Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

We are guard U at this point. We've put several straight guards through the first round, many lottery picks, and to the NBA.

Flynn, Waiters, MCW, Ennis and imo Joseph in 1 or 2 years (maybe not first round but he'll be good).

Battle comes here, he's looking at his best shot at being a lottery pick imo.

We are guard U at this point. We've put several straight guards through the first round, many lottery picks, and to the NBA.

Flynn, Waiters, MCW, Ennis and imo Joseph in 1 or 2 years (maybe not first round but he'll be good).

Battle could go anywhere and be a lottery pick. As could a vast majority of lottery pick 1 and done kids.

I am not sure their orientation has any bearing on anything.

Let me be remembered as the one who suggested that popcorn emoticon...and got it. I closed the proper *** on bringing it here. Maybe Boeheim should let me assist GMac and Autry on how to be proper closers like in Glengarry Glen Ross. :)
Best emoticon ever! It makes me :vomit: thinking of any other.
;):)

Best emoticon ever! It makes me :vomit: thinking of any other.
;):)

Id like to be remembered for my good contributions rather than mistakes. I try to take that approach with players, recruits, other players, posters, and even those who mean me ill. Life is too short for all other.

The "Battle front" is looking confused at this point

Positive:
His father has always been very complimentary of Syracuse saying that we have shown him the most love
He had also held at least a slim chance Tyus could commit after one of these visits (Duke/UL) - sort of the impulse buy - but that did not happen. Great news.

Negative or Confusing
Syracuse has suddenly gotten very interested in two other 2016 guards. I think it is good to cover bases, but it seems an abrupt change to the strategy.
Do we think Tyus' interest is waning and/or will he interpret that our interest is waning from these recent moves?

Luckily, even the new "backup plan" guys are elite level players and not 3 star project types so I am happy with the approach being taken. Further, it appears JB himself is doing the recruiting which is also somewhat rare these days if I understand things, so that is also a big positive.

Duke just got a big re-class which could also be a bad sign on the battle front.

Duke just got a big re-class which could also be a bad sign on the battle front.

For me, now that we have more irons in the fire, if Battle were to decide to go elsewhere it wont hurt nearly as much and I wont be salty because he and his father have treated us very fairly. They could have kicked us while we were down and said "we wont consider Syracuse because they are a program in turmoil" or whatever. They have publicly supported us during a difficult time. I hope Battle is wearing orange someday, but if not, then I say go with god young man.

To me its still a matter of getting Battle in for an official visit. He really likes SU and the staff. He's been to SU a few times so if he wants to come the official visit IMO would be more or less a formality to verbally committing. I think he has one more visit scheduled @ Mich in early May and he added UK but I'm unaware of a visit scheduled. I'm hoping to get him in right after the Mich visit or heck maybe even this weekend. ;)

Thornton to Duke is the best thing that could have happened for us, regardless of the friendship. Duke has their PG now and he wasn't one we were recruiting.

But if he ends up being a one and done (like some predict, not all) then Battle is still in play for Duke next year. Thornton reclassified to 2015.

Battle didn't commit this weekend, this is good news. It was said that if he felt strongly about a school on his visit he'd commit, it didn't happen. I know some of us wet ourselves when we hear the name Duke. But Duke won't guarantee him the pg spot and we will and he knows Jimmy likes tall pg's.

But if he ends up being a one and done (like some predict, not all) then Battle is still in play for Duke next year. Thornton reclassified to 2015.

My thinking was along these lines. Thornton going to Duke and being a 2016 recruit would pretty much lock Battle out. Now with his friend in his ear about how great Duke is and how a spot will be open for him after he goes pro could get Battle to change his mind. I don't think re-classing was a good thing at all for the Orange

Yeah, but no one will know if Thornton is a one-and-done for close to a year. Does Battle really want to wait to see? He might want to make a decision sooner rather than later. If that's the case, then Thornton reclassifying is good news. I'm obviously hoping for the latter. This might also be good news on the Murray front, if that option were to come into play.

Boeheim to Battle, "Commit or we offer Murray."

LOL. I do think it will be an interesting conversation with the offers to Simmons & Gilbert and the interest in Murray. Its hard to read though because this could be excellent news as in the Battle'c contacted SU and wanted to talk. It could also be JB wanting to stop in and visit on his way back from GA to remind them that Tyus is still SU's #1 choice. Still you have to feel its at least somewhat good news for SU with the timing. Battle has officials to Duke and Lville while JB is calling Murray, offering Simmons & Gilbert plus visiting them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom