Petro To UNC | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Petro To UNC

Chris is a tabloid reporter he was the water boy for SU for a couple years nothing more nothing less. He smeared the previous coaching staff all over the internet just like he is with this staff. It creates controversy and content for him who ever is feeding him any
Info at SU should no longer have a job.

ok, thanks.
for me, my guess the hire comes from someone that reaches out to cuse, not vice versa. i'm from muzzarah that gait would again need or want a head coach in waiting this time around.

wellner's a maybe as he hasn't been a lifer @ nd and cuse can probably pay up. don't know anything about crane, but leaving a possible dumpster fire makes sense. caputo no chance. i honestly don't think this is gg's list, could be wrong of course. don't see the connections.

guys i think could be in the mix:
1) unterstein
2) unterstein
3) hirsch. gait would no doubt know him from princeton.
4)guys like bucci, fossner, chick.
5) georgalas if anyone anywhere can pry him away. kinda seems at this point like no one can. tho cornell going to a young buczek might change his mind.
we agree. the list may well be cuse's wish list. it does not mean interest is mutual. i'd be surprised if they ultimately hire someone from that tier A group that chris tweeted out. more likely to be tier B, but they sure are aiming high to start

bucci is a name i've heard thrown out there

crane has already spoken to at least one other school that i know of and would prob be interested in cuse. dumpster fire is being generous to osu

if im unterstein i'm not thrilled about coaching a top 10 unit and then being demoted to playing catch with the goalie and blowing the whistle for the fogos. he needs to keep his stock up for when the hofstra gig opens up

?????
Pretty sure you guys are talking about different time periods. Doc thinks you referred to the difference between Sunday and Friday as a “few days.” You seem to be referring to the difference between today and at least Friday, which would be a “few days.”

At least that’s how I read it.

Pretty sure you guys are talking about different time periods. Doc thinks you referred to the difference between Sunday and Friday as a “few days.” You seem to be referring to the difference between today and at least Friday, which would be a “few days.”

At least that’s how I read it.
This is getting quite silly quickly so I hope this is the end of it. He posted on Sunday (not today) that Petro told Gait he was leaving "a few days ago." He told Gait he was leaving Friday night. I would call the gap between Friday night and when nyclax posted on Sunday night less than "a few days." To call 48 hours "a few days" is an exaggeration. But really not that big a deal. Just dont want people thinking Gait sat on the news for some extended period of time. The story leaked the very next day after the night Gait heard the news.

I'm surprised if Petro told Gary for the first time Friday night. I would have thought he'd at least have given him a heads up about the possibility earlier. Heck, I think the possibility of this happening was reported on here just after the season ended. If Petro did not give Gary a heads up earlier then maybe their relationship had broken down. Hope not.

If we can’t get anyone on that high tier list like Caputo or Georgalas I’m honestly good with a Bucci or Wellner or Stevens hire. All young and good up and coming coaches that have proven themselves. Although I’m not so sure if Stevens would make the move being a Cornell grad and coaching at his alma mater already.

cuse is going to be fine. We are a selector school when it comes to coaches.

If we can’t get anyone on that high tier list like Caputo or Georgalas I’m honestly good with a Bucci or Wellner or Stevens hire. All young and good up and coming coaches that have proven themselves. Although I’m not so sure if Stevens would make the move being a Cornell grad and coaching at his alma mater already.

Can’t think of many coaches I’d be disappointed by landing to be honest. Defense seems like a much harder position unit to evaluate than offense for some reason. If an offense scores a bunch than they are good. Defense seems to have a lot more variables (if the goalie is bad then there is not much you can do, faceoffs, etc).

Pat March was a pretty under the radar grab that has worked out really well for the Orange. Just because a guy isn’t a big name doesn’t mean it’s a bad hire.

Wgdsr, I can’t tell if you are being serious or not regarding Unterstein. I think SU would win that trade if it were to go down that way.

Ok, I have no inside info, but these names seem like a stretch. Sure, this is where you start on the off chance, but I don't see them happening.

For instance, Wellner/Caputo - let's say they both want to be a head coach. Where do they stand a chance of that happening? At programs that just played in the NC, and probably will be in a similar place for the next few years or leaving for, frankly, an underperforming in-conference program? And the whole "you can replace Gait" option makes no sense. If Cuse starts doing well, Gait is not going anywhere. If he fails, well, you don't give the job to the assistant.

Same argument for the the head coaches on this list. If you want to move up to a bigger program, do you do that from a HC spot at a successful mid-tier or as an assistant at Cuse? Probably the former again.

Finally, the whole "back up the $ truck" argument. Listen this is not SEC football. There is no money truck. Maybe you have budget for $25-50K more and maybe that will be enough to get one of these guys to move. But unlikely.

Point being, I don't see any of these guys coming.

I’m hearing the going rate on the 3rd assistant coaching position is 50k. So I’m guessing if a blue blood school like CUSE wants to stay in the deep end of the pool they better pony up.

we agree. the list may well be cuse's wish list. it does not mean interest is mutual. i'd be surprised if they ultimately hire someone from that tier A group that chris tweeted out. more likely to be tier B, but they sure are aiming high to start

bucci is a name i've heard thrown out there

crane has already spoken to at least one other school that i know of and would prob be interested in cuse. dumpster fire is being generous to osu

if im unterstein i'm not thrilled about coaching a top 10 unit and then being demoted to playing catch with the goalie and blowing the whistle for the fogos. he needs to keep his stock up for when the hofstra gig opens up
while attempting to acknowledge that you've gotten some plugged in info, this tier a or whatever it is to me does not seem like the list for gait. at all.

now, i do not know the dynamics of 'cuse hiring assistants. or your source info. but from what i do know, this is typically the head coach's job. which is entirely different (of course) than how a head coach gets hired. with engagement of alums from start to finish.

notably, unless they were best buds and gg has already picked out his retirement home and move in date, galloway to me would be the last guy he ever called.

it looks like a list that plugged in 'cuse alums might have. can they still reach out or be reached out to? sure. but for an asst hire, that hardly matters unless the real decision maker is on board.

Can’t think of many coaches I’d be disappointed by landing to be honest. Defense seems like a much harder position unit to evaluate than offense for some reason. If an offense scores a bunch than they are good. Defense seems to have a lot more variables (if the goalie is bad then there is not much you can do, faceoffs, etc).

Pat March was a pretty under the radar grab that has worked out really well for the Orange. Just because a guy isn’t a big name doesn’t mean it’s a bad hire.

Wgdsr, I can’t tell if you are being serious or not regarding Unterstein. I think SU would win that trade if it were to go down that way.
i don't know unterstein's personal situation. i do know he has headed an acc defense (recently very well), just got demoted and an acc d coordinator position just opened up.

plus, there's the angle of gait having an opportunity to pluck back at a program that just took his d coordinator.

I was serious about Unterstein, Tarheels problems not on the defensive side.

while attempting to acknowledge that you've gotten some plugged in info, this tier a or whatever it is to me does not seem like the list for gait. at all.

now, i do not know the dynamics of 'cuse hiring assistants. or your source info. but from what i do know, this is typically the head coach's job. which is entirely different (of course) than how a head coach gets hired. with engagement of alums from start to finish.

notably, unless they were best buds and gg has already picked out his retirement home and move in date, galloway to me would be the last guy he ever called.

it looks like a list that plugged in 'cuse alums might have. can they still reach out or be reached out to? sure. but for an asst hire, that hardly matters unless the real decision maker is on board.

I think its simply a list of the top tier candidates Cuse would be interested in for the job, no different then any other opening in power 5 fball or bball, only different is you don't seen this a lot in lax sav for major HC jobs and a few other elite schools. As NYC noted SU is probably unlikely to land someone from this list "A" list but these are likely some of the guys they reached out to or have interest in ( I assume not all the names are accurate but most seem logical to me).

Wildhack also is likely playing a roll here, he's invested into the lax program and is likely playing a bigger role then most AD's would be.

Feel like a dork quoting myself here but I’m confused about what Chris is trying to imply here? The radio guys tried to push him on this and he just putters around it. Are they going to make this new hire a coach in waiting? That almost always ends terribly.

Does Chris think Gait is going to get fired soon and whoever he hires here will get the job? An AD hardly ever hires someone from the staff he just let go. I appreciate these updates from Chris but think he needs to be a bit more careful with some of these comments, or at least provide more context.

Feel like a dork quoting myself here but I’m confused about what Chris is trying to imply here? The radio guys tried to push him on this and he just putters around it. Are they going to make this new hire a coach in waiting? That almost always ends terribly.

Does Chris think Gait is going to get fired soon and whoever he hires here will get the job? An AD hardly ever hires someone from the staff he just let go. I appreciate these updates from Chris but think he needs to be a bit more careful with some of these comments, or at least provide more context.
and it wouldn't be notable other than all of this has been amplified. which of course, we're amplifying as well. he certainly has sources for some things, but since the 1st to report on petro >> unc, i see all of what has come out here as offsides.

There is this and his ridiculous Gretzky comments in the interview with them. To compare him to Gretzky is to act like he never had a taste of success at all as a coach. He came to us after bringing the women’s team to a spot where they were regularly reaching the final four. He has had a long successful coaching career before coming to us. By ignoring that he is trying to put the attention on himself by saying something inflammatory. He is not letting the facts get in the way of an opportunity to get in the spotlight. He was trying to gain some fans today but I certainly hope he lost some instead. He lost at least one.

I think its simply a list of the top tier candidates Cuse would be interested in for the job, no different then any other opening in power 5 fball or bball, only different is you don't seen this a lot in lax sav for major HC jobs and a few other elite schools. As NYC noted SU is probably unlikely to land someone from this list "A" list but these are likely some of the guys they reached out to or have interest in ( I assume not all the names are accurate but most seem logical to me).

Wildhack also is likely playing a roll here, he's invested into the lax program and is likely playing a bigger role then most AD's would be.
i can't get the bold function to work on my phone, so:
"but these are likely some of the guys they reached out to or have interest in"

i just don't believe "syracuse" has/had this list of guys in the queue. it just looks like a "source" or 2 told brent or jaz this, (and maybe nyc, too thru same channels), and to me it looks more than off from what gary gait would do.

my opinion, not a big deal in the scheme of things and i probably wouldn't be commenting if several/most didn't seem way off and if it wasn't generating the reverberation it is.

Galloways defensive assistant would be a good hire. He was just named associate head coach.

My vote is for delaware’s guy or even richmonds dc whoever runs that. As feel tho defense normally are very sound and solid and play aggressively but also get back in hole well also. I don’t know seen those defense are very well coached and always usually very solid all year with the talent they do have which sure cuse has higher graded talent.

My vote is for delaware’s guy or even richmonds dc whoever runs that. As feel tho defense normally are very sound and solid and play aggressively but also get back in hole well also. I don’t know seen those defense are very well coached and always usually very solid all year with the talent they do have which sure cuse has higher graded talent.
richmond's DC is paul richards and he's a finalist for the mount st marys HC job

deluca is really the architect of the delaware defense. wilkes technically works with the defense too but i dont know how much of it is "his"

galloway, crane, stevens, bucci are all names that are floating around. quint isnt pulling these out of thin air. wray is a new one i haven't heard but the connection makes sense on paper. but i'd be v surprised if he made that move. hes got a good, low-pressure gig in philly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom