Premier League | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Premier League

Yeah, Rodgers is such a great manager that he didn't realize playing for a draw against Chelsea would have won the title. I'm glad you're so high on him. He is great as a motivator, and he crafted a team that was a joy to watch. But without Suarez and with the rigors of European football this year, let's see how well he does. He also has a thing or three to learn about playing defense.

Herman-Edwards-600x250.png

I get what you're saying but we weren't exactly built to park the bus and if SG hadn't misplayed that ball then slipped we probably would've gotten a draw at least. Can't really gameplan for that. Bottom line is he took a less talent squad ahead of a more talented squad.

I'm not as concerned about losing Saurez as perhaps I should be. In 8 games vs City, Chelsea, and Arsenal last season he scored 0 goals. Defense is yet to be seen. I placed a lot of that on the players moreso than the system. 3 new defenders in now so hopefully that gets sort

Not really a BR vs JM convo anyway. Both fell short so Pellegrini would be the guy as of now.

Not really a BR vs JM convo anyway. Both fell short so Pellegrini would be the guy as of now.

Pelligrini had by far the best and deepest squad. That's the only reason they won the title. They steamrolled all the teams lesser than them. Chelsea lacked the offense to do that and Liverpool (and Arsenal) lacked the defense.

Pelligrini had by far the best and deepest squad. That's the only reason they won the title. They steamrolled all the teams lesser than them. Chelsea lacked the offense to do that and Liverpool (and Arsenal) lacked the defense.

Perhaps but he still had injuries to deal with as well and a suspect keeper similar to us. They definitely had the deepest pool of strikers but I'd definitely take Chelseas back 5. The reoccurring theme in all the top 4 sides is strength in the midfield. We lacked depth but overall strength was there. That's why I'm very curious to see what type of season Everton can put together and likewise why I'm hesitant to place united back in the top 4.

Perhaps but he still had injuries to deal with as well and a suspect keeper similar to us. They definitely had the deepest pool of strikers but I'd definitely take Chelseas back 5. The reoccurring theme in all the top 4 sides is strength in the midfield. We lacked depth but overall strength was there. That's why I'm very curious to see what type of season Everton can put together and likewise why I'm hesitant to place united back in the top 4.

Speaking of strength in the midfield, that's why I could see Tottenham having a bounce-back year. They really loaded up on midfielders with size and skill, but Levy didn't have the patience to let the players gel, or to let AVB have a chance to mold them.

Speaking of strength in the midfield, that's why I could see Tottenham having a bounce-back year. They really loaded up on midfielders with size and skill, but Levy didn't have the patience to let the players gel, or to let AVB have a chance to mold them.

Suppose it depends how you rate certain players. I kind of go by the "wow, I would like to have him on my favorite team" factor. For Spurs, aside from Erikson, nobody really does that for me.

Suppose it depends how you rate certain players. I kind of go by the "wow, I would like to have him on my favorite team" factor. For Spurs, aside from Erikson, nobody really does that for me.

Maybe, (and a couple of these guys may have been sold already), but Dembele, Capoue, Lamela, Paulinho, Chadli, Townsend, Holtby, Erickson and Sandro - that's a pretty deep group, and Arsenal would kill to have a player like Sandro or Dembele as their replacement for Arteta. Maybe they could have added a bit more skill, but that's not a bad group of players.

Maybe, (and a couple of these guys may have been sold already), but Dembele, Capoue, Lamela, Paulinho, Chadli, Townsend, Holtby, Erickson and Sandro - that's a pretty deep group, and Arsenal would kill to have a player like Sandro or Dembele as their replacement for Arteta. Maybe they could have added a bit more skill, but that's not a bad group of players.

Far from bad I'm just not sure they'll be able to carry them into the top 4. We'll find out soon enough.

Could I trouble you knowledgeable folks for commentary/critique on my premierleague.com fantasy team? I play with a group of friends. Still have time to make changes.
View attachment 21208

Starters look good but you're putting a lot of faith in them playing every week. Your bench players are either spot players or non players in the case of your keeper so at slight risk of taking 0's in weeks when your starters are out.

Could I trouble you knowledgeable folks for commentary/critique on my premierleague.com fantasy team? I play with a group of friends. Still have time to make changes.
View attachment 21208

Well, Nani is likely to be sold, so I would dump him. He probably won't be in the Premier League soon.

I love Schurrle, and I think he should start this year, but I keep hearing rumors that he may be sold to Atletico Madrid, which I think would be a terrible mistake.

I also wonder how much Micah Richards will actually play this year. My number 1 concern is who is most likely to play every week. Getting zero points from one of your starters is a killer.

View attachment 21208

Its hard for me to make intelligent comments without knowing how your league scores, but my first impressions are:

Costa, Fabregas, Sturridge are set to have big years and are all good gets.

You have Schurrle starting and I'm not so sure he is going to start for his club, so that might not be ideal, but Schurrle is the type who will make the most of any minutes he gets and will get tons of goals from off the bench, so it might not be a bad move.

Henderson might not put up great stats, but he plays more minutes than everyone, so he's a good pick. He gets lots of opportunity to compile stats, and I can definitely see him scoring about 10 goals now that Suarez is gone.

Is that Micha Richards in your starting line up? Did he move teams? Because I don't see him playing much for City. I don't think that was a good pick.

Maybe I am being picky now by making bench suggestions, but Nani is not going to play at all this year. Surely there is a better bench option than him.

Overall a really good team. Maybe made a few adjustments and you are good to go.

Well, Nani is likely to be sold, so I would dump him. He probably won't be in the Premier League soon.

I love Schurrle, and I think he should start this year, but I keep hearing rumors that he may be sold to Atletico Madrid, which I think would be a terrible mistake.

I also wonder how much Micah Richards will actually play this year. My number 1 concern is who is most likely to play every week. Getting zero points from one of your starters is a killer.

Damn. Yeah I saw the City kit and thought it was Kompany.

Its hard for me to make intelligent comments without knowing how your league scores, but my first impressions are:

Costa, Fabregas, Sturridge are set to have big years and are all good gets.

You have Schurrle starting and I'm not so sure he is going to start for his club, so that might not be ideal, but Schurrle is the type who will make the most of any minutes he gets and will get tons of goals from off the bench, so it might not be a bad move.

Henderson might not put up great stats, but he plays more minutes than everyone, so he's a good pick. He gets lots of opportunity to compile stats, and I can definitely see him scoring about 10 goals now that Suarez is gone.

Is that Micha Richards in your starting line up? Did he move teams? Because I don't see him playing much for City. I don't think that was a good pick.

Maybe I am being picky now by making bench suggestions, but Nani is not going to play at all this year. Surely there is a better bench option than him.

Overall a really good team. Maybe made a few adjustments and you are good to go.

Are you not in the ESPN league with us?

See? This is why I posted. Great insights. I didn't know that about Nani; I tend to avoid listening/watching anything to do with Man U. I can definitely find a better sub.

I chose Schurrle exactly for the reasons General20 stated; he'll make the most of his minutes and I expect he'll produce goals off the bench. Plus, I just love his game so he is somewhat of a sentimental pick. I've heard the rumors of him going to Atletico but I'm betting he'll stick around.

I thought Micah Richards would be a solid contributor, but I guess I'll have to rethink his selection. I would have taken Kompany, but couldn't afford him, and I couldn't take another Liverpool or Chelsea player. I'll have to look at this some more.

My strategy for this fantasy league is high risk/high reward. While I am definitely screwed if one of my starters doesn't play, I'm betting that I have enough star power to produce goals that negate any unanticipated absences.

The gist of the scoring is that goalies get points for clean sheets, a certain number of saves, and PK saves. Defenders get points for clean sheets and the most number of points for goals they score among all field players, and assists. Midfielders get points for clean sheets, goals and assists. Forwards get points for goals and assists, but less points than a defender or midfielder would get. Players get one point for each 45 minutes they play. Captains get double points.

I may decide to drop one of my high-money strikers and invest in another midfielder in a 4-5-1 setup.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

I didn't know that about Nani;

I thought Micah Richards would be a solid contributor, but I guess I'll have to rethink his selection.

No, no, don't make any changes. Those are GREAT choices. Great !!!

(We don't need any more contenders for the title. LOL)

I chose Schurrle exactly for the reasons General20 stated; he'll make the most of his minutes and I expect he'll produce goals off the bench. Plus, I just love his game so he is somewhat of a sentimental pick. I've heard the rumors of him going to Atletico but I'm betting he'll stick around.
My strategy for this fantasy league is high risk/high reward. While I am definitely screwed if one of my starters doesn't play, I'm betting that I have enough star power to produce goals that negate any unanticipated absences.

I think Schurrle will have a great year, I'm just not sure how much PT he'll get with the plethora of options CFC have. Hell of a problem to have as a CFC fan I'm sure.

If you're going for star power you can just get the cheapest bench players avail and go all out in your starting 11. Problem with that is you're pretty much stuck with whatever formation you have for the year vs varying based on matchups.

I feel like I figured out a secret for my fantasy team to help me avoid running out of transfers this year.

Made some changes based on your wise input. I think I'm closer to what I'll be fielding on opening day, though I'm not sold on a few things. I'm leery about Mata. Good player, but not sure he'll be in good form to start the season. I'm keeping Schurrle, but making him the first option off the bench to give myself some protection in the event he doesn't see the field. I'll probably play with this a bit more.

Screen Shot 2014-08-14 at 3.41.20 PM.png

Made some changes based on your wise input. I think I'm closer to what I'll be fielding on opening day, though I'm not sold on a few things. I'm leery about Mata. Good player, but not sure he'll be in good form to start the season. I'm keeping Schurrle, but making him the first option off the bench to give myself some protection in the event he doesn't see the field. I'll probably play with this a bit more.

View attachment 21254

I'm hesitant to give you advice based on the fact we are competing. I like that roster better but I wouldn't run that formation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom