Petro To UNC | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Petro To UNC

Chris with some less then flattering stuff to say about Gait behind the scenes as a HC. Hints he may not be long for the job.
I'd heard from multiple sources that things weren't great with Gary and the team last year (2022). Heard he'd "lost the lockerroom" mid season. How much of that was attributable to him not being fond of many the players he inherited. Was it better this season or did a strained relationship with the players continue?

Chris with some less then flattering stuff to say about Gait behind the scenes as a HC. Hints he may not be long for the job.
Really discouraging. Seems as though Wildhack didn’t exactly do his homework on Gait. I have no knowledge or judgement of his coaching prowess in the women’s game. I’m lead to assume he was pretty good at it. For whatever reason it sounds like that’s transferring over to the Men’s game at all.

I know he was team Canada’s HC, but let’s be honest you can kind of just roll the ball out there for those types of teams and stand on the sideline. Sounds like he’s trying to do that at Cuse but doesn’t have the talent yet.

Either he better learn X’s and O’s and how to develop relationships with players or he better just do the CEO thing where he oversees and has two great coordinators. I think March has proven he’s solid, time to hit a home run hire at D coordinator or I can’t foresee him at the helm for much longer.

I'd heard from multiple sources that things weren't great with Gary and the team last year (2022). Heard he'd "lost the lockerroom" mid season. How much of that was attributable to him not being fond of many the players he inherited. Was it better this season or did a strained relationship with the players continue?

Had heard it was better this past year but still not where you would want it.

What’s he saying?

That Gait has struggled with some of the behind the scenes stuff and compared him to Wayne Gretzky in that coaching may not be his thing despite being one of the best to play the game.

That Gait has struggled with some of the behind the scenes stuff and compared him to Wayne Gretzky in that coaching may not be his thing despite being one of the best to play the game.
That is such bs from Chris. Be specific or don’t say stuff like this at all. He turned the women’s program into a regular contender. He is not a Wayne Gretzky. So ridiculous from Chris.

i Feel some of players now days just to soft for such a contact sport physically and mentally. I mean i never seen so many guys duck turn back or get out away of a shot in my life. Is it gonna hurt oh without a doubt but that’s why have pads on. Why is it ok for goalie (way less padding) to stand there n take shots but not field players. Not saying take it with no regard or giving them a throat shot or anything. But stand in there n take it like a champ. As can one make a goal not a goal or ball bounce ur way for gb or whatever. Know this thread bout petro leaving n all but this was on my mind n just boggles it. I just want see kids be fearless (not stupid or disregard) when playing make whatever sacrifices to stop ball or block ball.
the goalie does not have way less padding. minutiae, sure. goalies are trained to hold their ground and react to the ball, stick arc. they see it hundreds of x per day. d guys just don't get those types of reps. it's not 2nd nature, tho some are better at it than others.

I put his take on Gait in the same basket as his take on Amplo taking the job
amplo not wanting the job doesn't make the report that he was being considered false. amplo is/was on CUSE'S list. the interest doesn't have to be mutual for it to be newsworthy. amplo's tweet comes off as insecure to me, like he's hoping to either convince himself he actually likes his job or just wants the Navy AD to see it

Does anyone know how the process is unfolding? Are they formally accepting applications or are interested candidates reaching out to Gait directly or is Gait contacting people directly? Or a combo of all three?

Just curious, since as has been said, getting someone in quick is imperative for recruiting.

amplo not wanting the job doesn't make the report that he was being considered false. amplo is/was on CUSE'S list. the interest doesn't have to be mutual for it to be newsworthy. amplo's tweet comes off as insecure to me, like he's hoping to either convince himself he actually likes his job or just wants the Navy AD to see it
i mean ok, but hoo do we think is telling yaz this? amplo or gait? because it doesn't look like either one is likely.

Does anyone know how the process is unfolding? Are they formally accepting applications or are interested candidates reaching out to Gait directly or is Gait contacting people directly? Or a combo of all three?
generally it's all 3.

i mean ok, but hoo do we think is telling yaz this? amplo or gait? because it doesn't look like either one is likely.
jasztrembski is very plugged in with coaches around the country and at cuse specifically. i dont know who his sources are but he's been all over every move this summer. he might know people in the AD's office. maybe pat march. i trust his reporting. again amplo not wanting the job doesnt mean the report was wrong

jasztrembski is very plugged in with coaches around the country and at cuse specifically. i dont know who his sources are but he's been all over every move this summer. he might know people in the AD's office. maybe pat march. i trust his reporting. again amplo not wanting the job doesnt mean the report was wrong
the funny thing is, it's not even a report. jaz at least never says anything in his tweet about people being contacted, vice versa. at this point, it just looks like 2 guys making lists. unless i missed something? where's beardsley on this list!

That is such bs from Chris. Be specific or don’t say stuff like this at all. He turned the women’s program into a regular contender. He is not a Wayne Gretzky. So ridiculous from Chris.

I don't think anyone is taking what Chris says as absolute gospel, however, there have been rumblings from multiple other sources besides Chris regarding behind the scenes issues with Gait as HC. Doesn't' mean he can't work it out or that both he and the program don't take the next step this coming season but we also can't just whistle past the graveyard either. That's why this DC hire is super important, can't afford for this team not to take that next step in 2024.

I guess that is my question regarding this list. Is it Gait’s wish list or a group of coaches he actually has a chance with? If he hires someone considered “below” someone on this list it really doesn’t look good to the fan base. Expectations I feel like have been raised with this list leaking.

Amplo tweet is weird. Makes me a bit worried that this might be a “dream list”. College football coaches LOVE having their name leak since they can use at leverage for their current job.

I don't think anyone is taking what Chris says as absolute gospel, however, there have been rumblings from multiple other sources besides Chris regarding behind the scenes issues with Gait as HC. Doesn't' mean he can't work it out or that both he and the program don't take the next step this coming season but we also can't just whistle past the graveyard either. That's why this DC hire is super important, can't afford for this team not to take that next step in 2024.
In this era of heavy portal action, where was the mass exodus after another year missing the playoffs and getting humiliated by most ACC opponents if there was this level of distrust for Gait, especially with all the guys we brought in from the portal? Was Petro holding it all together while being in charge of the side of the field that was our main problem last season? It just does not add up for me, unless half the team transfers to UNC in the fall. It is all just smoke to me without a more obvious sign of grief from the players/parents. Pair that with him literally coming to this job from a run as a successful HC and I really struggle to take this stuff seriously.

I guess that is my question regarding this list. Is it Gait’s wish list or a group of coaches he actually has a chance with? If he hires someone considered “below” someone on this list it really doesn’t look good to the fan base. Expectations I feel like have been raised with this list leaking.

Amplo tweet is weird. Makes me a bit worried that this might be a “dream list”. College football coaches LOVE having their name leak since they can use at leverage for their current job.
dont know if it's gait's or the AD's or if those two things are the same, but my understanding is cuse has already or plans to reach out to at least some of these guys. im sure its only a partial list. if they are smart they will cast a wide net but it makes sense to start with the "big" names

notice amplo didnt say that he wasnt contacted. just that he isnt taking the job. two very different things

I wonder if Chris's sources aren't more SyrMLAX alumni who he would know from his time here. From what I've heard at least some of them have had reservations about Gary as mens head coach.

I wonder if Chris's sources aren't more SyrMLAX alumni who he would know from his time here. From what I've heard at least some of them have had reservations about Gary as mens head coach.
could be. some of those guys were probably going to be skeptical of desko's replacement no matter who it was because it wasn't desko.

galloway never made any sense as DC. if you're going to hire him, then hire him to take over the program. him on gait's staff is just an untenable situation

40:45 mark

If you can trust the guy (which I am struggling to overall), Chris says that Petro gave notice to Gait on "Friday night" and that the zoom meeting between the coaches and players was "later that night." It came totally out of the blue to everyone before that friday night according to Chris. It wasn't like he told Gait Monday and he sat on it for a while. So we can cross that off if we are looking for more ways to pretend the sky is falling. Would not call that the exact same thing as the report we received from our neutral lax observer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom