Class of 2024 - PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23) | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23)

What a FREAK.

Guys that big aren't supposed to move like that. That tells me his handle and jump shot will keep getting better, too. So fluid. I can't remember the last "holy chit" recruit we landed. Donnie is one of those.

What a FREAK.

Guys that big aren't supposed to move like that. That tells me his handle and jump shot will keep getting better, too. So fluid. I can't remember the last "holy chit" recruit we landed. Donnie is one of those.
Maybe Chris McCullough or Dontae Greene? But, Chris didn’t seem to have a good work ethic and Dontae seemed a bit immature. Hopefully we have some leaders for Donnie, because the talent is there.

Donnie finished his NIBC season averaging the following:

16.6 PPG
8.4 REB
2.2 AST
1.3 STL
0.8 BLK

53% FG
30% 3PT
75% FT

Had a strong finish to the season that I could see pushing him closer to top 10 status across all rankings if he performs well at the McDonalds game.

Granted Freeman had a major size advantage the entire game since Lumiere's big guy was out, but still, when's the last time we even had a player that could take advantage of a size advantage lol. Awesome game from him, his all-around skillset was very much on display. If he figures out the jumpshot, we might have something very very special here.

It comes down to who they can guard, right? Maliq is proven to be quite versatile and can guard many positions. However, I wouldn't want him trying to chase around an athletic true 3 all game. Nor would I want Donnie to do that. That would mean one would have to man the 5. Tall task for either, we've seen Maliq do well with some centers and not so well against others. He is decent, but I would love to strengthen that position. So, that leaves a zone. If we get a nice rim protector in the middle and Donnie and Maliq on the wings of a zone, that is some LENGTH!!! I have been looking forward to getting away from zone for years. But, next year's squad may be best playing a zone.

Donnie has the potential to be a really versatile defender. I’ve seen him switch onto guards a few times and he’s held his own for the most part. He’s got really good lateral quickness. I think he could guard your prototypical small forward in most cases.
I agree that Donnie can guard many positions. I just don't think it's ideal to have Donnie or Maliq guarding your typical ACC 3 all game long.

I agree that Donnie can guard many positions. I just don't think it's ideal to have Donnie or Maliq guarding your typical ACC 3 all game long.
Yeah probably not, but in games we’re getting killed on the boards I think it would be a benefit to have the option of putting him at the 3. Would probably need to counter that with Choppa at the 2 for shooting purposes unless JJ can make another leap with the jumper.

Yeah probably not, but in games we’re getting killed on the boards I think it would be a benefit to have the option of putting him at the 3. Would probably need to counter that with Choppa at the 2 for shooting purposes unless JJ can make another leap with the jumper.
It's all about building that roster to give us options. And, hopefully we are talented enough to force other teams to figure out how to beat us, not the other way around.

Donnie has the potential to be a really versatile defender. I’ve seen him switch onto guards a few times and he’s held his own for the most part. He’s got really good lateral quickness. I think he could guard your prototypical small forward in most cases.
He loses focus and lets guys cut past him as most high schoolers do, but yeah, you simply don't see many people with his height and length that move as well as he does. Not only did he switch onto some guards, but he's able to hedge VERY hard deep beyond the 3 point line while still being athletic enough to get back to his man if he rolls to the hoop. It isn't consistent right now, but there's some seriously freakish flashes from him on both ends of the court.

It comes down to who they can guard, right? Maliq is proven to be quite versatile and can guard many positions. However, I wouldn't want him trying to chase around an athletic true 3 all game. Nor would I want Donnie to do that. That would mean one would have to man the 5. Tall task for either, we've seen Maliq do well with some centers and not so well against others. He is decent, but I would love to strengthen that position. So, that leaves a zone. If we get a nice rim protector in the middle and Donnie and Maliq on the wings of a zone, that is some LENGTH!!! I have been looking forward to getting away from zone for years. But, next year's squad may be best playing a zone.
I think I'd probably still run man in that situation personally. Maliq is pretty mobile for a big and Donnie is extremely mobile; would really like to see them in a system where they can switch on screens and utilize Maliq's ability to play passing lanes more than just sticking him in the corner in the zone. I think the offensive end is the bigger issue. Assuming whatever center we bring in is not a perimeter shooter, a lineup with Donnie, Maliq, Center, and Quadir at guard would probably have some serious issues shooting the basketball.

What's really not ideal is having Maliq bang with an ACC center all game every game. We need a big, or combination of bigs, next year that can get us 15/10. Beyond that it's immaterial whether you have Maliq at the 4 and Donnie at the 3 or the other way around. The players have different skills but the positions are interchangeable. Both of these guys are (will be) tremendous players ... as long as they're not (other than periods of small ball) trying to play the 5.

Anyone who thinks Maliq can't play the 4 effectively hasn't seen the (second) UNC game.

I would love a starting 5 of portal pg that can shoot the 3, jj, Donnie, maliq, portal c

Q, Bell, McLeod, Westry main 4 off the bench,

Bell has earned the spot. Then it will be Brown and Freeman. Mix and match up front comes after that.
To add, I highly doubt Bell sticks around to be demoted. Not with his shooting acumen. He will have options.

My fear about Brown is if he wants to play the four. That is his more natural spot and where he can make a living. I hope he doesn't get itchy feet if his future here is playing the five alongside Freeman at the four.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom