Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 71 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

Bigger question I have is what do we do with the remaining schollies as it pertains to the backcourt

Bigger question I have is what do we do with the remaining schollies as it pertains to the backcourt
I would hope they throw offers out there and get some competition for playing time. Think the idea that some savior will come in at PG is long gone. So lets build some depth so we don't have to blame injuries.

I haven’t seen anyone in here say A.J. Hoggard? As a potential pickup

Good banter. Half the fan base wants the big stat lines and to see the stat player at the tops of the rankings. Then others and the staff want a deep team with lots of contributing roles.

Then there’s the rest, the people that want the star players until they don’t live up to expectations or they want the team effort until it doesn’t work out. When it doesn’t play out they blame the coaches and players and say if I had my way I would’ve done this and that differently last year and we’d be winning Natties.

I think the staff viewed Kadary as a one-off. He was too good to potentially pass up, and he had ties to our program. So of course we made an attempt, even though we'd already reeled in Jaquan Carlos.

I also think that while failing to land him is a setback, the sky probably isn't falling.

We landed our PG in Carlos, and my expectation is that any additional adds won't be true PGs -- they'll be combos or maybe even wings with positional versatility who can play both 3 and 2.

But I don't think we'll be dipping our toe into the "possible portal point guards" pool anymore.

Last edited:
Didn't knows his entire story. Kind of nuts.
Says all the right things now. Hope it all works out for him and he realy is transformed by those experiences. Crazy route from his courtside Dome visit to South-by-Southwest Cactus Tech. I wonder what was the whole story with that domestic violence incident, but also wonder how long a ‘kid’ should pay for it.

I think the staff viewed Kadary as a one-off. He was too good to potentially pass up, and he had ties to our program. So of course we made an attempt, even though we'd already reeled in Jaquan Carlos.

I also think that while failing to land him is a setback, the sky probably isn't falling.

We landed our PG in Carlos, and my expectation is that any additional adds won't be true PGs -- they'll be combos or maybe even wings with positional versatility who can play both 3 and 2.

But I don't think we'll be dipping our toe into the "possible portal point guards" pool anymore
Do you think this is an indication that they are confident Westry can play 20mpg at the 1?

I do like Carlos, but I’m a little concerned if we are expecting him to play 30+mpg at the 1 in the ACC when our only other PG is a 6’6 SF who didn’t play at all last year.

Maybe JJ shows more combo guard ability? Maybe Westry is the real deal? Maybe a little bit of both?

Clarendon's Dior Johnson Discusses Past, Present and Future
Clarendon's Dior Johnson Discusses Past, Present and Future
IMO - there’s still a lot of red flags there. The article transfers all responsibility to people other than DJ. He was advised to take a plea deal by the athletic staff? After a change in campus administration they found him to be in violation of the code of conduct? Ok…

Do you think this is an indication that they are confident Westry can play 20mpg at the 1?

I do like Carlos, but I’m a little concerned if we are expecting him to play 30+mpg at the 1 in the ACC when our only other PG is a 6’6 SF who didn’t play at all last year.

Maybe JJ shows more combo guard ability? Maybe Westry is the real deal? Maybe a little bit of both?
My question is this - is there really a 1 in college basketball? Does there have to be?? Carlos looks like a traditional 1 that just may be very good at that position with hi-level players around him. Tristan Newton played the point for the best team - and his game resembles someone like Brandon Triche - who was a 1 or a 2 depending. I think posters are frightened by JJ Starlings metrics - rightfully so - he played a lot of minutes he shouldn't have - but he could be much better with a year and a different approach to the game. Westry/Moore are wildcards - let's hope we draw a good hand.

IMO - there’s still a lot of red flags there. The article transfers all responsibility to people other than DJ. He was advised to take a plea deal by the athletic staff? After a change in campus administration they found him to be in violation of the code of conduct? Ok…
I dont know about the first part but the last part did actually happen FYI. He played with Pitt in their summer international tour after all the off-court stuff and was later let go from the program in the fall.

I dont know about the first part but the last part did actually happen FYI. He played with Pitt in their summer international tour after all the off-court stuff and was later let go from the program in the fall.
I’m privy to the details, but the point remains that when the incident took place, it was a violation…the fact that any change in leadership took place doesn’t absolve of the responsibility of the situation. Pitt didn’t suddenly make up a new code of conduct after the fact. The article reads as though DJ blames everyone but himself for the cards he was dealt.

I’m privy to the details, but the point remains that when the incident took place, it was a violation…the fact that any change in leadership took place doesn’t absolve of the responsibility of the situation. Pitt didn’t suddenly make up a new code of conduct after the fact. The article reads as though DJ blames everyone but himself for the cards he was dealt.
Uhh where did I say it absolves responsibly? Not once, and it doesn’t at all. Your last sentence in your first message with the “….ok” came off like you didn’t believe it and looking at the article there I don’t really blame you but I think the wording is just wrong, I don’t think it was all of sudden they finally realized a year later it was a violation. Either the old president looked past that violation in their code of conduct or the new president brought in new and improved administrative code

Uhh where did I say it absolves responsibly? Not once, and it doesn’t at all. Your last sentence in your first message with the “….ok” came off like you didn’t believe it and looking at the article there I don’t really blame you but I think the wording is just wrong, I don’t think it was all of sudden they finally realized a year later it was a violation. Either the old president looked past that violation in their code of conduct or the new president brought in new and improved administrative code
Ok.