Class of 2017 - PG Quade Green (PA) Verbaled to Kentucky | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Quade Green (PA) Verbaled to Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to bring up a couple negative points, and i dont think this applies to Green, but two guys who strike me as slightly overated are Bamba and Ham. Not convinced these guys skillset is as fully refined as some of the other top guys. I thought it was striking the difference between MB and Washingtons Porter Jr in their recent head to head game. Not only was MP more physically ready , had a better all around game, but MBs effort level and defense , for a fairly big game, were not very impressive. Altho i guess you could say they just played a bunch of games in a row, but it didnt affect Porter much. Then with Ham, the only highlites i see of him are dunking on people . Do you really think the duks, uls, and uvas of the world are going to let Ham dunk on them repeatedly in his freshman season? Can Ham be a playmaker at the acc level? Can he knock down shots? I just worry these two are going to be more like CMccullough where they are are predetermined one n done but wont be physical enough or refined enough to have much impact in their one season at SU, especially in ACC play. Its just me but i Would rather have a recruiting foundation of Green, Richards, Tucker/Walker/Randolph. Not nec saying T/W/R are better wing players than Ham , just that they might stick around longer (or have more well rounded games) to have more impact. And then in terms of Richards vs Bamba (if it comes down to that) seems like Richards might be more physically mature if theyre going to be here one year. But i get it, recruiting is extremely tough, you just take the top prospects willing to commit...

Last edited:
Porter isn't a center, why are you comparing him to Bamba?
True! But at that level he certainly could play C if he wanted to. If you remember that game, it was a blowout, it devolved into an open court game in the second half and many times MB in open space had to try to defend Porter, imo he struggled bigtime. I also recall several times in half court they wound up defending ea other. Also there are many people who speculate MB will not be a C at the nba level ; its possible he could play the wing in SUs zone. Most of these players are obviously trying to be as versatile as possible...

Just as an aside:

Five Observations from the Peach Jam

Last edited:
True! But at that level he certainly could play C if he wanted to. If you remember that game, it was a blowout, it devolved into an open court game in the second half and many times MB in open space had to try to defend Porter, imo he struggled bigtime.
We play zone

We play zone
Are you saying in man 2 man you have to defend a guy in space but in a zone you dont? Thats like saying in a zone you dont have to play defense lol

Edit so obviously i have seen games where uk and other's man D switch on most every screen. Isnt that a form of help defense very similarly to how SUs zone is an elaborate form of help defense? Lets face it, in JBs zone there are many principles of both man to man and help defense. But when you look at our recent two runs to the FF, JBs zone was obviously a very effective D overall

Last edited:
Hate to bring up a couple negative points, and i dont think this applies to Green, but two guys who strike me as slightly overated are Bamba and Ham. Not convinced these guys skillset is as fully refined as some of the other top guys. I thought it was striking the difference between MB and Washingtons Porter Jr in their recent head to head game. Not only was MP more physically ready , had a better all around game, but MBs effort level and defense , for a fairly big game, were not very impressive. Altho i guess you could say they just played a bunch of games in a row, but it didnt affect Porter much. Then with Ham, the only highlites i see of him are dunking on people . Do you really think the duks, uls, and uvas of the world are going to let Ham dunk on them repeatedly in his freshman season? Can Ham be a playmaker at the acc level? Can he knock down shots? I just worry these two are going to be more like CMccullough where they are are predetermined one n done but wont be physical enough or refined enough to have much impact in their one season at SU, especially in ACC play. Its just me but i Would rather have a recruiting foundation of Green, Richards, Tucker/Walker/Randolph. Not nec saying T/W/R are better wing players than Ham , just that they might stick around longer (or have more well rounded games) to have more impact. And then in terms of Richards vs Bamba (if it comes down to that) seems like Richards might be more physically mature if theyre going to be here one year. But i get it, recruiting is extremely tough, you just take the top prospects willing to commit...

I agree for the most part. I would prefer Green, Richards and Walker if given a choice.

I agree for the most part. I would prefer Green, Richards and Walker if given a choice.
I am certainly not an expert, but for whatever reason I have a better feeling about Richards than Bamba who seems a little out of control and sloppy at times.

In any case, lots to get excited about a 3-man rotation of Chuckwu, TT and Richards/Bamba at the 4-5 in 2017/18/19!

We sound like Duke right now saying we'd prefer one 5 star over another. I think it'd be pretty awesome to land either Bamba or Richards
True enough but hopefully its also true enough that we beat out duk in the acc and or ncaas next year...and hopefully we beat them out for one or two of these 4/5 star recruits!!

I watched both Bamba and Richards go head to head back in July at the Peach Jam quarterfinals. In the 1st half it was pretty much a wash. Both were able to score down low against one another and control the glass. In the 2nd half down the stretch, it became the Bamba show and he started to take over. Hit a few shots over Richards in the post and blocked/altered numerous shots that Richards tried to get over him. I personally think Bamba is the better player with the much higher upside, but Richards is fairly new to the game and has tremendous upside as well. Getting either one would be huge for us.

You're wrong on Bamba

From what I heard , Mo felt out of place last weekend and essentially didn't even know why he was there. No doubt Jim and G Mac will pull the thread, but survey of sources says Mo isn't going to consider SU even if Quade ends up committing.

Last edited:
I don't think I am, but maybe you have some insight I don't.

From what I heard , Mo felt out of place last weekend and essentially didn't even know why he was there. No doubt Jim and G Mac will pull the thread, but survey of sources says Mo isn't going to consider SU even if Quade ends up committing.
He drove up to a school for a summer basketball camp and didnt know why he was there ? Ok dokey dr jokey

I watched both Bamba and Richards go head to head back in July at the Peach Jam quarterfinals. In the 1st half it was pretty much a wash. Both were able to score down low against one another and control the glass. In the 2nd half down the stretch, it became the Bamba show and he started to take over. Hit a few shots over Richards in the post and blocked/altered numerous shots that Richards tried to get over him. I personally think Bamba is the better player with the much higher upside, but Richards is fairly new to the game and has tremendous upside as well. Getting either one would be huge for us.
How do you think Bamba would do physically in his freshman yr vs acc centers and power forwards? I just dont see how he ll be physical enough if McCullough wasnt physical enough in his one season. But maybe his length and athleticism will more than make up for it. How will Richards do physically his freshman yr vs centers in acc? You see where im going for this- Fab, Rak, DC, McC, all of em were bigtime HS recruits yet none of em had much impact their freshman year...and if youre one and done...

but yes MB and NR are both impressive prospects, just like most of the 4 Cuse guys i listed above eventually became legit nba prospects...

How do tou think Bamba would do physically in his freshman yr vs acc centers and power forwards? I just dont see how he ll be physical enough if McCullough wasnt physical enough in his one season. But maybe his length and athleticism will more than make up for it. How will Richards do physically his freshman yr vs centers in acc? You see where im going for this- Fab, Rak, DC, McC, all of em were bigtime HS recruits yet none of em had much impact their freshman year...and if youre one and done...

but yes MB and NR are both impressive prospects, just like most of the 4 Cuse guys i listed above eventually became legit nba prospects...
I'm not Dean, but that is a good question, and it remains to be seen how well he would do against more mature players. Although, he does have a full year to add weight and strength. I do think his length will help him cope with a strength disadvantage. He is a smart kid, I think he would figure it out. He is likely a one and done and his basketball will be beyond the one year he plays in college, but I think he could have a fantastic year in college. Everyone was skinnier then, but look at Ralph Sampson back in the early 80's. That dude was pencil thin and there were big men that were much stronger, but he was the best center in the game.

Richards reminds me of a more physically imposing Rakeem Christmas. I could see it taking a few years at Syracuse before he really "gets" it. I'm sure he'd be very valuable and a good player for us from the beginning, but I think Bamba's a 1 and done for sure. In that sense, I'd almost rather have Richards.

Richards reminds me of a more physically imposing Rakeem Christmas. I could see it taking a few years at Syracuse before he really "gets" it. I'm sure he'd be very valuable and a good player for us from the beginning, but I think Bamba's a 1 and done for sure. In that sense, I'd almost rather have Richards.
Yeah thats the point im struggling to make. Given how JB has used Fab, Rak, DC very sparingly in their freshmen years. Do we really want to go after one and done centers (or power fowards like McC for that matter)?? Or do we want to go after multiyear guys? Tough question but JB knows what hes doing so it will be interesting to see how it plays out

We sound like Duke right now saying we'd prefer one 5 star over another. I think it'd be pretty awesome to land either Bamba or Richards
Not going to land either with that kind of attitude !!

Hmm interesting insight in your four posts...what's your connection here?

Former player and current assistant, GM.

I've heard the same. Also heard that MB will not consider Syracuse regardless of whether or not Quade ends up committing.

I assume that if Orangeman13 was honest with you, he'd tell you the same thing.

Buds w GMac?

And what does "pull the thread" mean?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.