petro To UNC

Not a lacrosse expert but from the outside it sort of looks like the HC doesn't really have a handle on running a program.

FYI...the players loved petro

petro told gait a few days ago but gary for some reason did not inform the players. then the news leaked. team had a zoom meeting last night that was described to me as very awkward

they are aiming much higher than glazener. that isnt going to happen. some sitting head coaches will get a call along with a handful of D coordinators
Petro wanted to let the players know and didn’t until the news broke on Twitter. Some players were contacted by fans from UNC asking if it was true prior to the Twitter post.

Why is that? Because a guy decided he wanted to coach where his sons play and because he won't hire Beardsley?
So silly. Coordinators leave all the time. This would be a bigger problem if he was actually a good defensive coordinator in his two years here. He was not. I'm sure all the things people are saying about the players liking him are true, but he was the weakest link in our coaching staff as an actual coach, and now we have a chance to improve.

Think this is all you need to know.

“Three sources told syracuse.com Beardsley likely wouldn’t make the cut of finalists for the position, if he’s considered at all.”
So just curious as a casual fan - is Ric one of those guys that just rubs people the wrong way? A bigger fan of himself than others are of him? Seems like he's not very popular on the board whenever he is brought up

How dare y… no, well, actually — uh, sounds about right.
You have been an asz about Gait since day 1. You wanted him fired after a sloppy quarter against Army in his 4th game. You are not a serious person on this subject.

I would be happy with a majority of these names.
Axe: Who I’m hearing could be the next SU lax DC
1688994720655.jpeg

So just curious as a casual fan - is Ric one of those guys that just rubs people the wrong way? A bigger fan of himself than others are of him? Seems like he's not very popular on the board whenever he is brought up
Oh gosh where to begin. The basics of it are that he has said and done some INSANE crap in his coaching career. Got fired from his CBA job for ridiculous verbal abuse. And there were plenty of incidents before the one that actually got him fired. There is just no way. He is not disciplined enough as a person or in control of his emotions.

Galloway
Wellner
Amplo
Caputo
Crane (OSU)

Other names
McCabe
Stevens (Cornell)
Bucci (PSU)
Miyashita (Canisius)

Caputo and Wellner are much more pipe dreams then they are realistic though Axe does at lest give some rationale why Caputo would be interested. That said Duke's defenses haven't exactly been ND esque the last decade +, not sure SU would go that route.

McCabe has he personal accolades but another HC jumping from the women's game is unlikely to fly with the fanbase. Miyashita isn't gonna work either. Wellner would be a homerun but again that's not really realistic at least in my mind. Amplo to me would be a guy that didn't immediately come to mind but one I hope SU at least kicks the tires on to see if he has any interest along with Dwan obviously.

So silly. Coordinators leave all the time. This would be a bigger problem if he was actually a good defensive coordinator in his two years here. He was not. I'm sure all the things people are saying about the players liking him are true, but he was the weakest link in our coaching staff as an actual coach, and now we have a chance to improve.

Petro did a lot here beyond being a D coordinator, guy is a hell of a recruiter, he will be missed there the most. That said this was never ever going to be long term hire unless Dom ended up here and even then I wasn't totally convinced. I figured 2-4 years at most so this should be no surprise to anyone. The major downsides are his presence on the recruiting trail and the fact that this would have been year 3 in a complex system that takes time to run.

Like I said though he was never gonna be here for the long haul and there are major questions about his system being able to work against the top end in this current landscape.

Last edited:
You have been an asz about Gait since day 1. You wanted him fired after a sloppy quarter against Army in his 4th game. You are not a serious person on this subject.
He’s not a good coach. He makes so many of the same mistakes Desko made in the last few years, but at least Desko was good at in-game adjustments. That sloppy quarter has turned into a sloppy two years. Even the games this year where the turnover numbers were low, the ones they did commit were backbreaking. He wants the team to play like he did. Great. Except no one is as good as he was. This is like Michael Jordan trying to coach the Bulls. He walks around looking completely smug, which for his playing accolades, sure, I get it. Except he hasn’t earned that as a coach. And then he blames the players.

This is Syracuse, man, he doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt or a few years to settle in.

Well being at most games and seeing kids curse him under there breath idk how much all loved him. I'm sure some did but some did not trust me. Not a lot of kids today can handle being screamed at and raise their game like back in the day. Doesn't matter anyway he's gone.
i cant speak for what someone may or may not have muttered under their breath in the heat of the moment but he was very well liked and team morale right now is not good

Galloway
Wellner
Amplo
Caputo
Crane (OSU)

Other names
McCabe
Stevens (Cornell)
Bucci (PSU)
Miyashita (Canisius)
those first five are among the names i've heard

if gait has final say over this hire then i doubt it will be galloway. he would essentially be hiring his own replacement. and if wildhack wanted galloway why not just hire him in the first place instead of giving the HC job to gait before desko was even officially let go...gait would effectively be putting himself on the hot seat by hiring a guy that many alums want to see take over longterm...

Oh gosh where to begin. The basics of it are that he has said and done some INSANE crap in his coaching career. Got fired from his CBA job for ridiculous verbal abuse. And there were plenty of incidents before the one that actually got him fired. There is just no way. He is not disciplined enough as a person or in control of his emotions.
Interesting. I do remember reading some of those details before now that you mention it. But as I said, I don't follow lacrosse quite as closely except for game days, so it slipped my mind.

Petro did a lot here beyond being a D coordinator, guy is a hell of a recruiter, he will be missed there the most. That said this was never ever going to be long term hire unless Dom ended up here and even then I wasn't totally convinced. I figured 2-4 years at most so this should be no surprise to anyone. The majo downsides are his presence on the recruiting trail and the fact that this would have been year 3 in a complex system that takes time to run.

Like I said though he was never gonna be here for the long haul and there are major questions about his system being able to work against the top end in this current landscape.
I am sure it will sting in the recruiting department on some level. Still that is a less important category than actually running a defense that works. Essentially if we had another year like the last two on defense then all his talents as a recruiter would start to be cancelled out by his results on the field. At some point that would become an unavoidable factor in landing top guys.

Talent was a factor, things would probably start looking better in year 3 of the system, but there was really no sign of major improvement from year 1 to year 2. Meanwhile the offense showed some serious improvement last season, including some areas we were concerned about like sloppiness, sharing the rock, distinct style, etc. I have faith things will continue to look better on offense based on last season. Defense I was just hoping would finally click.

There's a better chance of me, Powellfan, nyclax or or you getting the gig then there is of Ric being hired. SU likes Ric but he's never being hired to coach here in any capacity, ever.
Who has the bigger say in these decisions, Wildhack or the head coach?

Obviously, Wildhack has the final say, but how much deference does he give to the head coaches?

Who has the bigger say in these decisions, Wildhack or the head coach?

Obviously, Wildhack has the final say, but how much deference does he give to the head coaches?

Wildhack gives a lot deference especially to non fball or bball sports. If the money's right and the coach wants said person Wildhack isn't holding up most hires. Ric has extracurricular stuff that makes him untenable. Axe putting up that article was just him being a reporter and trying to generate some buzz, Ric would never be a serious candidate for that job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom