Players Returning Next Year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Players Returning Next Year

Duke's talent next year is on a different level. There's still guys we want to keep who are going to leave, so let's see how things shake out. A high performing Donnie and returning Maliq is a good start.
For sure. They have like an entire starting lineup of Donnie level or better coming in. I do think though as fans we really should be rooting for retaining as much of our current roster as possible. Duke has the talent advantage, but Syracuse can have the experience advantage against Duke. I think with a ton of the players we currently have on the roster, the talent advantage is not as wide as it has been in recent years. Syracuse won 20 games this year with underclassmen in a year where it seemed like everyone had super seniors playing key roles. It was the teams moxie that led to them finishing in the top half of the ACC. If they can keep this moxie into next season with the roster improvements (including bringing in another defense/rebound first center) we already know about and the expected turnover in other programs that we were already competitive with this year. On paper, things look really good for next year.

Really interesting that we're now entering what is the new annual tradition of articles announcing a player's return or departure.
I hate it - call me old school but it shouldn't be news for someone to honor their commitment.

Although in this instance don't get it confused, I'm ecstatic that Maliq is coming back. He's an awesome, selfless guy and excited to see what his growth when he's not forced to play out of position with no real backup.

Our best will be freeman bell and brown at forwards, obviously someone at center. Need JJ and cope at guards with bell at 2 a little and Moore as a 3/4 guard. we wont be awesome unless we get that middle guy and freeman plays like a true 5*

I hate it - call me old school but it shouldn't be news for someone to honor their commitment.

Although in this instance don't get it confused, I'm ecstatic that Maliq is coming back. He's an awesome, selfless guy and excited to see what his growth when he's not forced to play out of position with no real backup.
I hear yoilu.

It is what it is.

Maliq told Donna he's returning next year and might play more PF.

"Brown said he will return to Syracuse next season. Depending on how the Orange roster shakes out in the offseason, he could potentially play more power forward."

Great, love Maliq!
IMG_9139.gif

I hope everyone reads this article and can understand that 1) he is clearly our MVP and 2) what he has to do on defense and how well he does it, for what he has been asked to do, is incredible and has been noticed and on-the-record praised by conference coaches.

Quotes praising him from Brian Brownell and Mike Young. Talking about his defense and offense and being a team player that they love.

SU assistant Brendan Straughn, Brown's position coach, describes Brown as "probably the most valuable, the most important piece of what we're doing on both ends of the floor."

Lot of room at the inn for the Maliq Brown Fan Club for posters that want to join.

I hope everyone reads this article and can understand that 1) he is clearly our MVP and 2) what he has to do on defense and how well he does it, for what he has been asked to do, is incredible and has been noticed and on-the-record praised by conference coaches.

Quotes praising him from Brian Brownell and Mike Young. Talking about his defense and offense and being a team player that they love.

SU assistant Brendan Straughn, Brown's position coach, describes Brown as "probably the most valuable, the most important piece of what we're doing on both ends of the floor."

Lot of room at the inn for the Maliq Brown Fan Club for posters that want to join.
I’m still the Recording Secretary, right?

I've been wondering why there hasn't been a bit of discussion about Freeman at the 3 with Malik at PF. We'd be bigger and stronger for sure.
Ive been saying he will see time at the 3. I think we will see Freeman at the 3 with Brown at the 4 and possibly McCloud at the 5 against teams that are strong inside.

Ive been saying he will see time at the 3. I think we will see Freeman at the 3 with Brown at the 4 and possibly McCloud at the 5 against teams that are strong inside.
I think the reason we don't hear as much about Freeman at the 3 is that he's not quite there yet. His HS coaches admit he is playing out of position at the 5. He is much more of a 3/4 than a 4/5. Admittedly I've only seen him twice on TV but that's the feel I got. Other than shooting he has more "3" skills than Bell right now. But if he's the 3 someone else has to shoot. We still need a big guy. We need a solid consistent contributor at the 5 to add to who ever remains of McLeod, Carey, Hima. We can't afford all 3 of those guys on the roster next year. I don't worry about minutes. Even if we bring in 30+ mpg center there will be plenty of time for both Maliq and Freeman.

I think the reason we don't hear as much about Freeman at the 3 is that he's not quite there yet. His HS coaches admit he is playing out of position at the 5. He is much more of a 3/4 than a 4/5. Admittedly I've only seen him twice on TV but that's the feel I got. Other than shooting he has more "3" skills than Bell right now. But if he's the 3 someone else has to shoot. We still need a big guy. We need a solid consistent contributor at the 5 to add to who ever remains of McLeod, Carey, Hima. We can't afford all 3 of those guys on the roster next year. I don't worry about minutes. Even if we bring in 30+ mpg center there will be plenty of time for both Maliq and Freeman.

The comments on Brown shooting the 3 ball in Donna’s article are important. He has a nice looking stroke and if he can add stretch 4 to his list of skills that helps a lot especially with how dangerous he is in the short roll should he be able to pop out and force the defense to react to that as well.

I just want us to be super competitive in the transfer market this offseason. No more 5ppg players. I know Chance has the talent but we need proven players moving forward. Many of our guys will be Juniors so this is the time to put it all together next year.

I just want us to be super competitive in the transfer market this offseason. No more 5ppg players. I know Chance has the talent but we need proven players moving forward. Many of our guys will be Juniors so this is the time to put it all together next year.
The transfer portal is an opportunity to add some grown ass men to our roster. Guys that are physically mature and have experience and leadership qualities.

The comments on Brown shooting the 3 ball in Donna’s article are important. He has a nice looking stroke and if he can add stretch 4 to his list of skills that helps a lot especially with how dangerous he is in the short roll should he be able to pop out and force the defense to react to that as well.
^This. I think the versatility of Brown's (and Freeman's) skill set, in concert with whatever combination of bigs are on the floor at the time, is what matters more in Red's system as opposed to who is "playing" the 3 or 4. Same goes for the other end of the floor for Brown - he is able to defend multiple positions. This gives Red line up flexibility.

Bell needs to be a 7th man if he's not going to put in effort in on both ends of the court. He doesn't shoot 45% every night to justify him getting big minutes otherwise.
but when do you know whether he's gonna go off until he does.
I mean, JGIII wasn't a gift to the defense gods, but got it done (there are others too).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom