Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

Yep and on the heels of a freshman that played like a senior PG so people have a hard time putting it into perspective. I think KJ will be a fine player for us and although probably not a stud PG next season he will improve enough to shock most posters here.
Yep...and again, everyone seems to forget, Kaleb was brought in with the intention of playing him probably 10 minutes per game...and then Ennis absolutely blew up and went pro early, which NO ONE could have anticipated. So Kaleb wasn't even supposed to be on the floor last year.

With all due respect, no malice intended, honest. We are bringing in 4 top 100 recruits and some think the program is in the balance. I don't honestly understand this.
Of course the program is not in the balance! The only time it'll be close is the transition from JB to Hop/whoever. But we can still talk about next season potentially being a struggle, despite a good recruiting class.

Not to continue to hijack the thread, but I saw nothing from Kaleb that was not fixable with natural development. In fact I saw pretty significant strides through the non-conference schedule culminating with a strong game against Nova. He cut way back on unforced turnovers and began to attack with aggression. Unfortunately that seemed to be the peak and there was very little improvement from that point forward. With a productive summer I expect a physically more mature player who hopefully develops some confidence to be at least a positive presence on the floor next year.

That being said, Battle is by all accounts a transcendent talent and matchup nightmare who would elevate his team to another level. This would not be unlike Pearl's freshman year where he came in and replaced a 2 year starter at point in Gene Waldron and jump started a golden age of Cuse hoops. Gene, btw, happened to adjust to a position change that enabled him to set a Dome record for points in a game by a Syracuse player that I believe still stands today.

Kaleb is gonna be alright, but we still need Battle.

This kid is better coming out of high school than any guard we have recruited in the past 20 years. Including Flynn, MCW & Waiters - who were all lottery picks.

Not to create unrealistic expectations, of course.

Not to continue to hijack the thread, but I saw nothing from Kaleb that was not fixable with natural development. In fact I saw pretty significant strides through the non-conference schedule culminating with a strong game against Nova. He cut way back on unforced turnovers and began to attack with aggression. Unfortunately that seemed to be the peak and there was very little improvement from that point forward. With a productive summer I expect a physically more mature player who hopefully develops some confidence to be at least a positive presence on the floor next year.

That being said, Battle is by all accounts a transcendent talent and matchup nightmare who would elevate his team to another level. This would not be unlike Pearl's freshman year where he came in and replaced a 2 year starter at point in Gene Waldron and jump started a golden age of Cuse hoops. Gene, btw, happened to adjust to a position change that enabled him to set a Dome record for points in a game by a Syracuse player that I believe still stands today.

Great post. One thing you saw with duke and in our past success was having 2/3 legit playmakers with the ball in their hands. Given battles size and who we will have that year (hypothetically), you could have a hellacious backcourt with an experienced joseph plus battle, mrich and howard. Add the skill sets of moyer and lydon and that is some serious potential firepower if things play out. Tons of balance there.

Adam Zagoria tweeted that PG Derryck Thronton is "50-50" on reclassifying into 2015, and is considering either Duke or L'ville. If he commits to L'ville, look for Duke to make a push...they don't have a PG.

Adam Zagoria tweeted that PG Derryck Thronton is "50-50" on reclassifying into 2015, and is considering either Duke or L'ville. If he commits to L'ville, look for Duke to make a push...they don't have a PG.

If Duke gets Thornton it might even help our cause.

Waldron could fill it up.

Does anyone find it bizarre that Battles father has Donna Ditota on speed dial for whenever his caller id comes up the melo center? That is concerning to me.

How is that concerning or a bad thing ?

Seriously people !!!

Twitter indicates Tyus is on his official to Duke this weekend...

Twitter indicates Tyus is on his official to Duke this weekend...

Does he have two visits this weekend? Duke then Lville? Perhaps I'm wrong. Meanwhile we have offered Kobi Simmons in case anyone following this thread doesn't know that.

Does he have two visits this weekend? Duke then Lville? Perhaps I'm wrong. Meanwhile we have offered Kobi Simmons in case anyone following this thread doesn't know that.
you are correct, good sir. He has both officials this weekend. Things should become more clear shortly.

you are correct, good sir. He has both officials this weekend. Things should become more clear shortly.

Agreed. If he gets through those with no verbal and schedules a Cuse visit then we are likely sitting pretty. Of course Simmons could pop for SU and change things again.

jordoo said:
Agreed. If he gets through those with no verbal and schedules a Cuse visit then we are likely sitting pretty. Of course Simmons could pop for SU and change things again.
I haven't followed KS as much as TB but are their games/styles almost identical? Appeared that way

I haven't followed KS as much as TB but are their games/styles almost identical? Appeared that way

Stylistically yes except Simmons has always been a PG while Battle is more of a scoring guard who can play PG. But both are dribble oriented players who can create their own shots whenever they want. Battle is probably a better jump shooter while Simmons is better at using his skills to create for others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom