Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 88 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

Agree, but I don't think that you are properly describing what transpired in the Bryant recruitment. I don't think his situation was comparable to what is being described about Gilbert.

The Bryant situation was definitely unique because of the sanctions but it looked really bad when Bryant said he hadn't heard from the staff. Again, I'm going off what was reported, but we still should've called and let him know why we were cooling off (or had to cool off) from his recruitment.

I'm not a fan of how we've been handling recruiting lately.

It makes no sense not to remain in contact with Gilbert. "I trust the staff," is what we hear. Okay, but that implies that they've received a silent verbal from Battle. That's a stretch at this point. What exactly would be the problem with bringing Battle to Syracuse for his official visit AND remaining in contact with a five star recruit in Gilbert? You could simply tell Gilbert the truth: We've been recruiting Tyus since he was 14 and we owe it to him to continue that relationship.

It strikes me as very unprofessional and lazy to blow off guys like Gilbert and Bryant. In the case of Bryant, the staff should've called him to at least keep him in the loop. Maybe we did but that's not what was reported. I don't think it's a gamble at all. I think it's stupid. Gamble implies risk. The only thing SU Hoops is risking is its reputation. If top recruits think we toss them aside like garbage, how exactly is that helping our perception among elite high school players?

Sorry, "I trust the staff" ain't cutting it for me. Even if we do get Battle, this is very bad form IMO.
Unless my data is dated, Gilbert is 4 star. What are his current ratings across the board for all 4 agencies?

The Bryant situation was definitely unique because of the sanctions but it looked really bad when Bryant said he hadn't heard from the staff. Again, I'm going off what was reported, but we still should've called and let him know why we were cooling off (or had to cool off) from his recruitment.

Iommi, didn't mean to call you out in that last post. Short version: Bryant wasn't that interested in SU, and informed the staff that he wasn't interested because we didn't put bigs in the pros. The coaching staff worked hard to change that opinion, but Bryant was stubborn and didn't want to hear it.

Despite that, his Mom loved SU, and actively was working behind the scenes to convince him to come to SU. The coaching staff wanted Bryant, and recognized that Mom was the only way they might be able to swing the pendulum Orange, so they focused all of their efforts there.

So it wasn't so much that they stopped recruiting Bryant / dropped the ball by not keeping in contact--they were actively in contact the whole time, just with his mom.

Short version: Bryant wasn't that interested in SU, and informed the staff that he wasn't interested because we didn't put bigs in the pros.

The Mom loved SU, and actively was working behind the scenes to convince him to come to SU. The coaching staff wanted Bryant, and recognized that Mom was the only way they might be able to change his opinion, so they focused their efforts there.

So it wasn't so much that they stopped recruiting Bryant / dropped the ball by not keeping in contact--they were actively in contact the whole time, just with his mom.
If Bryant didn't like us because we don't put bigs in the pros he is a moron for going to IU. I would hate that excuse if that is why I didn't have a problem with him not choosing us but Noah Vonleh, Cody Zeller and DJ White are the only IU bigs in the NBA and none of them have done anything yet. Eric Gordon and Victor Oladipo have been good guards, but IU bigs have sucked in Charlotte thus far and Tom Crean is such a douchnozzle. It is disappointing if we lost him because of the NBA-big theory.

sutomcat said:
Don't mean to single you out Hulk, this is not addressed to just you. People, this thread is developing into an ugly mess. I think everyone realizes how important Tyus is to the program, and we would all like to know more about what is going on and when a decision will be made. No one knows. I don't think the Battle family even knows. Please chill out a little, and let's start treating each other with courtesy and respect. We are all bound together as brothers and sisters by our love for Syracuse basketball. Let's act like it.
Truth, Thank you!

Iommi, didn't mean to call you out in that last post. Short version: Bryant wasn't that interested in SU, and informed the staff that he wasn't interested because we didn't put bigs in the pros. The coaching staff worked hard to change that opinion, but Bryant was stubborn and didn't want to hear it.

Despite that, his Mom loved SU, and actively was working behind the scenes to convince him to come to SU. The coaching staff wanted Bryant, and recognized that Mom was the only way they might be able to swing the pendulum Orange, so they focused all of their efforts there.

Good post. I didn't take your response as a call out. I knew that Bryant wanted to go away from home but I hadn't seen it reported that TB thought we didn't put bigs in the pros. Good info. Thanks. Now it makes more sense why we were only talking to his mom.

Even still, seemingly losing contact with Gilbert is bad form, no matter what the status is with Battle.

By next Monday, I would take Gilbert in a second if I could. I don't want to be left without a chair when the music stops.

I like Gilbert and I like Huerter even more, but I think we are hurting our standing with Gilbert if we are making him feel unwanted. That's why I am frustrated.

Last edited:
Good post. I didn't take your response as a call out. I knew that Bryant wanted to go away from home but I hadn't seen it reported that TB thought we didn't put bigs in the pros. Good info. Thanks. Now it makes more sense why we were only talking to his mom.

Even still, seemingly losing contact with Gilbert is bad form, no matter what the status is with Battle.

Agree.. But where are the IU Bigs? ET was better than the entire crop. We should have had TB

I like Gilbert and I think I like Huerter even more, but I have to think we are hurting our standing with Gilbert if we are making him feel unwanted. That's why I am frustrated.
and perhaps the staff have received assurance from Huerter and he is the sure-thing backup plan whom they actually rate higher than Gilbert?

Have we ever got a a guy who claimed Syracuse was his "Dream school?" Jonny Flynn maybe?

docsu said:
Have we ever got a a guy who claimed Syracuse was his "Dream school?" Jonny Flynn maybe?
I assume for most kids that come here we are their dream school

I assume for most kids that come here we are their dream school

I mean the ones who publicly admit that "Syracuse is my dream school." How many of them end up here? I feel like it's not many, but maybe that's recall bias.

I don't like when people attack or question Coach B and the staff. They know whats going on, and what they r doing.

Coach B has been around for a few of these in his day.
Then maybe you shouldn't be on an internet message board. Which may in fact happen if you don't lighten up a bit.

So he picks Indiana? I mean, if he wants to get upset that we don't put non-5-star centers in the League, fine, he's allowed to have that stupid opinion. But what would lead him to pick Indiana? All those Hoosier centers ripping it up in the NBA?

So he picks Indiana? I mean, if he wants to get upset that we don't put non-5-star centers in the League, fine, he's allowed to have that stupid opinion. But what would lead him to pick Indiana? All those Hoosier centers ripping it up in the NBA?
aka Noah Vonleh and Cody Zeller...one got traded yesterday and the other is on the block. Agreed, I don't understand the appeal of Indiana and when his family talked about the problems at Cuse...Indiana isn't squeaky clean either. Numerous players dismissed in the past few seasons and we know Crean still can't figure out a zone defense.

I like Gilbert and I like Huerter even more, but I think we are hurting our standing with Gilbert if we are making him feel unwanted. That's why I am frustrated.

I agree and I don't really understand it. My only hope is, as some posters have mentioned, we have an under the table assurance that we like more (i.e. Huerter or Battle). Even so, I feel like we should keep contact just to be safe and professional.

Unless my data is dated, Gilbert is 4 star. What are his current ratings across the board for all 4 agencies?
ESPN updated their top 100 recently, with Gilbert being #23 overall and Battle being #27

I agree and I don't really understand it. My only hope is, as some posters have mentioned, we have an under the table assurance that we like more (i.e. Huerter or Battle). Even so, I feel like we should keep contact just to be safe and professional.

Michigan is involved with Huerter as well. They are trying to get him on campus for a visit.

https://indiana./barrier_noentry.asp?sid=942&script=/content.asp&cid=1774361

Its so bad I assume any kid who says that is not coming to SU. However, I think JB passed on a couple of dream schoolers due to potential issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom