Premier League | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Premier League

This is a good opening game for Chelsea because it's exactly the type of set-up -- playing a likely bottom-feeder on the road -- where CFC wasted points last year. It will be interesting to see how the new squad responds. Of course, I never try to read too much into one game. Can't disagree with what you have written. All spot-on.

Exactly! Every away game in the Premier League is not to be taken for granted. These are new boys to the division, which is helpful, but it's their first game so the crowd with be super-pumped. And these guys haven't brought in a bunch of splashy expensive new signings; this is the crowd that got them here. Something to be said for loyalty. It'll probably make for a strong locker room, at least to start.

That said, I think Fabregas and Costa are already clicking really well. I don't think we'll see Oscar and maybe not even Hazard. (Could be mind games from Jose.) I still think Chelsea will roll.

Of the five games I watched, United looked the worst of the supposed contenders. I'm surprised they regressed so far from how they were playing in the States on tour. Opening day nerves and Moyes flashbacks seem to have gotten to them. Also think Van Gaal made a mistake, saying their confidence was crushed by the loss. That's they type of talk that got Moyes in trouble in the first place. Although I think Van Gaal was aiming that at Woodard and the Owner's Box, to get them to splash the damn cash and sign some world class talent. I've been hearing about "imminent" United signings since July 1 and there's been so little action. They need RVP in the lineup, of course, but they have to wrap up these deals for Vidal, DiMaria and Hummels (or an equivalent) or they are toast again.

Arsenal were lucky to escape with the 3 points, as were Liverpool. City is a powerhouse. They didn't get into top gear, and they still looked like the best side on display this weekend. Tonight (DVR) we get to see how Chelsea looks. Personally, I'd love to see a real statement of intent, and lay about 4 goals on Burnley. That would jump us to top of the table, which would be a nice way to start the season.

Hard to take too much from one game but some of the results show why preseason isn't the best barometer of a teams ability. Man U was playing starters trying to prove their worth to the new coach and as such rolled some lessor teams. They beat Liverpool in what was largely a game of two halves but that game was United's exact starting 11 we saw yesterday vs a Liverpool squad with 4 different starters from yesterday one of which we've since sold.

I expect at least 2 further changes to our team as they face City this week. Moreno's paperwork should be cleared up and send Johnson to the bench and also Lucas should be out of the starting lineup with Lallana and/or Markovic back healthy. Those 2 were our obvious weak links during the S'ton match and most could've predicted as much.

Curious to see what CFC do today. Burnley have some players that can score but I expect Chelsea to hit at least 3 vs them. It's a difference of teams City, and Chelsea that are largely the finished product vs a plethora of others LFC, AFC, EFC, THFC, etc that are talented but not "there" yet.

LFC v MCFC this week will show us something. City will be strong as long as Toure stays fit. If he gets worn down again they become much less daunting.

Also funny to see conjecture over which teams will be weakened. Southampton and Swansea both sold players but they also bought and could've strengthened overall. S'ton had 5 guys leave buy have already signed 7. Swansea got Gyllfi back and he will do well behind their striker once again.

LFC v MCFC this week will show us something. City will be strong as long as Toure stays fit. If he gets worn down again they become much less daunting.

Toure couldn't possibly have as good a year this year. His age will begin catching up with him during the winter months, I predict. Two titles in three seasons has to have created some complacency, too. And to think that Dzeko scored something like 28 goals last year in all competitions, and Aguero, even though injured for long spells, hit for 26. Jovetic will play more. Negredo started off on fire last year, bagging a dozen goals by Christmas, but then never really got back into the swing of things after his injury.

I still think there are tons of goals in City's lineup, but just not quite so many as last year.

Hard to take too much from one game but some of the results show why preseason isn't the best barometer of a teams ability. Man U was playing starters trying to prove their worth to the new coach and as such rolled some lessor teams. They beat Liverpool in what was largely a game of two halves but that game was United's exact starting 11 we saw yesterday vs a Liverpool squad with 4 different starters from yesterday one of which we've since sold.

I expect at least 2 further changes to our team as they face City this week. Moreno's paperwork should be cleared up and send Johnson to the bench and also Lucas should be out of the starting lineup with Lallana and/or Markovic back healthy. Those 2 were our obvious weak links during the S'ton match and most could've predicted as much.

Curious to see what CFC do today. Burnley have some players that can score but I expect Chelsea to hit at least 3 vs them. It's a difference of teams City, and Chelsea that are largely the finished product vs a plethora of others LFC, AFC, EFC, THFC, etc that are talented but not "there" yet.

It's about time they closed on Moreno. I agree that Lallana and Markovic will help your attack, and give more width to your offense, and even more creativity. I think Rodgers has done great work. If Emre Can can do it for them as a holding mid, I think that they are almost done in the market. Lovgren was excellent in central defense. I just would like to see one more striker in addition to Sturridge and Ricky Lambert. Somebody like Jackson Martinez would fit Liverpool's profile very well.

Toure couldn't possibly have as good a year this year. His age will begin catching up with him during the winter months, I predict. Two titles in three seasons has to have created some complacency, too. And to think that Dzeko scored something like 28 goals last year in all competitions, and Aguero, even though injured for long spells, hit for 26. Jovetic will play more. Negredo started off on fire last year, bagging a dozen goals by Christmas, but then never really got back into the swing of things after his injury.

I still think there are tons of goals in City's lineup, but just not quite so many as last year.

City have 4 competent strikers (which they paid accordingly for) but IF Toure is out they are quite diminutive in the midfield. There are some bigger teams that will give them issues if he's out.

Similarly Man U got hurt vs Swans by lacking size in the middle/attack and likewise Southampton gave us issues being more physical. I feel Chelsea are stronger here but as witnessed last season, the bigger/more physical team in the midfield will always be in with a shout. Look at Villa going toe to toe with all of the CL qualifiers last season with a a physical pressing style.

It's about time they closed on Moreno. I agree that Lallana and Markovic will help your attack, and give more width to your offense, and even more creativity. I think Rodgers has done great work. If Emre Can can do it for them as a holding mid, I think that they are almost done in the market. Lovgren was excellent in central defense. I just would like to see one more striker in addition to Sturridge and Ricky Lambert. Somebody like Jackson Martinez would fit Liverpool's profile very well.

I've been a Martinez fan for years but noone ever seems to bid on him. I'd take one of the Hoffenheim strikers as well. We also need another keeper with Reina gone. Rumor has us close to the Argentian keeper (who's name escapes me) as well as still potentially in the market for a forward. If we check both boxes by the end of the window this transfer season will be a huge success. Even signing 8 players we're only at a net spend ~$20 mil and if Borini to Sunderland happens it would be close to even so we've still got the money to spend.

City have 4 competent strikers (which they paid accordingly for) but IF Toure is out they are quite diminutive in the midfield. There are some bigger teams that will give them issues if he's out.

Similarly Man U got hurt vs Swans by lacking size in the middle/attack and likewise Southampton gave us issues being more physical. I feel Chelsea are stronger here but as witnessed last season, the bigger/more physical team in the midfield will always be in with a shout. Look at Villa going toe to toe with all of the CL qualifiers last season with a a physical pressing style.

I disagree about City without Toure. They would miss him, but I wouldn't call them "diminutive". Fernando, Milner and Fernandinho are all pretty solid, physically speaking.

That's why I thought Spurs made a mistake getting rid of AVB only half-way through last year. Spurs added some serious muscle to their midfield, and I think they needed time for them to gel.

Question: Tried watching a game online this weekend via NBC Sports' streaming service. Keep buffering and then kicking me out every few minutes or so. Pretty frustrating. Just not a good streaming experience.

So NBC shows games on tv via NBC and NBC Sports. I heard someone say they have alternate channels that show games. Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.

Question: Tried watching a game online this weekend via NBC Sports' streaming service. Keep buffering and then kicking me out every few minutes or so. Pretty frustrating. Just not a good streaming experience.

So NBC shows games on tv via NBC and NBC Sports. I heard someone say they have alternate channels that show games. Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.

NBC sports app was a trip to use for me this weekend as well. NBC main has one game a week, usually the late Saturday game which was Arsenal v Crystal Palace this week. You can catch that on an antennae if you don't have cable.

Anyone else think Diego Costa looks like baba booey?
upload_2014-8-18_15-15-48.jpeg
upload_2014-8-18_15-16-45.jpeg

We can close the competition for goal of the season on August 18. That second goal by Chelsea was about as good as it gets. Wonderful team play.

TBH I thought the Burnley goal was better. Of course that p*ssed Chelsea off and you see the result.

This was much like the opening game last year. Chelsea looked dominant in the first half. They took their foot off the gas in the second after getting a 2-goal lead. Last season, they proceeded to play defensive/counter-attack for the next 37 league games save for the annual torching of Arsenal at home. We'll see what happens this time around.

Besiktas giving Arsenal all they can handle. Besiktas need a result in Istanbul though to have a shot on the return leg.

This was much like the opening game last year. Chelsea looked dominant in the first half. They took their foot off the gas in the second after getting a 2-goal lead. Last season, they proceeded to play defensive/counter-attack for the next 37 league games save for the annual torching of Arsenal at home. We'll see what happens this time around.

I thought that for 20 minutes, Chelsea looked like they could beat any side in Europe this year. I am a bit concerned about Terry in the back this year. He and Cahill were aces last year, but I see them taking a step back this season. I think this will be Terry's last year. Perhaps a deal for Benatia is in the cards, as he (or his agent) have let it be known they prefer the Blues to joining either Man United or Bayern Munich, who has entered the race late.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom