Class of 2024 - PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23) | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23)

At this point dash I unfortunately dread reading your posts. You’ve become a pessimist like me but with, like, actual facts and sources backing your claims.

Did we suddenly get Adam W back in the fold? Until we start trotting out bigger NIL guns it’s hard to be optimistic about retaining players that we want to keep an extra year.
Don’t hold your breath on AW.

Our nil guns are big enough for a top 40 like freeman.
I’m talking more about retaining borderline/round 2 guys. NC gets their guys to come back. We need to figure that out.

I don’t think the possibility of landing this kid is getting enough attention and excitement on this board. This kid has the best film of any guy we have landed in the past decade, and that includes Judah. I don’t think he is a one and done but I think he could be a special player for us.

Freeman could be a major piece to get us back where we want to be.

I don’t think the possibility of landing this kid is getting enough attention and excitement on this board. This kid has the best film of any guy we have landed in the past decade, and that includes Judah. I don’t think he is a one and done but I think he could be a special player for us.

I agree he would be big time get. Don’t want to get let down so I’ll just be quiet until I see him say he’s coming to the Cuse. Shhhh!

I will be happy to hear about a verbal commitment and will be allot more enthusiastic when he actually signs. When he does verbal, it will be interesting to see if he draws players interest like Bethea and others.

At this point dash I unfortunately dread reading your posts. You’ve become a pessimist like me but with, like, actual facts and sources backing your claims.

Did we suddenly get Adam W back in the fold? Until we start trotting out bigger NIL guns it’s hard to be optimistic about retaining players that we want to keep an extra year.
I have not become a pessimist. Sometimes the things I am hearing my seem that way

FWIW, SU is up to four predictions for Donnie between Rivals/247S. He did OV Bama in January and Texas/Iowa last fall. Considering Autry went to D.C. to visit him, the whole staff went to D.C. to visit him, Autry/Straughn watched him during live periods, and his SU OV seemed to go well, have to feel good here. Maybe 'Bama is the biggest competition??

Red, GMac, Griff and the full staff are on a heater. JJ, Chance, Donnie coming onboard (fingers crossed)...

I'm excited for this kid and happy for our coaches.

Red, GMac, Griff and the full staff are on a heater. JJ, Chance, Donnie coming onboard (fingers crossed)...

I wouldn't say full heater, but they've done well given where they started.

Freeman is a very good player. Borderline McDonald's AA candidate. 39 overall composite by 247.

Just for comparison's sake:

Chris McCullough - 20 overall composite by 247
Dajuan Coleman - 21 overall composite by 247
JJ Starling - 21 overall composite by 247
Tyler Ennis - 22 overall composite by 247
Malachi Richardson - 31 overall composite by 247
Benny Williams - 32 overall composite by 247
Tyus Battle - 36 overall composite by 247
Chance Westry - 39 overall composite by 247
Donnie Freeman - 39 overall composite by 247

Jerami Grant - 44 overall composite by 247
Tyler Roberson - 50 overall composite by 247
Kaleb Joseph - 51 overall composite by 247
Judah Mintz - 54 overall composite by 247
Jalen Carey - 61 overall composite by 247
Matt Moyer - 67 overall composite by 247
Tyler Lydon - 70 overall composite by 247
Taurean Thompson - 75 overall composite by 247
Frank Howard - 85 overall composite by 247
BJ Johnson - 95 overall composite by 247
Brycen Goodine - 97 overall composite by 247
Kadary Richmond - 99 overall composite by 247

Top 50 players have a very good hit rate for us. McCullough was a first round NBA pick and got hurt for us, so tough to judge, but those that completed at least one full season at SU had big impacts except for Coleman, who was injured all of the time. Only other one who could be considered a disappointment was Roberson, who still was a starter for us and was decently productive compared to some others.

Once you go past 50, it's hit or miss. Only Lydon really had what could be considered a good career at SU. Mintz too, even if he departs after a year.

Johnson had a good career elsewhere, Howard was an enigma but I guess was OK. Nobody else did much of anything.

All of this to say, we have three guys on next year's team that were recruited at the levels that the majority of SU's best players of the last decade were. If they could put it all together, it could be fun to watch. And adding Freeman for next year will hopefully continue that trend.

Man, I could get excited IF I thought we’d get these kids to stick around. I just don’t think that’ll happen. If it did, we’d have reason to think big. I’m not sure how ‘Cuse is going to keep it all together going forward. Honestly, I’m still in absolute shock that UConn and Hurley won a National Championship. It’s mind blowing and bad. Very, very bad. But, he out recruited us for players we’d normally want for a few years. Can Red keep these guys together? I hope so.

I wouldn't say full heater, but they've done well given where they started.

Freeman is a very good player. Borderline McDonald's AA candidate. 39 overall composite by 247.

Just for comparison's sake:

Chris McCullough - 20 overall composite by 247
Dajuan Coleman - 21 overall composite by 247
JJ Starling - 21 overall composite by 247
Tyler Ennis - 22 overall composite by 247
Malachi Richardson - 31 overall composite by 247
Benny Williams - 32 overall composite by 247
Tyus Battle - 36 overall composite by 247
Chance Westry - 39 overall composite by 247
Donnie Freeman - 39 overall composite by 247

Jerami Grant - 44 overall composite by 247
Tyler Roberson - 50 overall composite by 247
Kaleb Joseph - 51 overall composite by 247
Judah Mintz - 54 overall composite by 247
Jalen Carey - 61 overall composite by 247
Matt Moyer - 67 overall composite by 247
Tyler Lydon - 70 overall composite by 247
Taurean Thompson - 75 overall composite by 247
Frank Howard - 85 overall composite by 247
BJ Johnson - 95 overall composite by 247
Brycen Goodine - 97 overall composite by 247
Kadary Richmond - 99 overall composite by 247

Top 50 players have a very good hit rate for us. McCullough was a first round NBA pick and got hurt for us, so tough to judge, but those that completed at least one full season at SU had big impacts except for Coleman, who was injured all of the time. Only other one who could be considered a disappointment was Roberson, who still was a starter for us and was decently productive compared to some others.

Once you go past 50, it's hit or miss. Only Lydon really had what could be considered a good career at SU. Mintz too, even if he departs after a year.

Johnson had a good career elsewhere, Howard was an enigma but I guess was OK. Nobody else did much of anything.

All of this to say, we have three guys on next year's team that were recruited at the levels that the majority of SU's best players of the last decade were. If they could put it all together, it could be fun to watch. And adding Freeman for next year will hopefully continue that trend.

I'm grading the coaching staff on a curve. I get what you're saying by calling it a heater maybe being too bold, but I think since the transition was just a bit bumpy and Red's not a high profile guy yet, I'm giving them credit for where they are. But, with that said, I agree with your post. I think it's totally fair and accurate.

I really like Freeman from the little I've read/seen. I'm not a huge recruiting person, but I think this is a really strong get. I also like that the cadence with JJ/Westry and, fingers crossed, Donnie in terms of commitments is a great way to keep the inertia going.

We still have some work to do, but I'm happy so far.

Man, I could get excited IF I thought we’d get these kids to stick around. I just don’t think that’ll happen. If it did, we’d have reason to think big. I’m not sure how ‘Cuse is going to keep it all together going forward. Honestly, I’m still in absolute shock that UConn and Hurley won a National Championship. It’s mind blowing and bad. Very, very bad. But, he out recruited us for players we’d normally want for a few years. Can Red keep these guys together? I hope so.

Listen, I'm with you on the UConn stuff. I hate them. No argument from me. We'll see what happens. But Donnie Freeman is a great get to help keep the momentum we do have going.

I'm grading the coaching staff on a curve. I get what you're saying by calling it a heater maybe being too bold, but I think since the transition was just a bit bumpy and Red's not a high profile guy yet, I'm giving them credit for where they are. But, with that said, I agree with your post. I think it's totally fair and accurate.

I really like Freeman from the little I've read/seen. I'm not a huge recruiting person, but I think this is a really strong get. I also like that the cadence with JJ/Westry and, fingers crossed, Donnie in terms of commitments is a great way to keep the inertia going.

We still have some work to do, but I'm happy so far.
Between the transfers and the Moore/Freeman commits, this is the best offseason we have had since 2011-2013.

I think it's too early to judge this offseason. Too many moving parts still.

Between the transfers and the Moore/Freeman commits, this is the best offseason we have had since 2011-2013.
I am a pessimist, but we haven't had many good seasons since 2014 so your statement doesn't mean a heck of a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom