Class of 2022 - PG Quadir Copeland (PA/IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 57 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Quadir Copeland (PA/IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q put a short video up from the game last night of him going LEFT and finishing LEFT. :)

Goes left with a nice crossover - AND finishes with the left hand!

I can deal with turnovers caused by trying to do too much. That is fixable.

As long as he can dribble, and go by people and get to his spots, we’re good.

Agreed. That's one of the biggest transitions for lead guards -- eliminating stuff that they could get away with at the HS level, once they step up to the collegiate level.

I'd be more concerned about him not seeing the floor well, not demonstrating lead guard aptitude, etc. Which fortunately isn't the case.

He has some things he needs to clean up, and perhaps some opportunities to tighten the handle a bit, but the tools are all there. And he seems really, really adept at using his size to create mismatches -- as General20 pointed out this summer when he did a game film analysis.

I just really struggle to see how someone watches this and lists him as a 3 star. Maybe he’s just the prototypical highlight player and does nothing otherwise, but kid really looks like he has a high ceiling.
All of you 3 star people so concerned about 3***stars. Donovan McNabb was a three star too and he really sucked playing for us and the Eagles.

All of you 3 star people so concerned about 3***stars. Donovan McNabb was a three star too and he really sucked playing for us and the Eagles.

Not so sure about that:

High School: McNabb earned Parade Magazine All-American honors while leading Mount Carmel to a state championship ... Earned Chicago Sun Times Athlete of the Year honors as a senior.

Ithaca: Well I got this one wrong. I did not do enough research. You da Man! Thanks for correcting me.

At Mt. Carmel High School, where McNabb was a star athlete, he was surrounded by immense talent. Two of his classmates were future NFL standout Simeon Rice and Antoine Walker of the NBA. In high school, McNabb was a prep All-America selection and was also named Chicago Defender News player of the year. He also excelled on the basketball court.

High School: Tom Lemming All-American and No. 2 rated prep option QB in the country ... 874 passing yards and 12 passing TDs and 633 rushing yards and 13 rushing TDs as a senior

Top 50 high school quarterbacks of all time

13. Donovan McNabb, Mount Carmel (Chicago, Ill.), 1994
High School: Earned Parade Magazine All-American honors while leading Mount Carmel to a state championship ... Earned Chicago Sun Times Athlete of the Year honors as a senior.
College: A three-time All-Big East Offensive Player of the Year ... Had a 35-14 record at Syracuse ... A backup on Syracuse's 1996 team that reached the NCAA national championship basketball game.
Professional: Earned Pro Bowl honors six times and led the Eagles to a Super Bowl appearance ... Threw for 37,276 yards in his career.

Ithaca: Well I got this one wrong. I did not do enough research. You da Man! Thanks for correcting me.

At Mt. Carmel High School, where McNabb was a star athlete, he was surrounded by immense talent. Two of his classmates were future NFL standout Simeon Rice and Antoine Walker of the NBA. In high school, McNabb was a prep All-America selection and was also named Chicago Defender News player of the year. He also excelled on the basketball court.

High School: Tom Lemming All-American and No. 2 rated prep option QB in the country ... 874 passing yards and 12 passing TDs and 633 rushing yards and 13 rushing TDs as a senior

Top 50 high school quarterbacks of all time
13. Donovan McNabb, Mount Carmel (Chicago, Ill.), 1994
High School: Earned Parade Magazine All-American honors while leading Mount Carmel to a state championship ... Earned Chicago Sun Times Athlete of the Year honors as a senior.
College: A three-time All-Big East Offensive Player of the Year ... Had a 35-14 record at Syracuse ... A backup on Syracuse's 1996 team that reached the NCAA national championship basketball game.
Professional: Earned Pro Bowl honors six times and led the Eagles to a Super Bowl appearance ... Threw for 37,276 yards in his career.
I believe he also may have had a Nebraska offer, which for an option QB at the time was like getting an Alabama or OSU offer today

I see a lot of Lazarus Sims in Copeland. Lots of talent, not so much good judgement.

Z finally got his chance his senior season at Syracuse. I hope Quadir 'gets it' sooner than Lazarus did.
FIFY. If you could find the tape, when Michael Lloyd left, I called the predecessor of the Adam Schein show and predicted a Final Four because Z would be running the show.

Last edited:
I see a lot of Lazarus Sims in Copeland. Lots of talent, not so much good judgement.

Z finally put it together his senior season at Syracuse. I hope Quadir 'gets it' sooner than Lazarus did.
Good call Tom. Hes raw but super talented. Gmac will have this kid playing great ball by his sophomore year. Q is my favorite recruit out of this class.

The thing I like about Copeland is that he brings something I think we've been missing for a while, and that is, multiple times a game he's going to pull something off that's a clear reminder to the opponent that he can do some things in basketball that they just can't.

And that is a powerful thing.

The thing I like about Copeland is that he brings something I think we've been missing for a while, and that is, multiple times a game he's going to pull something off that's a clear reminder to the opponent that he can do some things in basketball that they just can't.

And that is a powerful thing.

He's got serious swag. I hope JB doesn't crush it out of him, because it's part of what makes him so special. Sometimes, you just have to "try stuff" out there. He's got so much Pearl in him, but obviously not at that level yet that he's undefendable on the drive.

He's got serious swag. I hope JB doesn't crush it out of him, because it's part of what makes him so special. Sometimes, you just have to "try stuff" out there. He's got so much Pearl in him, but obviously not at that level yet that he's undefendable on the drive.
He let MCW play, so I will expect JB to let him play. Might give JB fits, but with this type of player you have the good and bad.

Not so sure about that:

High School: McNabb earned Parade Magazine All-American honors while leading Mount Carmel to a state championship ... Earned Chicago Sun Times Athlete of the Year honors as a senior.
I don't believe there were recruiting services who awarded stars back then. However, it's fair to say that McNabb didn't have a ton of offers, and in fact, I seem to recall the Cornhuskers were recruiting McNabb to play Safety.
Maybe a better, contemporary example is Sean Tucker, whom one popular recruiting service (2-7) awarded 3 stars and the #58 RB in his class.
And since this is on the BB forum, an under-rated player who immediately comes to mind is Hakim Warrick, who I'm pretty sure was a 3 star recruit and a fall-back option after Julius Hodge spurned us.

So I would agree with Bill that the current recruiting service ratings are very subjective aren't always reliable in projecting future success.

Reactions: CIL
I would like to point out the legion of Three Stars recruits that never amounted to anything at this level because everybody was right that they weren't elite talents.

There are several hundred players that are (reasonably) accurately ranked for every Warrick and Tucker.

Note: this is not a critique of Copeland. I think he was mistakenly ranked lower than he should have been due to a once a century issue that kept the players and evaluators home. Copeland will be top 50 by the end of the season. He won't be higher partly because of the persistent anti Syracuse bias in the rankings.

I would like to point out the legion of Three Stars recruits that never amounted to anything at this level because everybody was right that they weren't elite talents.

There are several hundred players that are (reasonably) accurately ranked for every Warrick and Tucker.

Note: this is not a critique of Copeland. I think he was mistakenly ranked lower than he should have been due to a once a century issue that kept the players and evaluators home. Copeland will be top 50 by the end of the season. He won't be higher partly because of the persistent anti Syracuse bias in the rankings.
Quade green says hello

I don't believe there were recruiting services who awarded stars back then. However, it's fair to say that McNabb didn't have a ton of offers, and in fact, I seem to recall the Cornhuskers were recruiting McNabb to play Safety.
Maybe a better, contemporary example is Sean Tucker, whom one popular recruiting service (2-7) awarded 3 stars and the #58 RB in his class.
And since this is on the BB forum, an under-rated player who immediately comes to mind is Hakim Warrick, who I'm pretty sure was a 3 star recruit and a fall-back option after Julius Hodge spurned us.

So I would agree with Bill that the current recruiting service ratings are very subjective aren't always reliable in projecting future success.
I’m pretty sure Nebraska recruited him to QB. What I recall is that they didn’t want him playing basketball.

Quade green says hello

And for every Quade Green who's career isn't up to his ranking, you have tens of top 25 kids who play like top 25 talents.

Because you can find an exception, and name them individually, that proves the rule.

Another example: Half of all players in the major leagues of baseball were first round draft picks... Does that mean the scouts made mistakes on the other half? Yes, maybe... But there are 35-40 (counting supplemental picks) first rounders and 500 other players drafted annually. Some of them are going to be better than their initial rankings, but don't bet on it.

The recruiting rankings in any given year will have a couple misses at the top, and some guys forgotten about will exceed, but don't ignore the rankings when you don't like what they say.

I for instance hate really funny like Lands shot or his game in general from his highlights. I am willing to except the experts who rank him highly know better than me. I feel the opposite about Copeland, thinking their ranks probably should be reversed... But I've seen minutes of footage of each, I would hope the pro talent evaluators have seen hours both on tape and live.

And for every Quade Green who's career isn't up to his ranking, you have tens of top 25 kids who play like top 25 talents.

Because you can find an exception, and name them individually, that proves the rule.

Another example: Half of all players in the major leagues of baseball were first round draft picks... Does that mean the scouts made mistakes on the other half? Yes, maybe... But there are 35-40 (counting supplemental picks) first rounders and 500 other players drafted annually. Some of them are going to be better than their initial rankings, but don't bet on it.

The recruiting rankings in any given year will have a couple misses at the top, and some guys forgotten about will exceed, but don't ignore the rankings when you don't like what they say.

I for instance hate really funny like Lands shot or his game in general from his highlights. I am willing to except the experts who rank him highly know better than me. I feel the opposite about Copeland, thinking their ranks probably should be reversed... But I've seen minutes of footage of each, I would hope the pro talent evaluators have seen hours both on tape and live.
I know what your saying it just works both ways. We should focus on scheme fits and guys who can become veterans. Luka Garza was better than any five star frosg

Curious on baseball. Since only Americans are subject to the draft, are the other half a mix between foreign players, lower drafted and FA.

Warrick was a 4 Star and top 75-80ish by the time he was on campus. He was a three start when he committed but he shot up the ranking his senior year.

Curious on baseball. Since only Americans are subject to the draft, are the other half a mix between foreign players, lower drafted and FA.

This is only of the players subject to the draft... International amateur free agents and other non draftees aren't counted.

The amazing thing is how bad the success rates are just on the guys outside the top 5...

Last edited:
Quad it has signed.

E77E1BF6-AFFB-417F-A8D0-6A507E7D080B.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online