Preseason Camp Thread | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

Preseason Camp Thread

His name was Jurgensen, and he was one of the great passers. It was Bill Kilmer, who George Allen preferred, who shot-putted the ball. He was a converted halfback but a great competitor.

"Jurgensen is recognized as the finest pure passer of his time. A five-time Pro Bowl selection, he earned three NFL individual passing titles. He exceeded 400 yards passing in a single game five times and threw five touchdown passes in a game twice. With a career rating of 82.6, his stats include 2,433 completions for 32,224 yards and 255 touchdowns."

Comparing Schrader throwing to Jurgensen's is ......well ... yeah I think Jurgensen may have an edge.

5-6 videos from him. Insight on a position switch. Interview with Dino.

P/S beat writer “crickets”. It’s like there was no practice today. It’s just amazing how terrible the coverage is. You get what you pay for.

He also put a good depth chart projection article out there yesterday for the paying subscribers.

Can't speak for everyone's budget, but the $10/month for his coverage and the recruiting info is well worth it to me.

The same $10 for the PS... isn't. At least in football season.

He also put a good depth chart projection article out there yesterday for the paying subscribers.

Can't speak for everyone's budget, but the $10/month for his coverage and the recruiting info is well worth it to me.

Normally, I would say, paying a subscription fee for something like this is against my religion. But, starting to feel like I may have to at some point. Still, I've been trying to scout the teams on the early part of our schedule, and things like 2-Deep projections have all been free to read, with all of these other schools.

So I think the thing that gets lost when we talk about the Legend of Dungey and DeVito is that leading up to NC State Dungey put his starting spot into question. He got reckless a few too many times and made some bad decisions, and Babers was weighing that too, especially considering when DeVito came in after that almost-fumble-that-shouldn't-have-ever-been from Dungey he played well enough to get us a W.

Dungey had the best response a guy ever could with that NC State game, and that cemented it, but it was a bit shaky potatoes before that point. People forget that.
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner

He has decent recruiting info on there? Not sarcasm, asking b/c it’s the one thing I miss on this board when posters drove away all the insiders and tidbits.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner
I don’t think people forgot that though, it’s why there was an open competition before the NC State game. It’s why Bailey wrote his editorial and there was the infamous post on this board saying that Devito should start.

Last edited:
He has decent recruiting info on there? Not sarcasm, asking b/c it’s the one thing I miss on this board when posters drove away all the insiders and tidbits.
Decent yes. Great no. Bailey is better at following the team and getting some team access but recruiting really isn't his thing. Mike Mcallilster who is now at SI does a bit better of a job at the recruiting part I would say.

So I misspoke a bit. I was saying I like Bailey's work for the team content. And the other part of the $10 is just having all the access to recruiting info, not necessarily from Bailey himself. Any stories that come out on a player could be from any school's source. I never would have paid for that stuff on its own, but combined with the team coverage, it makes it worth it to me now.

You also get Paramount+ with it fo free. That is what really did it for me. I get SU coverage and another streaming service. Win Win.

You also get Paramount+ with it fo free. That is what really did it for me. I get SU coverage and another streaming service. Win Win.

Only if you take the non-promotional rate for the paramount+

I don’t think people forgot that though, it’s why there was an open competition before the NC State game. It’s why Bailey wrote his editorial and there was the infamous post on this board saying that Devito should start.
People forget it.

They compare the luster of how Dungey's senior season ended vs how DeVito and the team performed after he became a starter and it looks like insanity that there was ever question.

But at the time, Dungey was doing some goofy things, and TD made some plays when given the chance. It's hard to remove everything we know happened after when guessing what we were thinking at the time.

People forget it.

They compare the luster of how Dungey's senior season ended vs how DeVito and the team performed after he became a starter and it looks like insanity that there was ever question.

But at the time, Dungey was doing some goofy things, and TD made some plays when given the chance. It's hard to remove everything we know happened after when guessing what we were thinking at the time.
I don’t see it that way at all. Dungey already had a track record of being competitive and doing what it took to win going in to his senior year. He played well and then had a few off games, but we knew who he was, despite his missed playing time in the previous seasons. Devito had his own goofy play issues but was the shiny new toy on the shelf that was attracting people’s attention.

Dungey made a not great O-Line look servicable by scrambling. In similar situations, DeVito just checked down or threw out of bounds.

Dungey made a not great O-Line look servicable by scrambling. In similar situations, DeVito just checked down or threw out of bounds.
DeVito didn't really do that in 2018.

This is exactly what I'm saying. It's so hard going back to that point in time when we didn't know how certain things would turn out.

This is exactly what I'm saying. It's so hard going back to that point in time when we didn't know how certain things would turn out.
I meant DeVito in 2019. DeVito in 2018 didn't have to do that - there wasn't much tape on him. He shone in the UNC game because he HAD to come out throwing.

Given Dungey’s track record, I don’t think it was a surprise how the 2018 season turned out.

I meant DeVito in 2019. DeVito in 2018 didn't have to do that - there wasn't much tape on him. He shone in the UNC game because he HAD to come out throwing.

I still remember the interception he threw that would have essentially ended the game that was dropped by a UNC linebacker, giving TD a chance to lead the comeback in OT.

But then, throwing interceptions was not his problem. It was giving up on plays. (That and the mess up front.)

DeVito hit a ton of first read deep ball big plays in 2018. Saved our butt a couple of times.

The problem came when the first read wasn’t open.
pretty much the same problem for years.. when option 1 is gone the WRs struggled and the oline couldnt hold blocks.. ED created plays and Shrader does some as well.

The other issue was QB saw one option 1 and the WRs saw a different option 1 in the offense we were running.. This led to some hesitant throws. When we had a slot like Phillips not such a big deal ED just held it until he came open 80 times. Or he threw it to Ish 80 times and he won contested throws.

This style is much tighter, so hopefully more often on the same page, or the option 2 is much clearer to all involved.. Still the QBs and the Wrs need to trust each other. Way too many wait until he is open throws, which leads to smaller windows and too much holding of the ball..

Best thing about ED and his group was at least most of the time the ball came out quick even if it was to the wrong guy the play called for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom