Postgame Thoughts... UNC | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts... UNC

first “big” game I’ve been to in a few years. Blown away at how stupid people are. Nobody knows how to maneuver in there anymore. People were coming BACK to their seats in the middle of play with a minute to go in the first half. Why? Just stay out?

What the hell do the ushers do?
I enjoy the game at home more.

It was a terrible call. It’s not a flagrant call. If he hadn’t laid on the floor there’s no call. It’s a joke.

But he did it twice, not far apart in time. The second time it seemed intentional. That's why it was upgraded. If that call happened in isolation, he ought to get away with it. But already had just gotten away with it against that guy a few minutes before.

It's like a series of tackles getting upgraded to a yellow card in soccer. That one foul, ehhh, maybe not. But when you know they did it on purpose, cynically, you lose the benefit of the doubt from the ref and it feels like a dirty play.

People do realize that UNC still would have had the ball, down 1, had Girard not brain farted, right?

They don’t. They think he was trying to pass it to the unc guy and not Hima.

I literally said in the game thread that with Edwards fouling out on the Nance dunk attempt we absolutely positively had to rebound on that FT.

And we did not. There was actually a moment before he shot that I said to myself, I almost just hope he makes it. Then I said to myself, NineOneSeven, that is crazy talk. You absolutely want him to miss this game tying FT. Duh.

Next thing I know, we are LOSING! Incredible!
I knew we wouldn’t get the rebound on the missed foul shot with Hima blocking out Bacot. Hima wasn’t close to getting that rebound.

I've posted this a couple times before, but has anyone (SWC75 maybe) done an analysis of our win percentage in close game the last few years compared to previous years? It cannot be good. It is so frustrating.

On the plus side, Syracuse has hung with two upper tier teams and probably should’ve won both games. The team is clearly getting better but just not good enough

OK ref breakdown to end the game in a tight game..

- Mintz fouled on his made jumper with 6:16 left. No call for the And 1.

- Mintz steals and drives for an And 1 with 5:22 left only to be called for an absolutely ridiculous charge

- UNC down by 2 with 21.4 seconds left gets fouled. Makes the first FT then misses the second.. on the rebound Bacot stiff-arms Hima in the face (I've rewinded several times and yes it was a very nice stiff-arm) and isn't called for a foul. Result a loose ball which JGlll tries to save and it goes to UNC for a bucket to take a 1 point lead.

- After another charge and flagrant is called on Mintz with 10 seconds left. UNC makes 1 to go up by 2. On the ensuing inbound Caleb Love completely shoves Mintz and of course no call yet again and instead they call the foul on Mintz which seals it.

Free throws end up 23 to 3 in UNC's favor (and they were the road team even).

If you want to say UNC earned more free throws fine. But when you're the road team and you shoot that many more free throws than the other team and then you get 4 absolutely shady calls like that you're way down the stretch then these refs should be absolutely fired. Period. This conference is a joke.

Well done. You reconstructed it with a lot of specific points. I agree with you. We got a hard time from the refs in the 2nd half.

We had several chances to win that game. Make one damn play. Couldn't. One mistake after another in the last minute. How about getting a rebound on the missed NC free throw. Nope. Not only do we knock it out but we save it right to a NC player for an easy deuce. That sequence was after Judah missed a 10 footer that would have put us up 4. Then with one last chance the play is Judah put your head down and drive over the defender. And give him an elbow flush in the face for an easy offensive foul call. Great play call there Jim. How many times has that same play failed this year?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom