Class of 2022 - PG Judah Mintz (DC / Oak Hill) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Judah Mintz (DC / Oak Hill) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
The DePaul board says a new assistant coach is bringing in all these recruits that do not belong at DePaul.

He is an older guy with a weight problem, a receding hairline and bad teeth.

It’s shocking he left Maryland for DePaul. And he brought in really good recruits to Maryland, including Wiggins, Ayala and Jalen Smith. I wonder what happened that made him leave the Terps for, gulp, DePaul?

He could be the reason. But I was responding to the idea that coaches are giving out NIL (unless it’s bags like before). Coaches can’t get near NIL.
No one is saying that, bees. Here’s what’s happening:

It was foolish for the NCAA to institute the NIL rule without any guardrails. And Syracuse and its boosters appear to be doing very little to advance the ball in this space.

Last edited:
Is it a lock when a player signs? *looking at Skyy*

Skyy never signed only committed.

Once you sign, it’s a contract and locks you in.

You would have to enter the portal to change your mind at that point

Not necessarily. You can ask the school to let you back out of your NLI. Most schools agree, nobody wants someone there that doesn't want to be there.

Not necessarily. You can ask the school to let you back out of your NLI. Most schools agree, nobody wants someone there that doesn't want to be there.

Very rare occasion that this situation occurs

Usually if you’re signing, you know the ramifications and that it makes it rock solid

Very rare occasion that this situation occurs

Usually if you’re signing, you know the ramifications and that it makes it rock solid
Literally happened at SU with Quade Green, but anyways...Judah Mintz!

Look, I know there is a lot of back and forth but I would assume that Mintz is going to DePaul.

It probably got leaked out early than what he wanted because someone has loose lips and that’s why he’s denying it all currently. Usually those crystal balls are pretty accurate

DePaul is not the DePaul we used to play. They are winning a lot more and are on an upward trajectory in a big city where they can secure NIL money for running ads on mass transit, local restaurants etc

It would be nice to see more of that in Syracuse from local places

Skyy did sign…

It’s crazy that AZOrange, SUOrangeSU and Bulldog all indicated that we were in a good position with Mintz recently. I’d been assuming all along that we’d probably lose him in the end, but then I started to believe. Maybe we will still sign him, but I’m in shock that a sorry program like DePaul, with no fan base, can suddenly reel in recruits like Zion.

It’s crazy that AZOrange, SUOrangeSU and Bulldog all indicated that we were in a good position with Mintz recently. I’d been assuming all along that we’d probably lose him in the end, but then I started to believe. Maybe we will still sign him, but I’m in shock that a sorry program like DePaul, with no fan base, can suddenly reel in recruits like Zion.
All about the Benjamins Sherm.

I kind of remember that. Shouldn’t advice like that have disqualified them from serving as a foster family in the future.
Adonal was a different situation. He came over in high school for a year or two and never really got acclimated to life outside of Hamilton NY. It was a logical choice for Adonal to pick Colgate.

No one is saying that, bees. Here’s what’s happening:

It was foolish for the NCAA to institute the NIL rule without any guardrails. And Syracuse and its boosters appear to be doing very little to advance the ball in this space.

People certainly are saying it. In this thread and others. And Syracuse is doing what they are allowed to.

Look, I know there is a lot of back and forth but I would assume that Mintz is going to DePaul.

It probably got leaked out early than what he wanted because someone has loose lips and that’s why he’s denying it all currently. Usually those crystal balls are pretty accurate

DePaul is not the DePaul we used to play. They are winning a lot more and are on an upward trajectory in a big city where they can secure NIL money for running ads on mass transit, local restaurants etc

It would be nice to see more of that in Syracuse from local places
Chicago is a pro sports town. Nobody cares about DePaul there and there’s not much evidence they are winning more. They have been under .500 in conference play for 17 straight seasons.

People certainly are saying it. In this thread and others. And Syracuse is doing what they are allowed to.
I think most posters know that coaches and athletic departments can’t be directly facilitating these deals. But do you understand what’s happening in the NIL space with boosters and collectives and more? Did you read those articles I shared? Syracuse and its boosters are behind the 8-ball, no doubt. Implementation of NIL changes landscape of college recruiting
But there’s also more that the basketball program and the athletic department could be doing. You have to have a serious, high-level NIL presentation for recruits, with strategy, earning potentials, etc. Other schools immediately jumped into making that part of their pitch. The coaches can’t facilitate the deals but they can show the pathways and potential. We did not have that for last year’s recruiting cycle, per Matt Gutierrez and other reporters’ comments. We may have lost out on Lands because we didn’t make that central to our pitch. And I doubt it’s changed for the Mintz recruitment. On top of that, the athletic department should be hiring multiple dedicated staff members to help advise players in the NIL space. Again, other schools are way out front in that regard. Each of Ohio State’s 36 varsity sports will have an NIL coordinator:

I think most posters know that coaches and athletic departments can’t be directly facilitating these deals. But do you understand what’s happening in the NIL space with boosters and collectives and more? Did you read those articles I shared? Syracuse and its boosters are behind the 8-ball, no doubt. Implementation of NIL changes landscape of college recruiting
But there’s also more that the basketball program and the athletic department could be doing. You have to have a serious, high-level NIL presentation for recruits, with strategy, earning potentials, etc. Other schools immediately jumped into making that part of their pitch. The coaches can’t facilitate the deals but they can show the pathways and potential. We did not have that for last year’s recruiting cycle, per Matt Gutierrez and other reporters’ comments. We may have lost out on Lands because we didn’t make that central to our pitch. And I doubt it’s changed for the Mintz recruitment. On top of that, the athletic department should be hiring multiple dedicated staff members to help advise players in the NIL space. Again, other schools are way out front in that regard. Each of Ohio State’s 36 varsity sports will have an NIL coordinator:

I fully know about NIL. I’m the one that started the NIL thread and linked articles and discussed some of the big payouts. Yet there are still posters that complain about this staff and the university and why aren’t we getting up to speed on getting players NIL. And I know what SU can do and what they are doing. By your post you must not. And that’s OK. But those things have been posted too.

He asked for his release. If it was only a verbal, he wouldn't need it.

He asked for his release. If it was only a verbal, he wouldn't need it.

I see that now

Thought he had only verbally committed, didn’t realize he had signed a LOI

That would signal he’s absolutely going G league or overseas to play etc

Okay, enough for the sidebar conversation of Skyy

My only concern is that the coaching staff has shown that they don't always have their finger on the pulse.

There have been times when they felt really confident about recruits, only to have things go in a different direction.
Did this happen again here?

Adonal was a different situation. He came over in high school for a year or two and never really got acclimated to life outside of Hamilton NY. It was a logical choice for Adonal to pick Colgate.

The kid was at a level that with the right development he could expect to have a pro career which could set him up and offer him choices for the rest of his life, more so than a simple degree would. Colgate was unlikely to further his development because the program was not at that level. He could get both the athletic development and degree at SU. To me it seems like the better choice would have been to work to find ways to help him feel comfortable at the appropriate school.

Last edited:
The kid was at a level that with the right development he could expect to have a pro career which could set him up and offer him choices for the rest of his life, more so than a simple degree would. Colgate was unlikely to further his development because the program was not at that level. He could get both the athletic development and degree at SU. To me it seems like the better choice would have been to work to find ways to help him feel comfortable at the appropriate school.
His foster parents/guardians were both profs at Colgate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom