Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 93 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

Ok Jordoo... now it's only a matter of time before you are asked..."What are the obvious reasons". LOL ya gotta spell it out with out any equivocation whatsoever.

For Mich, for SU, for Tyus and for his Family it looks much better all the way around. Not that anyone did anything wrong but after one on the spot decision that was resinded it make sense to show that time has been taken on the next one.

This thread has reached the "Dion Nut Scratching Thread" in terms of fan paranoia.

Years ago one of our more observant posters noted that during stoppages of play, Dion Waiters would scratch himself with his right hand.

Only this one time, Dion scratched with his left hand, and there was an instant board meltdown.

"What's wrong with Dion's right arm?"

"Is Dion injured?"

"No wonder Dion missed 2 straight shots. Get him outta there."

"What's Boeheim doing playing Dion in a meaningless game if he's hurt. We need to get Dion healthy for conference games."

"OMG, Dion needs surgery and the whole season's lost."

Im sorry i missed that one. The lesson learned is dion is an ambidextrous nut scratcher.

What if he's THIS indecisive in front of the huge crowds in the Carrier Dome?

Easy to be indecisive in front of those big crowds, couldn't fault him for that. In fact, it happens to me all the time at games. Two Dome Dogs, or just one and some nachos? Which Saranac brew will wash it all down, and how many will it take? Big games are tough. But if I can make those types of complex decisions in pressure situations at the Carrier Dome, I'm sure Tyus will be able to handle it as well.

I agree .. the problem is, from the outside, we have no idea of what's actually happening on the ground. I still find the Bryant radio silence troubling/baffling. But you never know what went down -- he could have told SU that he wanted an out-of-town school and they pulled back. That's not the impression I got from the PS article. But I'll give the staff the benefit of the doubt.

On the other hand, Bryant could have waited. If his impression was that SU's NCAA situation was chaotic (no doubt), it wouldn't have hurt to wait a month to gain some clarity; or he always had the option to call the staff to discuss the situation. The fact that he chose not to do either indicates that he may have been bound for a distant program regardless.

At the end of the day, communication is key in the recruiting process. Hopefully, there's no disconnect with Tyus Battle and the process can be smoother and less impulsive than his first commitment.

Two things with Bryant:

1. He is a kid from Rochester. Rochester is an SU town. I wonder if some of what he is saying is intended to deflect vitriol directed at him for not picking the home town team?

2. I have to think that the uncertainty regarding the sanctions, their impact and how many rosters spots we would have available had to impact the quality of the staff's contact with him to a certain degree.

Last edited:
I've been courted by another company for about a month now. They interviewed me on the phone, brought me in, and then brought me in for a second time yesterday.

I told my boss it would be difficult to leave because my benefits are great and I just got a significant pay bump. I've gone back and forth for three weeks deciding what I was going to do, as the new company offered me a higher salary, but worse benefits.

I made my final decision to say no to the other offer yesterday, when in fact I knew about a month ago I probably wouldn't leave.

The moral of the story is while I knew I probably would stay in my current position I listened to the other offer because it was important to make sure I was looking at all the positives and negatives of the decision.

Life changing decisions aren't easy to make no matter how you look at them. I'm sure the company was upset I told them no, and they probably thought I somewhat lead them on, but decisions like this are solely up to the persons life it most effects and Battle should take all the time he needs to make the right decision for him, not for anyone else.
I completely agree with you...

as long as he chooses Cuse;)

This thread has reached the "Dion Nut Scratching Thread" in terms of fan paranoia.

Years ago one of our more observant posters noted that during stoppages of play, Dion Waiters would scratch himself with his right hand.

Only this one time, Dion scratched with his left hand, and there was an instant board meltdown.

"What's wrong with Dion's right arm?"

"Is Dion injured?"

"No wonder Dion missed 2 straight shots. Get him outta there."

"What's Boeheim doing playing Dion in a meaningless game if he's hurt. We need to get Dion healthy for conference games."

"OMG, Dion needs surgery and the whole season's lost."

Nobody was worried about why his nuts were so itchy?

Two things with Bryant:

1. He is a kid from Rochester. Rochester is an SU town. I wonder if some of what he is saying is intended to deflect vitriol directed at him for not picking the home town team?

2. I have to think that the uncertainty regarding the sanctions, their impact and how many rosters spots we would have available had to impact the quality of the staff's contact with him to a certain degree.
You could be right ... as I said, it's murky from our position on the bubble (not being privy to the inside details). What I'm going on is what he said:

"I haven't talked to them in a while, to be honest," Bryant said. "I talked, not to Jim (Boeheim), but (to) Mike Hopkins at the Hoophall Classic a couple months ago. That's the last time I talked to them."

"In my way of thinking, (Syracuse) has been there from the start, since I was at Bishop Kearney," he said. "So I'm just taking it slow."

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2015/3/31/8317901/syracuse-basketball-thomas-bryant-recruit
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...use_as_team_in_chaos_according_to_mother.html

To me, this sounds more like disappointment from the recruit (over SU not contacting him) than an apology or excuse to locals for leaving the state. Rochester is a big 'Cuse town, no doubt. But it's not all that unusual for kids to leave the state for college. Secondly, there was some tumult at SU after the report ... although Bryant's commitment would have warranted a delay of the scholarship sanctions until next year (as it is, they wound up with 10 and didn't need to request a postponement).

In any event, this is exactly the kind of discussion our staff could (or should) have had with the recruit if they had kept in proper touch with him -- communication was crucial during the NCAA 'chaos period'. The staff's apparent failure to stay in touch with such a high-profile (and high priority) kid is baffling ... again assuming that my factual assumptions from the article and the recruits statements are correct.

I also think the other SU players were caught up in some chaos themselves .. there were two transfers, the voluntary ban and some turmoil. And I think that affected TB as well -- not feeling love from the other SU players.

In the end .. I understand the young man's decision. But it was a huge recruiting loss for us ... leaving a hole that hasn't been filled and might not for 2 more years.

Last edited:
I haven't read the thread since 30-40 pages ago so maybe this has been thrown out there already ... that Battle is waiting a bit to announce so there isn't a perception that JB is poaching others teams' recruits. I'll check back in another 30 pages or so.

I haven't read the thread since 30-40 pages ago so maybe this has been thrown out there already ... that Battle is waiting a bit to announce so there isn't a perception that JB is poaching others teams' recruits. I'll check back in another 30 pages or so.
Ok, see you then.

You could be right ... as I said, it's murky from our position on the bubble (not being privy to the inside details). What I'm going on is what he said:

"I haven't talked to them in a while, to be honest," Bryant said. "I talked, not to Jim (Boeheim), but (to) Mike Hopkins at the Hoophall Classic a couple months ago. That's the last time I talked to them."

"In my way of thinking, (Syracuse) has been there from the start, since I was at Bishop Kearney," he said. "So I'm just taking it slow."

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2015/3/31/8317901/syracuse-basketball-thomas-bryant-recruit
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...use_as_team_in_chaos_according_to_mother.html

To me, this sounds more like disappointment from the recruit (over SU not contacting him) than an apology or excuse to locals for leaving the state. Rochester is a big 'Cuse town, no doubt. But it's not all that unusual for kids to leave the state for college. Secondly, there was some tumult at SU after the report ... although Bryant's commitment would have warranted a delay of the scholarship sanctions until next year (as it is, they wound up with 10 and didn't need to request a postponement).

In any event, this is exactly the kind of discussion our staff could (or should) have had with the recruit if they had kept in proper touch with him -- communication was crucial during the NCAA 'chaos period'. The staff's apparent failure to stay in touch with such a high-profile (and high priority) kid is baffling ... again assuming that my factual assumptions from the article and the recruits statements are correct.

I also think the other SU players were caught up in some chaos themselves .. there were two transfers, the voluntary ban and some turmoil. And I think that affected TB as well -- not feeling love from the other SU players.

In the end .. I understand the young man's decision. But it was a huge recruiting loss for us ... leaving a hole that hasn't been filled and might not for 2 more years.

There are two sides too a story, so don't act like this was all the Staff's fault. Bryant needs to take a long long in the mirror.

Deano said:
There are two sides too a story, so don't act like this was all the Staff's fault. Bryant needs to take a long long in the mirror.

It's no ones fault. We lost a recruiting battle. He picked the school he felt most comfortable with. No idea how this turned into a referendum on Bryant, that ship left harbor months ago.

Two things with Bryant:

Rochester is not really a SU town. Much more of a Buffalo town (Bills, Sabres) and certainly a hockey town over CBB.

Tyus Watch: Day Ten

Tyus returns to the court... will he be courted by others?

Does Chukwu's commitment take Battle's spot? Maybe we're the ones holding up his commitment, and now he doesn't have a spot? Also, since Chu has to sit out a year, that still takes a scholly off the board for next year, right?

Does Chukwu's commitment take Battle's spot? Maybe we're the ones holding up his commitment, and now he doesn't have a spot? Also, since Chu has to sit out a year, that still takes a scholly off the board for next year, right?
No way will we let that stand in the way of taking Battle. Either we'll win our appeal and get a scholarship back, or someone else will be leaving after this season. My money would be on Coleman hanging it up, honestly, based on his injury history and the fact that he'll already have his degree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom