Class of 2017 - PG Quade Green (PA) Verbaled to Kentucky | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Quade Green (PA) Verbaled to Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been so lucky with the continuity of the coaching staff. One day, Red or Gerry might take a HC job...

Will Red get to coach both White and Green???
Oh, great. Forza would just love that.
255px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png

"I don't think Syracuse falls under big name school" says the troll Nova fan. What a joke.

Lol was talking to a bartender last weekend from Philly. We were talking college ball, and I brought up his hometown squad. He slammed Nova, and referenced a field trip when he was in middle school to the campus. Per him: "I was with my friends and we were like, what the hell is Villanova?"

Nova has done a nice job maintaining since their elite conference fell apart... but it can't last forever. As long as theyou stay good t&ey can recruit... but at some point every program has a couple down years. Injuries hut, guys just don't pan out. And when that happens they won't be able to recover like old BE or current P5 programs could.

Nova has done a nice job maintaining since their elite conference fell apart... but it can't last forever. As long as theyou stay good t&ey can recruit... but at some point every program has a couple down years. Injuries hut, guys just don't pan out. And when that happens they won't be able to recover like old BE or current P5 programs could.

They literally just won a National Championship 5 months ago and are probably recruiting at their highest level ever and you are forecasting their demise? Man are we delusional and looking down from our pedestal sometimes.

They literally just won a National Championship 5 months ago and are probably recruiting at their highest level ever and you are forecasting their demise? Man are we delusional and looking down from our pedestal sometimes.

I'll add that we recruit many of the same players and many fans want their coach to come here once JB retires. The new Big East is a great bball conference. Much better than the AAC.

I know... and things never change and the same teams that are good now are good aways. On that note I can't wait for the sure thing UNLV and Depaul Final Four matchup. Winning breeds winning. As long as they are very good they will recruit very well. That may last a long time. But dips happen... and can they recover from a couple NIT type years? That has yet to be seen... but I doubt it.

Last edited:
I'll add that we recruit many of the same players and many fans want their coach to come here once JB retires. The new Big East is a great bball conference. Much better than the AAC.

I think the new BE is going to be by far the best basketball conference that is not one of the P5. They have some distinct advantages over the other so called mid majors. There is no football at all so basketball is the focus and the major decisions will be made with basketball in mind. They still have schools that cover the major East Coasts Cities. (DC, Philly, NYC) The additional schools that aren't BE are at least grouped together somewhat geographically. They have 10 teams so they can play home n home with everyone. Almost every single school has had a very strong basketball program at one time or another during their history. They are still playing their tourney at MSG!
Look at some of these other mid-major conferences and the names simply don't have the basketball credibility that the BE lineup does. Its a good basketball conference no question about it, and its still fun to watch. They just won a NC and Nova will likely be in play for another one this year. I don't think long term they are going to have a NC contender every season but Nova's win last year was great timing for the BE. They will never be as deep with top teams as the ACC but they are a multi bid league (3-4) for the foreseeable future.
I do find it interesting that Nova specifically has turned up its recruiting while some others have seen a downturn. I wonder if its because there isn't a P5 team in Philly.

The Big East WAS great... it's still good but some of that is living on name recognition. But teams are already becoming less relevant than they were during the end of the real BE era. GTown has fallen off a cliff. Marquette has declined in relevance. It will continue across the board. Not to the same extent at the AAC... but it will be a 2nd tier conference if it isn't already.

The Big East WAS great... it's still good but some of that is living on name recognition. But teams are already becoming less relevant than they were during the end of the real BE era. GTown has fallen off a cliff. Marquette has declined in relevance. It will continue across the board. Not to the same extent at the AAC... but it will be a 2nd tier conference if it isn't already.

You're looking at names only. They have 10 schools. They have had 4,6, and 5 schools in the tournament the last 3 years respectively. So Georgetown and Marquette haven't been great the past couple years. Seton Hall and Providence have improved. Butler will always be good, as will Xavier.

Georgetown and Marquette being down are just part of a cycle IMO.

You're looking at names only. They have 10 schools. They have had 4,6, and 5 schools in the tournament the last 3 years respectively. So Georgetown and Marquette haven't been great the past couple years. Seton Hall and Providence have improved. Butler will always be good, as will Xavier.

I think Gtown is going to be down until they get rid of JT3. Also the longer he is their the harder it will be for them to climb back.

I think Gtown is going to be down until they get rid of JT3. Also the longer he is their the harder it will be for them to climb back.

That is a weird scenario. He was great there his initial 4 years, but since then he hasn't been able to get out of the first round and then last year they tanked. I don't think it's a coincidence that Virginias ascent has directly correlated with Georgetown's downturn.

Again, we need to calm down with hyperbole. I'm not saying Nova falls off a cliff and become Ball st. I'm simply saying they fall off the Elite level they've been at the last few years and level off as a very good midmajor type program. But in 10 years I'd expect they won't be a usual threat for Quade Green type recruits.

I think the new BE is going to be by far the best basketball conference that is not one of the P5. They have some distinct advantages over the other so called mid majors. There is no football at all so basketball is the focus and the major decisions will be made with basketball in mind. They still have schools that cover the major East Coasts Cities. (DC, Philly, NYC) The additional schools that aren't BE are at least grouped together somewhat geographically. They have 10 teams so they can play home n home with everyone. Almost every single school has had a very strong basketball program at one time or another during their history. They are still playing their tourney at MSG!
Look at some of these other mid-major conferences and the names simply don't have the basketball credibility that the BE lineup does. Its a good basketball conference no question about it, and its still fun to watch. They just won a NC and Nova will likely be in play for another one this year. I don't think long term they are going to have a NC contender every season but Nova's win last year was great timing for the BE. They will never be as deep with top teams as the ACC but they are a multi bid league (3-4) for the foreseeable future.
I do find it interesting that Nova specifically has turned up its recruiting while some others have seen a downturn. I wonder if its because there isn't a P5 team in Philly.
The main reason I wanted to exit the Big East was because, at the time, no school outside the power conferences (which included the Big East) had won a basketball title since UNLV in 1990. I didn't want to see our proud basketball team left at the secondary table. However, since SU, Pitt and Louisville left & joined the ACC, non power conference schools have now won 2 of the last 3! Of course, all of UConn's and some of Nova's players were recruited to what was then the power Big East, but still. They are both recruiting like they are still in a power conference. We'll have to see how it works out after a decade or so, but for now it looks like the gravitational pull of big time football might not have been what it seemed to be.

I know... and things never change and the same teams that are good now are good aways. On that note I can't wait for the sure thing UNLV and Depaul Final Four matchup. Winning breeds winning. As long as they are very good they will recruit very well. That may last a long time. But dips happen... and can they recover from a couple NIT type years? That has yet to be seen... but I doubt it.

I barely think the P5 part is even relevant in basketball. Its obviously all that matters in football but in basketball its honestly not that big of a deal. The Big East is still just as prestigious to me as the Big 10, Big 12 or Pac 12 is in hoops. Kansas has won the Big 12 100 years in a row, who even cares about that conference. Big 10 is Indiana and whoever, Pac 12 is Arizona, UCLA and whatever.

I barely think the P5 part is even relevant in basketball. Its obviously all that matters in football but in basketball its honestly not that big of a deal. The Big East is still just as prestigious to me as the Big 10, Big 12 or Pac 12 is in hoops. Kansas has won the Big 12 100 years in a row, who even cares about that conference. Big 10 is Indiana and whoever, Pac 12 is Arizona, UCLA and whatever.
I think it DOES matter for one reason... TV. ESPN has an interest in the ACC etc doing well. Big East games can be lost on Fox Sports New Jersey or whatever. Perception becomes reality eventually.

That is a weird scenario. He was great there his initial 4 years, but since then he hasn't been able to get out of the first round and then last year they tanked. I don't think it's a coincidence that Virginias ascent has directly correlated with Georgetown's downturn.
it wasn't that long ago that Villanova suffered a serious downturn. After their Final Four in 2009, they earned a 2 seed but were upset in the 2nd round in 2010, then they had three bad years (by their standards), with 45 combined losses in the next three seasons. The 2 years before their title they had great seasons, but flamed out early in the tournament both times. You could have made the same argument about Wright in the summer of 2014 that you are making about JT3 right now.

Last edited:

That's funny about Virginia. Are you implying that there are only so many good players willing to play in really boring systems? :p

Remember when JT3 was bringing in burger boys regularly? As you noted when those teams all failed to do anything in the NCAAT was when his recruiting went in the pooper. When you string together multiple seasons of NCAAT failure and non NCAAT seasons things get tough really quickly. Our miraculous run to the FF after the brilliantly strategic self impossed ban has already paid big dividends. We are going to be very good this season so we have essentially erased any hangover from our NCAA penalties.

I just don't see Gtown being able to do that without getting rid of JT3 who seems to have lost his recruiting edge and runs a system that kids seem disinterest in. I'm not sure JT will allow them to get rid of JT3 though.

I think it DOES matter for one reason... TV. ESPN has an interest in the ACC etc doing well. Big East games can be lost on Fox Sports New Jersey or whatever. Perception becomes reality eventually.

And where are the large percentage of Pac-12 games that I take it that you watch?

it wasn't that long ago that Villanova suffered a serious downturn. After their Final Four in 2009, they earned a 2 seed but were upset in the 2nd round in 2010, then they had three bad years (by their standards), with double 45 combined losses in the next three seasons. The 2 years before their title they had great seasons, but flamed out early in the tournament both times. You could have made the same argument about Wright in the summer of 2014 that you are making about JT3 right now.

I see your point but JT3's has extended for multiple seasons in a row now and longer than Wright's. Its also easy to see the talent level dropping at Gtown while Nova maintained the talent level pretty closely and improved it the last couple of seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.