Postgame Thoughts... UNC | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts... UNC

Another one gets away. I'm starting to like Bell. He's getting better. He's not quite as gangly and bouncy as James Southerland was, but he's definitely got a sweet shot, not too dissimilar.
Bell‘s play was nothing but positive to me...you could argue he got outboarded but it wasn’t necessarily due to effort like it was earlier.

really thought we should have looked for him more late in the 2nd

Everyone is so focused on the end. How about we don't start every single game down 10 points 5 minutes in?
Well most times you point to the starters and say “they were bad and needed to be replaced” but today they didn’t actually play that bad, UNC was just hot from 3 early and then cuse adjusted and largely shut them down.

On the plus side, we’re right there. Still enough meat on the bone. Obviously would take a monumental change to start winning these close games.

A) Eurostep switch hands layups are technicals now? He wasn't in front of judah, playing defense by headbutting the elbow made it look like a charge B) can we please add another 24-32 teams to the tournament yet? This mood hurts worse than a march madness loss. C) Maybe Could of used Benny late to much on Joe and Judahs shoulders for a home game. Or maybe not.

the refs make us start the same lineup, I think.

or sit in a passive zone until we watch their guys who normally can’t shoot a lick drain 4 3s

Yep... we start every game in a hole instead of having a lead and control of the game. This self handicapping paired with the long list of other things is just absurd and honestly a waste.

was a clear foul on bacot on the missed ft that led to the girard “save”. just watch bacot, its blatant.

ive said it for years, college basketball refs are the worst refs/umpires/judges in any sport. and i dont think its particularly close. blatant favoritism. still dont know how to call a block/charge. inconsistent. dont call blatant fouls on 1 end, call ticky tack fouls on the other. its just so bad.

first “big” game I’ve been to in a few years. Blown away at how stupid people are. Nobody knows how to maneuver in there anymore. People were coming BACK to their seats in the middle of play with a minute to go in the first half. Why? Just stay out?

What the hell do the ushers do?

The call that fouled out Judah was also bogus and should have been the other way. Really no good explanation for a lot of the calls tonight, and the sanctimonious posters that love to claim the officiating didn't play a role should go somewhere else to enjoy smelling each other's farts tonight.
I think those people probably love the smell of their own farts and BO. Like that skit from SNL.

Bell‘s play was nothing but positive to me...you could argue he got outboarded but it wasn’t necessarily due to effort like it was earlier.

really thought we should have looked for him more late in the 2nd

Yeah he deserved more looks. When he is hitting like he was you gotta ride that.

OK ref breakdown to end the game in a tight game..

- Mintz fouled on his made jumper with 6:16 left. No call for the And 1.

- Mintz steals and drives for an And 1 with 5:22 left only to be called for an absolutely ridiculous charge

- UNC down by 2 with 21.4 seconds left gets fouled. Makes the first FT then misses the second.. on the rebound Bacot stiff-arms Hima in the face (I've rewinded several times and yes it was a very nice stiff-arm) and isn't called for a foul. Result a loose ball which JGlll tries to save and it goes to UNC for a bucket to take a 1 point lead.

- After another charge and flagrant is called on Mintz with 10 seconds left. UNC makes 1 to go up by 2. On the ensuing inbound Caleb Love completely shoves Mintz and of course no call yet again and instead they call the foul on Mintz which seals it.

Free throws end up 23 to 3 in UNC's favor (and they were the road team even).

If you want to say UNC earned more free throws fine. But when you're the road team and you shoot that many more free throws than the other team and then you get 4 absolutely shady calls like that you're way down the stretch then these refs should be absolutely fired. Period. This conference is a joke.

On the plus side, we’re right there. Still enough meat on the bone. Obviously would take a monumental change to start winning these close games.

As has been alluded to in the past the problem is that young guys sticking around is no longer a guarantee. So ten years ago I’d be excited for next year but in 2023 we’re all but playing for this year because no one knows who’s coming back (and that includes Boeheim!)

Youre just blatenly wrong!

Marvel Studios GIF by Disney+

The call that fouled out Judah was also bogus and should have been the other way. Really no good explanation for a lot of the calls tonight, and the sanctimonious posters that love to claim the officiating didn't play a role should go somewhere else to enjoy smelling each other's farts tonight.
We needed to foul and we needed him on the bench

As has been alluded to in the past the problem is that young guys sticking around is no longer a guarantee. So ten years ago I’d be excited for next year but in 2023 we’re all but playing for this year because no one knows who’s coming back (and that includes Boeheim!)

Bingo. We could lose 6 underclassmen and right now have maybe a clue around 1 or 2 possibilities

It was but there is no excuse for finishing like this again. None.

Yeah, we're way past the point of "it's getting close" or "we're getting better". We have to start winning these games. We have left way too many games on the table because of bad decision making at the ends of games.

Is Judah Mintz more Jason Hart or Jonny Flynn? I see more Hart than Flynn, and no disrespect is intended by that.

Both Hart and Flynn landed in the NIT their freshman season. And both went on to play in the NBA. So, it's not a bad comparison. Not insulting.

But I don't see good decision making from Mr. Mintz yet. Sometimes, yes, he sets up the post with a sweet wrap-around, or makes a nice kick-out pass off his drives. But too much, head down, drive into traffic with no plan.

Too much falling down on drives - as predicted - are not getting called as fouls nearly as often. He still works hard on defense, and he really wants to win. His drives, when he has room to glide down the lane and kiss it high off the glass are beautiful, very skillful.

But's he not mature enough yet. He needs to hit the open man more often and give up the ball sooner on the fast break.

I am not a “it’s the refs” person.
They shot 23 FT to our 3. +20.
And we play zone. Think about that.

On JG3’s bone-headed play, Bacot just fork lifts Hima under the hoop. And the dominos fall.

Our kids played a helluva game. All of them.
Deserved much better.
Absolutely and Bacot was doing it all game. Shoving people with arms extended under the hoop to get rebounds. It was blatant

I literally said in the game thread that with Edwards fouling out on the Nance dunk attempt we absolutely positively had to rebound on that FT.

And we did not. There was actually a moment before he shot that I said to myself, I almost just hope he makes it. Then I said to myself, NineOneSeven, that is crazy talk. You absolutely want him to miss this game tying FT. Duh.

Next thing I know, we are LOSING! Incredible!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom