Class of 2014 - Qadree Ollison, RB, Canisius HS | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Qadree Ollison, RB, Canisius HS

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1 We lost our head coach and OC - If he wanted to play D then he would have stayed likely with our DC who infact is HNHCSS
#2 We recruited him, as you said, as a linebacker - Rutgers promised him the feature back position (sound familiar)
#3 We concurrently were recruiting a much better back at the same time in Augustus - Also see #1
I think the point is that he will be playing D whether or not he wants to. One school told him that and the other school will let him play RB on the scout team for a year before moving him to LB.

I think the point is that he will be playing D whether or not he wants to. One school told him that and the other school will let him play RB on the team for a year before moving him to LB.
Isn't that basically what happened with Jo-Lonn Dunbar at BC?

I think the point is that he will be playing D whether or not he wants to. One school told him that and the other school will let him play RB on the team for a year before moving him to LB.

Precisely. I didn't think my post was that complicated that it needed to be broken down.

Here's a quote from a PS article yesterday that is somewhat related to that.

"Coach (Paul) Pasqualoni and Coach (George) DeLeone wanted to make me a linebacker," Dunbar recalled during a recent conversation, "and coming out of high school, I wanted to be a running back. So, instead, I went to BC. And it took about two months before Coach (Tom) O'Brien told me I was going to be a linebacker. I've been one ever since.
"I kind of wanted to go to Syracuse. If I knew I was going to be a linebacker at BC, I would have gone to Syracuse. Easily. I would have easily gone to Syracuse. But Coach Pasqualoni and Coach DeLeone were honest with me. What can I say?"
http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2013/06/poliquin_jo-lonn_dunbar_and_ot.html#incart_river

and that's exactly why Coaches should do what Shafer did with Kendall Moore. Tell him sure he can play TE, while everyone knows he will end up at tackle. They will realize once they start practice that if they want to be successful they should listen to the guys who have been around the game for a while.

and that's exactly why Coaches should do what Shafer did with Kendall Moore. Tell him sure he can play TE, while everyone knows he will end up at tackle. They will realize once they start practice that if they want to be successful they should listen to the guys who have been around the game for a while.
exactly

So lie to the kid to get him on campus? Don't like that approach, never have.

Right but IIRC Moore was told he would get a chance at TE and said if that didn't work he would play where ever most helped the team. That's a bit different then promising a player he will play a certain position only to move him 2 weeks into practice.

So lie to the kid to get him on campus? Don't like that approach, never have.

don't lie to the kid, prove to the kid. give him a fair shake at the position. who knows maybe they prove the staff wrong, but i'm guess most of the time the coaches are right. the kids are smart they realize if they can match up with similar players at that level. there is a reason most of the coaches offer a kid at a certain position they know what transfers from HS to college.

Right but IIRC Moore was told he would get a chance at TE and said if that didn't work he would play where ever most helped the team. That's a bit different then promising a player he will play a certain position only to move him 2 weeks into practice.
I don't recall what happened in that case, but this is an issue I've written about every time I see it. Really rubs me the wrong way. If you tell the kid up front he will get a shot - and if you really mean it, and if you can honestly envision that it could work out if the kid puts in the effort, then do it. But if you know the kid is going to be moved, don't pull a bait and switch.

A good counterexample is Hogue, who chose us over Penn State because GRob told him he could play RB, when most thought he would be a better LB. And Gump did let him play there, with some success. Clearly he was a better LB. But Gump wasn't stringing him along duplicitously.

ya i agree with that approach. i am not saying down right lie, but allow them to start at the position they want and let things work themselves out. worst case they are good enough to play at the position they wanted to play

don't lie to the kid, prove to the kid. give him a fair shake at the position. who knows maybe they prove the staff wrong, but i'm guess most of the time the coaches are right. the kids are smart they realize if they can match up with similar players at that level. there is a reason most of the coaches offer a kid at a certain position they know what transfers from HS to college.
Fair enough. All depends on what is in the coaches' heads, whether they do honestly believe that the kid could make it work with enough effort.

I don't recall what happened in that case, but this is an issue I've written about every time I see it. Really rubs me the wrong way. If you tell the kid up front he will get a shot - and if you really mean it, and if you can honestly envision that it could work out if the kid puts in the effort, then do it. But if you know the kid is going to be moved, don't pull a bait and switch.

A good counterexample is Hogue, who chose us over Penn State because GRob told him he could play RB, when most thought he would be a better LB. And Gump did let him play there, with some success. Clearly he was a better LB. But Gump wasn't stringing him along duplicitously.

ya i agree with that approach. i am not saying down right lie, but allow them to start at the position they want and let things work themselves out. worst case they are good enough to play at the position they wanted to play

Pretty sure this is what we did with Moore per an article awhile back that quoted him directly. It's a world different than telling 6 guys they'll be the "feature back" only to move them as soon as they hit campus.

"Even if I do get to 270 or 280, I think I'm athletic enough to play tight end," Moore said.
"But if I put on like 30 pounds and they want me to play tackle, I have no problem with that. I'm kind of in-between. I can be a big tight end or a tackle who is a little undersized."

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/05/class_of_2013_signee_kendall_m.html

This is how we roll, and I much prefer that over empty promises to players.

nothing wrong with this approach. Moore may surprised them at TE but its highly unlikely he will have the athleticism to be a every down TE. He may end up in some sets as a TE for blocking purposes but he will eventually grow into a tackle. I think stanford did something similar with one of their TE's last year

Some recruiting sites/ message boards are reporting that PSU maybe down to 2 scholarships left in the class with the verbals they have collected. They already have 2 RBs, so I gotta think that makes PSU a less likely destination for this stud

I just watched his video and I'm thinking that this kid reminds me of someone in terms of his style and how he moves. Then it dawned on me ... Ernie Davis.

Some recruiting sites/ message boards are reporting that PSU maybe down to 2 scholarships left in the class with the verbals they have collected. They already have 2 RBs, so I gotta think that makes PSU a less likely destination for this stud

yes and 1 of those spots is reserved for Thomas Holley. He didn't have a Penn St offer to begin with. Most likely will between Syracuse and Rutgers

yes and 1 of those spots is reserved for Thomas Holley. He didn't have a Penn St offer to begin with. Most likely will between Syracuse and Rutgers

Wouldn't be shocking if one of us gets Ollison and the other Witter. Both good looking backs.

To put a spin on that. Penn st. are in a situation where any player can transfer without penalty. So if a current RB or players that leaves may open up another spot.

It bugs me that PSU is still recruiting well. Using Ryvals as a reference, they have 4 4*s, 8 3*s, and 1 2*. I know, take stars with a grain of salt. That being said, they seem to be getting quality kids, even if the numbers will be lower. They are recruiting better than last year. That being said, I like what the SU staff is doing with this recruiting class.

To put a spin on that. Penn st. are in a situation where any player can transfer without penalty. So if a current RB or players that leaves may open up another spot.

But aren't they limited in how many new guys they can take every year? So no matter how many leave program they can only add so many at 1 time. I may be wrong because can't remember exact details of their penalty though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yeah your right about penn st. They are recruiting well under the circumstances. I believe we are benefiting from their situation. I dont think we would have early commitments from Zaire or Cabinda if penn st. wasnt limited in scholly's.

Status
Not open for further replies.