Class of 2022 - PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all orange here from what I'm hearing
We haven't had a true power forward in a while. He seems to do a lot of things well. When we have a legit shot blocker at C and PF, it makes our interior defense so much better. Looks to me like that reported 7 foot wingspan is legit.

Nice to have that option coming. If he pulls the trigger.

Believe the last recent pure power forwards we had was Chris McCullough in 2015, Jerami Grant in 2013-2014 and Rick Jackson in late 2000s. The first two were only with the Cuse 1 year and 2 years respectively.
To me, CJ Fair and Tyler Lydon played more SF and C rather PF.

I'm not one to be pessimistic generally, but If this is the best we can do for forwards this year I find it highly, highly disappointing. You would think with the potential openings we have in the front court (we may not have a single returning forward) that we could have locked in a top 50 forward, or maybe two - if we were back to our old days of recruiting. I mean how hard of a sell job can it be when you look at how bare the front court may be next year. Yes he's got some potential, but we should be locking in stud forwards with the playing time we could offer.
Keep in mind what age we are in now with the transfer portal. Proven players with experience will be available to play right away; having those available positions come portal time will be invaluable to get top transfers - couple that with development of frosh and you're in business at the forward spot

Last edited:
I'm not one to be pessimistic generally, but If this is the best we can do for forwards this year I find it highly, highly disappointing. You would think with the potential openings we have in the front court (we may not have a single returning forward) that we could have locked in a top 50 forward, or maybe two - if we were back to our old days of recruiting. I mean how hard of a sell job can it be when you look at how bare the front court may be next year. Yes he's got some potential, but we should be locking in stud forwards with the playing time we could offer.

Well, we went after two PF studs -- Filipowski [who also may have played quite a bit of C here] and Barlow. Filipowski chose Duke despite us making a great initial impression, and Barlow turned pro.

Would have loved to land either. But in much the same way that Carey was an exceptional "pivot" after losing Clingan / Filipowski, Brown is a solid fall back option at 4. He's a big time athlete, and a great system fit.

Well, we went after two PF studs -- Filipowski [who also may have played quite a bit of C here] and Barlow. Filipowski chose Duke despite us making a great initial impression, and Barlow turned pro.

Would have loved to land either. But in much the same way that Carey was an exceptional "pivot" after losing Clingan / Filipowski, Brown is a solid fall back option at 4. He's a big time athlete, and a great system fit.
I actually like players like this based on the portal and everything else that has changed. For one his upside is there. Two he is not going to be a one and done. Three we are not getting a head case prima dona who will expect the world from the get go. These are the type of players that JB and our staff does well with. Great job by the staff on all of our recruits and on walking away from a potential mess.

That would be what the portal will give us

You aren't wrong. Class ended up being plan Bs and Cs after missing out on all of the big name top 50 guys.

Odds say 1 or 2 of the guys may overachieve and become quality starters, 1 or 2 will flame out and never play a meaningful minute. Looking like we'll end up pretty similar to our last 5 classes for better or worse.

You aren't wrong. Class ended up being plan Bs and Cs after missing out on all of the big name top 50 guys.

Odds say 1 or 2 of the guys may overachieve and become quality starters, 1 or 2 will flame out and never play a meaningful minute. Looking like we'll end up pretty similar to our last 5 classes for better or worse.
Really? Obviously JJ could change the dynamic, but if the class goes Copeland/Taylor/Bunch/Brown/Carey that's a really strong 5 man class, probably the best class we've had in a long time (especially with that many players).

Really? Obviously JJ could change the dynamic, but if the class goes Copeland/Taylor/Bunch/Brown/Carey that's a really strong 5 man class, probably the best class we've had in a long time (especially with that many players).
Totally agree!!!

JJ is the star...land him and everything else is gravy! I like Maliq though.
Agreed, pieces are great but only get you so far - need headliner in class; proves you can recruit at an elite level (important for future recruits to want to play with those guys) to land high level guys, especially one in your backyard.

I don't even think he has a commitable offer right now. Checking right now.
Ugh again, here comes negative nancy in me but we can't have 4-5 freshmen for next year. These guys aren't ready ready. I hope they pocket the scholarship and get a stud transfer.

JJ would certainly change things. With the other 5 though, none of them were our initial targets in the class and are rated significantly lower than those targets. 12 months ago people would have been laughed at and craptalked relentlessly if they said we were going to end up with a single top 100 recruit. How is this class much different besides everyone just saying that all of our guys are underrated as usual because it makes us feel better?

This class with Brown added: 1 50-100, 1 100-150, 2 200+
Class of 2020: 1 50-100, 1 100-150, 1 200+
2019: 1 50-100, 1 100-150, 1 150-200, 2 200+
2018: 1 50-100, 1 150-200, 1 200+
2017: 2 100-150, 1 150-200, 1 200+

I'm not a mathematician or recruiting "insider" but how do these classes not all look similar?

Last edited:
Ugh again, here comes negative nancy in me but we can't have 4-5 freshmen for next year. These guys aren't ready ready. I hope they pocket the scholarship and get a stud transfer.
No stud transfer forward is gonna come here with Benny, Taylor, Cole if he returns, possibly bunch. High level transfers want to be the guy on their team 90 percent of the time and that will be Benny.

This is why the year at IMG for Quadir and JT is so important. Fast track that growth so they are ready to be a part of next year's team and able to contribute

Head guy is about 77 years old now and plays 2 of his kids, and their friends from their AAU club.
Lots of guys transferred out the last 2 years (4 and 4) - transfer portal or not, guys who were guaranteed to be starters, or important contributors, left the program.

That's what 100 other schools are saying about us right now.

I think we are doing quite well, given the reality on the ground, with us now being a perennial bubble team who always makes a run as a Cinderella to the Sweet 16. This is our national brand now. We are a mid-tier ACC team, with a soon to retire coach.

If we wind up with a class of a likely 4 star 6-6 PG and a 6-6 SG who are both going to IMG for a prep year to play together, we get a nimble big man who is 7 feet tall, dribbles like a guard and is always attacking the rim, you add an athletic PF with some size like Maliq Brown, or that other guy who was blowing up this summer, I forget his name, but he was pitched as a 5 when he was more like an athletic 4/5. Then there's Bunch out there, a pretty decent wing.

If that's what we end up with, that's still a top 20 class, and fills a lot of needs with players who are clearly "good enough" and most will probably be here 2 o 3 years. You need classes like this every few years to build out your roster, so you have a "team" to assemble around the "stud" players.

No stud transfer forward is gonna come here with Benny, Taylor, Cole if he returns, possibly bunch. High level transfers want to be the guy on their team 90 percent of the time and that will be Benny.
Hence why I wish we would pocket the scholarships, and say thanks but no thanks to both Bunch and Brown. Cole is coming only for 1 year, Jimmy Jr will be gone. There's a slot for a possible 35minute stud forward

Hence why I wish we would pocket the scholarships, and say thanks but no thanks to both Bunch and Brown. Cole is coming only for 1 year, Jimmy Jr will be gone. There's a slot for a possible 35minute stud forward
Where's Cole going? He sure hasn't set the world on fire.

Hopefully Cole plays well enough to leave after a year, I dont think he has shown that as of yet in his career.

The way the transfer portal is now, I think it’s better to have guys like Bunch and Brown. Guys who will be solid contributors for a few years and fit well as role players. They likely won’t be looking to jump ship if they don’t get a certain number of shots per game, etc. Then you supplement guys like that with 1-2 stud transfers.

Freshman who come in and have big time years are more likely than ever to end up playing somewhere else year 2, whether it’s professional or the portal

The way the transfer portal is now, I think it’s better to have guys like Bunch and Brown. Guys who will be solid contributors for a few years and fit well as role players. They likely won’t be looking to jump ship if they don’t get a certain number of shots per game, etc. Then you supplement guys like that with 1-2 stud transfers.

Freshman who come in and have big time years are more likely than ever to end up playing somewhere else year 2, whether it’s professional or the portal
Like Woody Newton??

Yeah, so, um... when you have big minutes availability you want to have players that can contribute in those minutes.

And I suspect Bunch/Brown wouldn't scare off a high end transfer if we wanted to go that route.

People said the same about Newton and he left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom