Petro To UNC | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Petro To UNC

God man... We have a great offseason and a solid season. Just for it to fall apart (lose Petro) and a guy like Chris to go on national radio and crap on Gait. This program takes 1 step forward and 15 back... I hope we get positive news soon since, we have Prospect camps later this month.

God man... We have a great offseason and a solid season. Just for it to fall apart (lose Petro) and a guy like Chris to go on national radio and crap on Gait. This program takes 1 step forward and 15 back... I hope we get positive news soon since, we have Prospect camps later this month.
Petro leaving is a sting in the short term but overall positive news. I thought you were happy about Petro leaving due to his performance as DC?

If you can trust the guy (which I am struggling to overall), Chris says that Petro gave notice to Gait on "Friday night" and that the zoom meeting between the coaches and players was "later that night." It came totally out of the blue to everyone before that friday night according to Chris. It wasn't like he told Gait Monday and he sat on it for a while. So we can cross that off if we are looking for more ways to pretend the sky is falling. Would not call that the exact same thing as the report we received from our neutral lax observer.
the zoom meeting was saturday night, not friday. and it only happened because the news leaked. there wasn't going to be a zoom meeting that night if the news hadn't leaked. it was damage control

Ok, I have no inside info, but these names seem like a stretch. Sure, this is where you start on the off chance, but I don't see them happening.

For instance, Wellner/Caputo - let's say they both want to be a head coach. Where do they stand a chance of that happening? At programs that just played in the NC, and probably will be in a similar place for the next few years or leaving for, frankly, an underperforming in-conference program? And the whole "you can replace Gait" option makes no sense. If Cuse starts doing well, Gait is not going anywhere. If he fails, well, you don't give the job to the assistant.

Same argument for the the head coaches on this list. If you want to move up to a bigger program, do you do that from a HC spot at a successful mid-tier or as an assistant at Cuse? Probably the former again.

Finally, the whole "back up the $ truck" argument. Listen this is not SEC football. There is no money truck. Maybe you have budget for $25-50K more and maybe that will be enough to get one of these guys to move. But unlikely.

Point being, I don't see any of these guys coming.

Petro leaving is a sting in the short term but overall positive news. I thought you were happy about Petro leaving due to his performance as DC?
From an X-Os I'm glad he's gone but I didn't realize he was that loved by players.

the zoom meeting was saturday night, not friday. and it only happened because the news leaked. there wasn't going to be a zoom meeting that night if the news hadn't leaked. it was damage control
Huh... while along with that not being what Chris said, it was not a "few days" after he heard the news from Petro, as you initially posted. Oh yeah I'm sure his plan was to never tell the players ever. Wonder why you chose to say "a few days" instead of 24 hours... an honest mistake?

Ok, I have no inside info, but these names seem like a stretch. Sure, this is where you start on the off chance, but I don't see them happening.

For instance, Wellner/Caputo - let's say they both want to be a head coach. Where do they stand a chance of that happening? At programs that just played in the NC, and probably will be in a similar place for the next few years or leaving for, frankly, an underperforming in-conference program? And the whole "you can replace Gait" option makes no sense. If Cuse starts doing well, Gait is not going anywhere. If he fails, well, you don't give the job to the assistant.

Same argument for the the head coaches on this list. If you want to move up to a bigger program, do you do that from a HC spot at a successful mid-tier or as an assistant at Cuse? Probably the former again.

Finally, the whole "back up the $ truck" argument. Listen this is not SEC football. There is no money truck. Maybe you have budget for $25-50K more and maybe that will be enough to get one of these guys to move. But unlikely.

Wellner, I can’t possibly imagine why. DC for the best team in the country with an older coach who might be nearing retirement now that he’s got his ring.

As for Caputo, has he ever even interviewed for another job or expressed any desire to leave Duke? Seems like he has a pretty sweet gig. Only way I see him leaving is if Dino is thinking about hanging it up and Matt is in line to be HC.

dont know if it's gait's or the AD's or if those two things are the same, but my understanding is cuse has already or plans to reach out to at least some of these guys. im sure its only a partial list. if they are smart they will cast a wide net but it makes sense to start with the "big" names

notice amplo didnt say that he wasnt contacted. just that he isnt taking the job. two very different things
not trying to be a smart ass here... but where (generally?) have you gotten the understanding that syracuse plans to or has reached out to the list? i will note you've hit on a number of things.

Huh... while along with that not being what Chris said, it was not a "few days" after he heard the news from Petro, as you initially posted. Oh yeah I'm sure his plan was to never tell the players ever. Wonder why you chose to say "a few days" instead of 24 hours... an honest mistake?
it is what chris said. "later that night" referred to saturday, the day petro was out recruiting without cuse gear on and the day chris reported the news. "later that night" didn't refer to friday. chris probably could have done a better job explaining that.

the zoom happened saturday. don't take my word for it though, if you know anyone on the team, ask them.

it is what chris said. "later that night" referred to saturday, the day petro was out recruiting without cuse gear on and the day chris reported the news. "later that night" didn't refer to friday. chris probably could have done a better job explaining that.

the zoom happened saturday. don't take my word for it though, if you know anyone on the team, ask them.
Hey that part is fine. It really does not seem weird to not instantly tell the team the news that you heard the night before and are probably still taking in/planning a course of action in response to. Now if it really had been a few days, like you said, like if Petro told him on Monday and he sat on it all week, that would be a little weird. Think you better walk back the part on Gait waiting a few days. That makes him look bad for something he didn't do. We would not want that would we?

not trying to be a smart ass here... but where (generally?) have you gotten the understanding that syracuse plans to or has reached out to the list? i will note you've hit on a number of things.
if i reveal sources i will stop getting scoops to pass on to you guys. i have friends far and wide. im like varys in game of thrones. spies everywhere.

the list chris reported out is nearly the exact same list of people i heard cuse was interested in. we prob have the same source. my understanding of that list and "interest" is that they did or plan to reach out to those people. i am working on finding out if any have been contacted

Syracuse has the highest lax budget in the country, they have the ability to tap into funds that many (not all) schools cannot match and Petro was making a pretty good chunk of $$. There's other issues why some of these names are a stretch ( most have been identified already) but money won't be one of them.

Hey that part is fine. It really does not seem weird to not instantly tell the team the news that you heard the night before and are probably still taking in/planning a course of action in response to. Now if it really had been a few days, like you said, like if Petro told him on Monday and he sat on it all week, that would be a little weird. Think you better walk back the part on Gait waiting a few days. That makes him look bad for something he didn't do. We would not want that would we?
i didnt say gait waited a few days.

this is what i said late last night (sunday)...

"petro told gait a few days ago but gary for some reason did not inform the players. then the news leaked. team had a zoom meeting last night that was described to me as very awkward"

and yes i would argue it is indeed a little weird to know that petro is out on the recruiting trail saturday recruiting for one of your biggest rivals in incognito gear and your players not know about it. should have told the players sat morning before petro could go out and recruit for UNC while cuse players thought he was still their coach. you prob shouldnt let that happen. its a crappy way to find our your DC is moving on

Man these tweets have gotten some people all feisty.

Feels like the whole fiasco when Desko "retired" and Gait was hired all over again. News broke before anyone was ready to make an announcement.

Man these tweets have gotten some people all feisty.

Feels like the whole fiasco when Desko "retired" and Gait was hired all over again. News broke before anyone was ready to make an announcement.
It’s a do-as-I-say communication school, not do-as-I-do.

i didnt say gait waited a few days.

this is what i said late last night (sunday)...

"petro told gait a few days ago but gary for some reason did not inform the players. then the news leaked. team had a zoom meeting last night that was described to me as very awkward"

and yes i would argue it is indeed a little weird to know that petro is out on the recruiting trail saturday recruiting for one of your biggest rivals in incognito gear and your players not know about it. should have told the players sat morning before petro could go out and recruit for UNC while cuse players thought he was still their coach. you prob shouldnt let that happen. its a crappy way to find our your DC is moving on
It is still an exaggeration on your part. I harp on it because we literally had someone come over here who is less familiar with lax and say they thought Gait does not have a handle on running a program based on that false report. It has consequences. To not tell the team immediately the next day is less of a problem. And there could be a zillion reasons for it. He had just heard out of the blue the night before. Petro breaking the news to Gait out of nowhere is the main cause of the delay. Not Gait sitting on the news for any extended period.

It is still an exaggeration on your part. I harp on it because we literally had someone come over here who is less familiar with lax and say they thought Gait does not have a handle on running a program based on that false report. It has consequences. To not tell the team immediately the next day is less of a problem. And there could be a zillion reasons for it. He had just heard out of the blue the night before. Petro breaking the news to Gait out of nowhere is the main cause of the delay. Not Gait sitting on the news for any extended period.

It all depends on when Gait found out. If it was Friday then its a lot more understandable though you'd like to have seen him maybe alert the team before it breaks in the media but its still understandable. If he knew earlier in the week but sat on it for some reason then its definitely a concern.

If he knew earlier in the week but sat on it for some reason then its definitely a concern.
And according to Chris that is not at all what happened. Specifically said friday night. Petro dropping the news this late without warning is the biggest factor. Not Gait being a crappy communicator. To suggest otherwise is dishonest. I hate getting in the weeds with this stuff but there are consequences to false narratives.

what was an exaggeration?

i think its weird to let petro go out in public and recruit for an ACC rival while your players have absolutely no clue what's going on. agree to disagree on that i guess

what was an exaggeration?

i think its weird to let petro go out in public and recruit for an ACC rival while your players have absolutely no clue what's going on. agree to disagree on that i guess
Come on man. I dont want to keep doing this with all these specifics, but Friday is not a few days ago from Sunday. Saying a few days ago makes it seem ambiguous. That is all Im saying.

if i reveal sources i will stop getting scoops to pass on to you guys. i have friends far and wide. im like varys in game of thrones. spies everywhere.

the list chris reported out is nearly the exact same list of people i heard cuse was interested in. we prob have the same source. my understanding of that list and "interest" is that they did or plan to reach out to those people. i am working on finding out if any have been contacted
ok, thanks.
for me, my guess the hire comes from someone that reaches out to cuse, not vice versa. i'm from muzzarah that gait would again need or want a head coach in waiting this time around.

wellner's a maybe as he hasn't been a lifer @ nd and cuse can probably pay up. don't know anything about crane, but leaving a possible dumpster fire makes sense. caputo no chance. i honestly don't think this is gg's list, could be wrong of course. don't see the connections.

guys i think could be in the mix:
1) unterstein
2) unterstein
3) hirsch. gait would no doubt know him from princeton.
4)guys like bucci, fossner, chick.
5) georgalas if anyone anywhere can pry him away. kinda seems at this point like no one can. tho cornell going to a young buczek might change his mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom