Philosophical Question... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Philosophical Question...

I'll preface my thought by saying that I think you and the other admins do an excellent job making this place the gold standard for SU basketball discussion on the internet.

I think cuse4ever's post was absolutely harmless. The first word of his post was "if", he was merely posing a hypothetical. But because it's a hypothetical that we're all extremely afraid of, many had a negatively visceral reaction to it. Plus he's an easy target because he's a new poster.

Boeheim is a legend and icon in every sense of the word, but, if the penalties we face are severe, he deserves to be scrutinized heavily like any leader of an organization (be it a country, corporation, or basketball team) should. If the penalties are minimal/negligible, then we will go back to idolizing him like before like business as usual.

This.

There are a few here that are overly negative and pessimistic, but those folks are more than equaled out by the Jim Boeheim can do no wrong crowd. Let's see how this plays out and keep the banning to a minimum.

Of course cto and the other mods could end all the rumor mongering by giving us the real skinny that we all know they know but are keeping from us...;)

I'm okay with whatever you decide. But I agree in that I would encourage people to try to limit repetitive threads. Basically, try to keep everything about the NCAA issue in one thread instead of everyone starting their own. But I've gotten pretty good at not reading the things I'm not interested. - e.g. any NBA threads, any more about the football uniforms.

I think the issue is that most people who visit this site are probably just looking for the news updates (especially in the offseason). Unfortunately, it's been impossible to even find the small tidbits due to the ridiculous discussions and clutter on the board the past week or two.

While some of the threads and posts in recent days have been less than stellar, the board has retained its basic decency. It's really not hard to sift through the noise and avoid the toxic threads. And even if you stumble into the cesspool by accident, you can learn an awful lot about some of your fellow posters for future reference.

While some of the threads and posts in recent days have been less than stellar, the board has retained its basic decency. It's really not hard to sift through the noise and avoid the toxic threads. And even if you stumble into the cesspool by accident, you can learn an awful lot about some of your fellow posters for future reference.

Your last sentence is a very good point!

Been on forum for few years as a reader but seldom post. Over all the moderators here do an excellent job keeping the discussions within the lines. Agree with many others that the uncertainty of the NCAA hearings - and the 30-60 day wait- have us all antsy. Just looking forward to the season kickoff.

I think that when someone like cuse4ever shows up out of nowhere and drags down the quality of the forum, they should be warned to dial it down and then given a short ban if they don't comply. After that, nuke them and their ip address. I also don't disagree with the idea of another private forum at some point. That's just one man's opinion. Ultimately, this is a privately-ownded forum generously operated by you and all the other admins. You guys have every right to shape it as you see fit. I fully appreciate you throwing this out there for discussion, though.

How bout we tack a post to the top of the board titled "Welcome Orange fans and visitors to our family". Then in the post it can read something like this:

Welcome to the Syracusefan.com board, a place where we come together and discuss all things Orange. We are a family here, and just like families do, we have our fair share of squabbles, as well as times the board may seem overly positive or overly negative about the team, players, or circumstances surrounding our teams. So as you read through these posts please keep in mind that the moderators of this forum have the utmost respect for both freedom of speech and freedom of expression, and he great majority of what is posted here is strictly matters of opinion with no factual basis. And just like we do with our natural born family members, we simply do not delete posts because they may seem a bit over the top at times. So we welcome you to our forum. Enjoy your stay here, get to know us, and become part of our family. We welcome you with open arms.

I think that when someone like cuse4ever shows up out of nowhere and drags down the quality of the forum, they should be warned to dial it down and then given a short ban if they don't comply. After that, nuke them and their ip address. I also don't disagree with the idea of another private forum at some point. That's just one man's opinion. Ultimately, this is a privately-ownded forum generously operated by you and all the other admins. You guys have every right to shape it as you see fit. I fully appreciate you throwing this out there for discussion, though.
What he said^

Discussion is one thing.

Right now it's all mindless speculation and rumor mongering.

The meeting is set for Oct 30-31.

It could take anywhere from 30-60 days after that until the NCAA releases its' findings.

So, what are we going to talk about until then? Uniforms? The 2-3 Zone?

I get that. But this is a fan message board after all so mindless speculation and rumor mongering should be expected to a certain degree. Unless the line of civility is crossed, why would we want to censor the discussion (rumors and all)?

That's just the problem. There were personal attacks. Brain frozen because they live in Alaska?

Ahh I didnt take that personally. He was correct that my brain is frozen, just for the wrong reason lol.

I kind of feel bad for cuse4ever. Even though I thought his question was stupid, we laid into him pretty good.

I also think we need to get out of this "Oh this dudes only been here 2 months" deal. We might end up scaring off some good posters, because we have this high and mighty attitude. There are posters that joined 2 days ago, that have already brought more to the table then I have lol.

As for the mods and admin, you guys do a heck of a job. Beers on me next time I see ya.

you lost 97% of the hoop board at 'Philosophical".

if i have to end my football season early to come over here and smack people around for a bit, ill do it. but i wont be happy about it.

just say the word cto...

Ahh I didnt take that personally. He was correct that my brain is frozen, just for the wrong reason lol.

I kind of feel bad for cuse4ever. Even though I thought his question was stupid, we laid into him pretty good.

I also think we need to get out of this "Oh this dudes only been here 2 months" deal. We might end up scaring off some good posters, because we have this high and mighty attitude. There are posters that joined 2 days ago, that have already brought more to the table then I have lol.

As for the mods and admin, you guys do a heck of a job. Beers on me next time I see ya.
Good stuff, Troop. You're right. We did lay into him a bit.

I think you let it go until the poster starts sounding like a broken record.

My rule of thumb would be, anytime you want to hit the ignore button on a poster on a particular topic, you hit the kill switch.

One issue is that regardless if its repetitive, so many people will start their own thread to insure their specific venting about the same subject gets attention, so it sure clutters up the board. I would like to see a single thread for the "before" the infractions meeting thread, one for "after the infractions" meeting thread, then one for the after the "decision" thread etc. We really should minimize the multiple threads on the same subject.

Many good comments on here that I agree with. I think with the season/preseason starting this weekend the separate area dealing with this topic is a good idea.

I also think that with a new poster who is tending to be a little more critical and a little aggressive towards others, that the warning is a good idea. I did think that poster was dancing close to a line there, but maybe not crossing it yet.

The biggest thing about all of this is we are on here because we have an "above normal" interest in Syracuse sports of one type or another. The every day fan does not go on a forum. We are a little more passionate and therefore a little more worried about things than other fans. So this discussion about possible sanctions while it has absolutely no merit what so ever, is just a way to keep our worried minds occupied while we wait to see what happens. There actually has been some interesting, factual and historical data on here about teams and losing scholarships. So I have learned some information that helps me to understand what may happen.

Personally I hope that our representatives at this hearing are able to quell many of the things that will come up. And all of this will amount to a lot of nothing.
Bottom line is that it will be what it will be. I don't think we did anything so egregious compared to the other college sports programs in this country. We just had the misfortune of being under the microscope.

How bout we tack a post to the top of the board titled "Welcome Orange fans and visitors to our family". Then in the post it can read something like this:

Welcome to the Syracusefan.com board, a place where we come together and discuss all things Orange. We are a family here, and just like families do, we have our fair share of squabbles, as well as times the board may seem overly positive or overly negative about the team, players, or circumstances surrounding our teams. So as you read through these posts please keep in mind that the moderators of this forum have the utmost respect for both freedom of speech and freedom of expression, and he great majority of what is posted here is strictly matters of opinion with no factual basis. And just like we do with our natural born family members, we simply do not delete posts because they may seem a bit over the top at times. So we welcome you to our forum. Enjoy your stay here, get to know us, and become part of our family. We welcome you with open arms.
WOW.

Wouldn't it be awesome if when we were born we were all given the message: "You have temporarily become part of the human species. We love you and honor your awesomeness. Never forget that you are immortal. Welcome to earth!"

What a wonderful world it would be...

Okay, back to basketball forums.

Admins here have a real problem... trying to balance these forums... between a place with free-form discussion that can turn into the sewer that is syracuse.com... or a place with pro-active moderating.

During the past few days.. we've had several threads assuming the worst abut the NCAA investigation, and postulating the worst, with a lot of piling on, regarding Jim Boeheim and possible sanctions/scenarios.

We also have repetitive negative posts by certain posters... including, most notably, cuse4ever... who has no history here and who has come out of nowhere to be the leading proponent of what he considers the end of the world. .

We have let folks vent... and let the discussion go on. I think we have deleted all of two posts (out of several thousand) because they overstepped the bounds of decency.

The result has been a forum that says SU basketball is nothing but atrocious penalties waiting to befall us. It sure must look cheerful to SU fans looking for a sane SU forum, to prospective recruits, to parents of recruits, to the folks from NCAA, etc.

All we know is that the NCAA is looking at stuff. We are not quite sure at what they are looking... and we are not quite sure what the they are considering. Posters here, however, are postulating everything up to. and including, the death penalty.

So what should the Admins do? Should we just allow these repetitive, sometimes off-the-wall, discussions to continue? Should we try to contain the the repetitive nature of some posters? Should we just say... enough is enough.. let's wait and see what the NCAA does?

We saw the same thing a few years ago... during the Bernie Fine mess. People were calling for Jim Boeheim's head... and predicting the end of the earth. The outcome, of course, was that the FBI, the Secret Service, and no one else... could find any reason to bring any charges. Back then, most people assumed the worst... and weren't willing to wait until how things turned out. Just saying.

Every major program's Internet fan message board would be as bad or worse. We aren't in season and there is little else to discuss.

Personal attacks should be a no no, fold repetitive threads into a single thread and lock them if they get into a tit-for-tat.

Cuse4Ever started a hot button topic because tons of people on this board hold JB in such high esteem. I don't think there is anything wrong with taking a minority view. I think he poorly constructed his concerns and I think he went overboard a bit in defending his position, but it's the Internet.

I have a much bigger issue when there is leniency when it comes to serious topics like sexual assault or other criminal behavior.

To me, this is just a natural exploration of a topic that manifested itself into a thread that is contentious.

Just my 0.02.

Good points.

The two most disturbing behaviors on the board are the group attacks on a) new (or opponent) posters and b) people remotely critical of Boeheim.

It's a nice place to share ideas. It's not hard to correct crazy ideas in a civil way (and it doesn't involve pointing out how recently someone registered here). Best to welcome new posters and allow them to say their piece (without indulging craziness or rudeness).

Discussion is one thing.

Right now it's all mindless speculation and rumor mongering.

The meeting is set for Oct 30-31.

It could take anywhere from 30-60 days after that until the NCAA releases its' findings.

So, what are we going to talk about until then? Uniforms? The 2-3 Zone?
Uniforms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom