Philosophical Question... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Philosophical Question...

This board is very good at self policing. Myself, I simply don't read threads that get nuts or overly repetitive (except about uniforms). I also use the ignore button so that I won't be dragged into some silly back and forth that shreds no light on the topic.

Freezing threads is probably far better than deleting them. Other than that, use your judgment as it has worked fine so far.

Good points.

The two most disturbing behaviors on the board are the group attacks on a) new posters and b) people remotely critical of Boeheim.

Have you noticed that both groups are one and the same.

There's always an influx of "new posters" right after a loss. Especially in March.

Have you noticed that both groups are one and the same.

There's always an influx of "new posters" right after a loss. Especially in March.

Sometimes, but I do try hard to ignore things like post counts, date of registration, and even poster name. (It's so easy to pre-judge the content based on those things; I'm guilty of doing that and I'd rather not.)

He said "if" before his statement… I see no issue, it's a hypothetical. What else is there to talk about now, the season hasn't started yet.

Without question our admins do an excellent job. With many of the posters we occasionally get upset with, it's the old story of not what the idea was but how it was stated. cuse4ever had a legitimate topic but chose to express himself in a rather acidic tone. This touches off some (me included) who wish that he could choose his words better.
All in all, the posts here have good commentary even those that get hijacked.
Keep up the good work admins, the vast majority of us are behind you.

This is a message board, therefore:
  1. Posters are going to criticize the coaches and players - I think it is only a problem when these critiques turn personal.
  2. Posters are going to speculate - I think it is only a problem when they falsely claim they are basing it on reliable sources.
  3. Posters are going to disagree with other posters - I think it is only a problem when the disagreements become disrespectful.
I also don't think just because someone is a new poster they should have to post any differently than those who have been there. If they are doing the three things listed above without moving to the problem side of things, I'm fine with it.

I am mixed about the censorship. After my account has been suspended 4 or 5 times I'm kind of sick of it.

Sometimes the criticisms made over on Syracuse.com have shreds of merit. If a topic becomes boring it eventually drops from the list. I just ignore topics I am not interested in.

I think the admins can be overbearing and hypocritical at times. One time my account was suspended and week later the admin said something that was even more indecent than the post that got me banned. Syracusefan.com is just okay for me at this point.

I am mixed about the censorship. After my account has been suspended 4 or 5 times I'm kind of sick of it.

Sometimes the criticisms made over on Syracuse.com have shreds of merit. If a topic becomes boring it eventually drops from the list. I just ignore topics I am not interested in.

I think the admins can be overbearing and hypocritical at times. One time my account was suspended and week later the admin said something that was even more indecent than the post that got me banned. Syracusefan.com is just okay for me at this point.

Ha, I remember that! Wasnt it just a title that was ambiguous though? About a movie I watched around that time being it was supposed to be in Syracuse?

i would say the content of the board has been mostly in line. a couple of things that may be redundant but sum up my thoughts.

1. New posters are forced to walk on very thin ice here. There are long time posters who are much worse at stirring the pot, and even being rude to other posters. We should look more to the comments and less at who is making them

2. This debate comes up one every three months. Kudos to you and the mods for caring what people think regarding your actions, but reality is the line needs to be determined by you.

3. A lot of problems can be solved through consolidation of threads. A better way to put this, is people need to check their ego at the door and stop positioning themselves for attention. One way to address this could be eliminated "likes".

4. Somewhat related to point 1. Just remain fair in your bans/thread locks/deletions. We don't see everything that happens behind the scenes. But there are a few beloved long time posters who are given very long ropes when it comes to badgering other posters.

5. Stupidity is not something you can censor. Sometimes we have to realize that although some people say things that solicit reactions it may not be trolling or negativity, they just may not see things through a clear lens. As long as those views are not attacking or inflammatory the frequent user should be able to push by.

Last edited:
Admins can run the board how they want. (I'm easy like Sunday morning)
I appreciate all the work...like the chats w/Stephen Bailey that CTO sets up on the Football Board.

IMO the board is fine how it is monitored.I admit I was banned once. It was something I said about Wisconsin bball during March Madness. I was drunk and don't really remember exactly what I said. Since then I haven't mentioned Wisconsin since! ;)

The only board that does get my dander up at times is the Off Topic Board. I tend to be in the minority over there. I read it to see what people say/think that have a different mindset than mine. (I can't help it if they are wrong.) ;)

Okay now back to thinking about the upcoming NC State game. L.G.O!

Last edited:
Burn it down. Burn the whole g*damned thing down.

11559__gerald_l.jpg

I think your last paragraph (and last couple of sentences) pretty much sums up the situation CTO.

We saw the same thing a few years ago... during the Bernie Fine mess. People were calling for Jim Boeheim's head... and predicting the end of the earth. The outcome, of course, was that the FBI, the Secret Service, and no one else... could find any reason to bring any charges. Back then, most people assumed the worst... and weren't willing to wait until how things turned out. Just saying.

Obviously in an open forum you're going to get a wide range of opinions from a wide range of perspectives. I think the preponderance of pessimism is likely due to the continuous and ongoing reviews and investigations, by the NCAA, over the past few years. Eventually something would be found and the NCAA won't waste years of work, they want their prize. So, many fans are naturally bracing for the worst possible scenario. In my opinion all the admins and moderators have done a tremendous job and have appropriately shown great restraint. I don't think it would be right to invalidate any single poster or group of posts, provided they remain within the terms and rules of this forum, just because they're unsavory.

I personally have transitioned from "the sky is falling" to "not a care in the world" and back, hitting all points in-between, many times over the past couple of weeks. Sometimes my opinion is swayed by the last article I've read and sometimes I remain steadfast in my belief of what I feel the resolution will ultimately be. If I posted every time my own mind changed I'd be ridiculed, possibly banned, praised and applauded, and ignored at different times. So, I've kept my mouth shut and my fingers crossed. No reason, however, to expect others to "lurk" as I've done recently. In fact, this forum doesn't exist without comments, positive and negative.

This will come to a conclusion soon enough. And, regardless of the penalties and sanctions delivered, the true Orange fans will remain to debate, support and enjoy our teams. I say let all opinions be heard and let's serve up some crow to the deserving parties when this is all over.

Last edited:
I think you should have shut down the Hoops Board in mid April, 2003.

This is an open forum and unless someone is way out of line they should be allowed to voice their opinion. Post are easy to ignore. Filters and sanctions never work as they are always biased. For the most part the MODs here are fair although one in particular has a habit of banning those that IT doesnt agree with but i will keep that for another post.

I personally think that the board is just fine. Some people are over the top in general. I think speculation of what is going to happen only gets the nervous nellie posters amped up but this is supposed to be a place to voice excitement, concern, and any other emotions that come with being a fan.

I'm sure it can be tough to designate as a mod what is over the top at times. I would also as it has been stated numerous times previously that I appreciate all the work the mods do. That being said I hope that there isn't to much in the way of deleting too many posts.

Im ready for the football team to make a run at a bowl game and for bball to surprise the ACC again and show them that regardless of another freshman point guard that we will be shooting for the top of the heap again!

Just win baby!

I understand not tearing up players currently active at SU, I see constructive criticism but these are kids - tearing them down accomplishes nothing.

BUT, with the upcoming hearing we are going to get some news about former players like Fab and I have a feeling that is going to generate some serious animosity and harsh comments. Former players are a different situation, though, as they're typically in some form of professional league. They're adults, they can handle it. Fire away.

I understand not tearing up players currently active at SU, I see constructive criticism but these are kids - tearing them down accomplishes nothing.

BUT, with the upcoming hearing we are going to get some news about former players like Fab and I have a feeling that is going to generate some serious animosity and harsh comments. Former players are a different situation, though, as they're typically in some form of professional league. They're adults, they can handle it. Fire away.
Not much more can be said about Fab that hasn't already been said on this board. If he is a big reason 'Cuse gets punished it will wipe out 100% of anything he brought to the program.

There is no middle ground here. If you are going to crack down on the neagativity brought forth by cusefan4ever then you need to do the same with the clearly in jest yet extremely passive aggressive comment by kaiser in this thread. Quite honestly i think too much stock falls in reputation. Have a zero tolerance for bullying of posters and allow people to express their opinion. I have stayed away for the very fact that many responses to opinions cross the line on a personal level and border insulting someones intellect. Some of that is driven by perceived reputation or likes etc. So either let it go and moderate content that is offensive or rumor spamming or lock it down tight. Staying in the middle will re generate such a thread once every few months as it always has.

Not much more can be said about Fab that hasn't already been said on this board. If he is a big reason 'Cuse gets punished it will wipe out 100% of anything he brought to the program.
actually, there is quite a bit more that could be said. if it is a fair hearing and all the details come out, don't be surprised if you find yourself quite a bit more compassionate about Fab's situation

EDIT: Without going into detail, I'll just say I don't know anything first hand, but from what I've been told, Fab is not entirely to blame for his scholastic record - he found himself in a bad situation not of his own making

I will add on that i think with the community now being so large the moderator to poster ratio is out of whack. It places far too much work on a group that does a good job. The community is active on all boards and you need more people to help. I am on several academic boards with a smaller community and more "staff". Having folks who moderate each sub community can help with the differences in the community as well. At the end of the day sometimes a community is just too big to moderate and needs to be more segmented or needs more help.

I also think we need to get out of this "Oh this dudes only been here 2 months" deal. We might end up scaring off some good posters, because we have this high and mighty attitude. There are posters that joined 2 days ago, that have already brought more to the table then I have lol.

I agree with my esteemed drunken colleague from the north on this. I'm all for being elitist (I did vote for Obama twice, after all - there, I saved all of our conservative friends the trouble of zinging me by doing it for them), and I'm sure many people who know me have referred to me as such on numerous occasions, but when it comes to a message board like this - we were all new at some point. Don't judge a person by the quantity of his or her posts, but by the quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom