Class of 2019 - PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is exactly right...akok was probably the guy that "fits" our style of play best. Q Will be huge for us if we get him. Having him/marek/braswell/Hughes is a damn good lineup. We must land one of Q or AA even though they dont really play the same position. It seems like Dimon is on the back burner and he fits great with what we need to anchor our zone so hopefully that pans out. Some on here haven't been very big on wahab but supposedly the staff REALLY liked him so ? Now throw in the stew visit and who knows what the heck is going on...let's get JG3 tonight and Q shortly after and let's see if AA really does cancel his visit this weekend coming up...if he does come then we are still in it but according to a few decent posters over there, he isnt coming saturday.

I think if the staff REALLY liked Wahab, they wouldn't have taken JBA, because Wahab, to me, is not close to Carrigan or Stewart, and I only see Wahab as a back up for probably a couple years.

Guerrier is a forward in our system. Akok wants to play forward. I don’t know what else to tell you

Not so sure about that. Boeheim's big innovation, in my opinion, is playing 3 traditional forwards with a PG and a C. That's why we go super big at guard, if we can. Look at Battle, Gbinije, Kueth Duany, and now Hughes, hell, he even tried Southerland up top for a couple games his senior year. I think that QG would probably be groomed for the top of the zone.

Not so sure about that. Boeheim's big innovation, in my opinion, is playing 3 traditional forwards with a PG and a C. That's why we go super big at guard, if we can. Look at Battle, Gbinije, Kueth Duany, and now Hughes, hell, he even tried Southerland up top for a couple games his senior year. I think that QG would probably be groomed for the top of the zone.
Its definitely possible...hes a 2/3. Very similar to Hughes I'd imagine so I guess it depends on what the roster looks like...I'm going with him being used more as a 3 though seeing as though our guard situation looks pretty good. I think of him as a oshae replacement.

jb was doing multipositionality before it was cool. he's always featured combo guards, wings who can swing between the 2 and 3, 3-4 forwards, 4-5 bigs

Agree. Q is a perfect 2 in JB's system. He can also swing to the 3 as line ups dictate.

jb was doing multipositionality before it was cool. he's always featured combo guards, wings who can swing between the 2 and 3, 3-4 forwards, 4-5 bigs

Spot on. I'd also add that the only "true" traditional position player JB needs is a true 1, though we have played combo guards there as well.

JBs 2-3 allows him to use positional flex via length. A shot blocking big can play the 5 (think Lydon); long 2s can swing 2-3-4 in the zone.

It's much harder to do this playing M2M because of mismatches.

i've always thought he was a 2 and done, especially if he plays for syracuse. he's built for jb's system, where his strengths will be highlighted & weaknesses hidden. he'll look like a taller, longer wes johnson, which was good enough to be a 4th overall pick first time around

OK, you might wanna slow your roll w/ the Wes comparisons.
Wes was a RS Junior (edited) when he exploded onto the scene w/ Cuse in the 2010 season.
He had 2 years of college experience, then a year practicing w/ the team prior to his coming out party.

Akok^2 might eventually get to that level of ability, but he's not coming in with it on Day One.

But, I'll say this - I'd sure love to see him in Orange and find out how those comparisons pan out!
:cool:

Last edited:
Wes was a RS Soph when he exploded onto the scene w/ Cuse in the 2010 season.
He had a year of college experience, then a year practicing w/ the team prior to his coming out party.

Akok^2 might eventually get to that level of ability, but he's not coming in with it on Day One.

But, I'll say this - I'd sure love to see him in Orange and find out how those comparisons pan out!
Wes was a RS Jr at SU--2 seasons at IA St., then a transfer year, then 1 season at SU.

Wes was a RS Soph when he exploded onto the scene w/ Cuse in the 2010 season.
He had a year of college experience, then a year practicing w/ the team prior to his coming out party.

feel free to go slow but don't expect me to trundle along behind you

Wes was a RS Jr at SU--2 seasons at IA St., then a transfer year, then 1 season at SU.

Yeah, I edited the years, but not the class - sorry about that.
Anyway - my overarching point stands: Wes was much closer to a 'finished product', with very refined skills, than Master Akok likely will be as they play their first minutes in a Syracuse uniform.

Yeah, I edited the years, but not the class - sorry about that.
Anyway - my overarching point stands: Wes was much closer to a 'finished product', with very refined skills, than Master Akok likely will be as they play their first minutes in a Syracuse uniform.
you missed the part where i called akok a 2 and done

If you look at his Twitter you can see that he follows two UConn pages and no Syracuse. To me this looks like he is heavily leaning towards UConn. Most kids will follow profiles that they personally like. . .
He follows Jalen Carey and GMAC at least. I didn’t go through his whole list either.

Spot on. I'd also add that the only "true" traditional position player JB needs is a true 1, though we have played combo guards there as well.

JBs 2-3 allows him to use positional flex via length. A shot blocking big can play the 5 (think Lydon); long 2s can swing 2-3-4 in the zone.

It's much harder to do this playing M2M because of mismatches.

Excellent point!

i've always thought he was a 2 and done, especially if he plays for syracuse. he's built for jb's system, where his strengths will be highlighted & weaknesses hidden. he'll look like a taller, longer wes johnson, which was good enough to be a 4th overall pick first time around
He has a lot of skills such as shot blocking, three point shooting, passing and defense. He is already stated that he is working on ball handling and dribbling skills. I believe that his first year as a college player he will be a contributor as he fits into Syracuse team play. He already is noted as a team player in high school In second and third year, he will progress into being a major scoring threat. He could go pro after his 2nd year but like Battle, he will improve in his junior year and perhaps be a lottery selection. If he stays until his senior year and barring any injuries in any previous year, I believe he could be a top 5 selection. All this projection is based on the way he has improved this past season and summer.

From what I was told this morning, he is not going to UConn, he was having a great visit and then towards the end he had a change of heart, don't think he got along with Wahab.
Well, let's pair him up with Stewart or his buddy Carrigan and call it good.*

*It doesn't get called good until Quincy is in too.

From what I was told this morning, he is not going to UConn, he was having a great visit and then towards the end he had a change of heart, don't think he got along with Wahab.
Is Wahab going to UConn?

I think if we don't get Akok, but get Stewart we have to be happy with that trade.

Also I wonder if Akok is waiting for a bigger fish to offer and that's why he's taking his time.

Speaking of UConn being so confident, rumor is Penny is pushing hard for Precious to go to Memphis.

I think if we don't get Akok, but get Stewart we have to be happy with that trade.

Also I wonder if Akok is waiting for a bigger fish to offer and that's why he's taking his time.

Speaking of UConn being so confident, rumor is Penny is pushing hard for Precious to go to Memphis.
I don’t believe Akok is waiting for that. I think his team is in this mix. I truly believe that is SU. JB loves the kid and has been all over this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom