Class of 2022 - QB Braden Davis (DE) Transferring From South Carolina to Syracuse (5/11/23) | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 QB Braden Davis (DE) Transferring From South Carolina to Syracuse (5/11/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure. That's not what happened here. It seems an older higher rated guy got beat by a younger lower rated guy.

Ultimately, he gives us another option, which is good.
Wait did Sellers surpass him on depth chart ? I missed that.

Yeah the Sellers loss was defiantly a kick to the program's junk but to me Davis is again a "plus" addition to our QB room. With this being GS last season ahead it would be great to add 2 more high talent options to the mix so that going into 2024 we have 4 transfers competing for the open #1 QB slot with GS departure.

And so it is written .
Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

Yeah the Sellers loss was defiantly a kick to the program's junk but to me Davis is again a "plus" addition to our QB room. With this being GS last season ahead it would be great to add 2 more high talent options to the mix so that going into 2024 we have 4 transfers competing for the open #1 QB slot with GS departure.
My general impression of the QB movement has been:

Davis is an exceptional athlete who is still developing as a passer. The risk there is maybe he develops and maybe he doesn’t, but with Beck involved if he’s capable of being developed, I have faith Beck will do it. Still not a sure thing though, but the athleticism translates elsewhere so still a good kid to have on the roster.

Sellers was more ready to contribute coming in immediately as a freshman at SC than Davis was after a year in the program. Coupled with Sellers and generally how far down he was on the depth chart moving on was the right thing for him to be able to see the field at QB. He probably could have stuck around there and opted for a position switch if he was set on SC.

Lamson was a much more developed passer than Davis and that’s the part that hurts us for this year. Not to say Davis won’t get there but Lamson I feel was ready to be a contributor if called on. I think he will be on the field at Stanford and sooner rather than later. Their depth chart is pretty weak so it’s a great situation for him, but I still believe he would have been our starter in a year had he hung around.

We are not a better program with Davis on the depth chart at QB instead of Lamson/Sellers. Period. Will be interesting to see if the staff adds another at QB or just rolls with this. A guy like Davis is great as a QB4 option though, similar to when Villari was QB4. Low risk, great athlete and can help the depth chart elsewhere if QB doesn’t work out. And then if he does develop into a starting capable QB it’s house money.

It just blows my mind how critical we are of portal QBs that we couldn't even dream of getting straight out of high school ball.
It doesn’t blow my mind. The guy we had committed that flipped (Sellers) with a much weaker offer list on paper appears to have beaten him out at SC. Davis went nowhere on their depth chart after a year there. It doesn’t mean that Davis won’t develop eventually but he did drop like a rock in the recruiting rankings and most of those offers people are geeking out about weren’t even committable after his JR HS season. Context does matter.

Hopefully he does develop into the kid that Alabama offered as a Soph in HS because that definitely would be awesome for us.

I’m more surprised at how Lamson has been so easily dismissed even after his commitment to Stanford by some of the same posters that are drooling over Davis personally. But what do I know lol :confused:

Last edited:
My general impression of the QB movement has been:

Davis is an exceptional athlete who is still developing as a passer. The risk there is maybe he develops and maybe he doesn’t, but with Beck involved if he’s capable of being developed, I have faith Beck will do it. Still not a sure thing though, but the athleticism translates elsewhere so still a good kid to have on the roster.

Sellers was more ready to contribute coming in immediately as a freshman at SC than Davis was after a year in the program. Coupled with Sellers and generally how far down he was on the depth chart moving on was the right thing for him to be able to see the field at QB. He probably could have stuck around there and opted for a position switch if he was set on SC.

Lamson was a much more developed passer than Davis and that’s the part that hurts us for this year. Not to say Davis won’t get there but Lamson I feel was ready to be a contributor if called on. I think he will be on the field at Stanford and sooner rather than later. Their depth chart is pretty weak so it’s a great situation for him, but I still believe he would have been our starter in a year had he hung around.

We are not a better program with Davis on the depth chart at QB instead of Lamson/Sellers. Period. Will be interesting to see if the staff adds another at QB or just rolls with this. A guy like Davis is great as a QB4 option though, similar to when Villari was QB4. Low risk, great athlete and can help the depth chart elsewhere if QB doesn’t work out. And then if he does develop into a starting capable QB it’s house money.
I think he is going to be much more than a fourth sting option. I wouldnt be surprised if he ends up starting next year.

I think he is going to be much more than a fourth sting option. I wouldnt be surprised if he ends up starting next year.
I’m talking about for this season. If we had a more ready option for QB3 for this season I’d be more comfortable. But who knows if we’re able to bring in a more experienced option for the depth chart for this year

Who knows what the depth chart looks like after Shrader is gone. Too many variables right now. Maybe we bring in a crack HS recruit this year like Sellers and hold onto him too.

Last edited:
I’m talking about for this season. If we had a more ready option for QB3 for this season I’d be more comfortable. But who knows if we’re able to bring in a more experienced option for the depth chart for this year

Who knows what the depth chart looks like after Shrader is gone. Too many variables right now.
sorry. Agreed for this year.

We're goona float like a butterfly and sting like a bee!

Who knows what the depth chart looks like after Shrader is gone. Too many variables right now. Maybe we bring in a crack HS recruit this year like Sellers and hold onto him too.

QB3 is rarely 'ready'. You're lucky if QB2 is.

Curious to hear how some are so optimistic about Lamson beating out the comp at Stanford. Gonna need to hear something more than he throws a pretty ball in spring games. Give me some breakdowns of him and the Stanford QB’s currently on their roster. Keep in mind I am not trying to knock Lamson. It’s more about understanding what others are seeing.

Curious to hear how some are so optimistic about Lamson beating out the comp at Stanford. Gonna need to hear something more than he throws a pretty ball in spring games. Give me some breakdowns of him and the Stanford QB’s currently on their roster. Keep in mind I am not trying to knock Lamson. It’s more about understanding what others are seeing.
I don't think he starts. Missing spring ball and coming in learning a new system will take a lot.

I think he starts as QB3 and that they will be looking for magic. If QB1 struggles, they will give QB2 a look because I don't think there will be much separation between those two. And if both struggle, then, who knows.

Plus, if there is an injury, stranger things have happened.

I don't think he starts. Missing spring ball and coming in learning a new system will take a lot.

I think he starts as QB3 and that they will be looking for magic. If QB1 struggles, they will give QB2 a look because I don't think there will be much separation between those two. And if both struggle, then, who knows.

Plus, if there is an injury, stranger things have happened.
Thanks for the insight. All I know is none of their current QB’s have experience. I don’t know anything about their strengths and weakness but the fact that they haven’t played bodes well for Lamson.

Tommy Devito threw one of the most beautiful balls we’ve seen up here ever.

It just blows my mind how critical we are of portal QBs that we couldn't even dream of getting straight out of high school ball.
Is it critical or honest? I've seen Money say on here more than once offers and stars are meaningless once a guy gets on campus. Someone else pointed out that he was at 4 stars his sophomore year of high school and was downgraded to 3 before beginning college. He was beat out by a younger guy with less experience in the system than him, and it sounds like he may have been around 4th on South Carolina's depth chart. If South Carolina had a QB reputation like the real USC, landing him would be more exciting. Or if South Carolina had recent success akin to Alabama or Georgia it would be more exciting. Simply saying SEC QB doesn't automatically mean elite.

Having said all that, the QB that Georgia won back ro back NC's with was an undersized former walk on. Joe Burrow was a 3 star that was beat out for a job before transferring and winning a Heisman. Baker Mayfield was a three star that started as a freshman walk on before transferring and winning a Heisman. So we know stars and getting beat out for a job may not mean all that much.

Too me, it makes sense to look at this as a nice move to fill an opening but not a reason to be bouncing off the walls excited. The people at either end of the spectrum are cherry picking facts while ignoring others. For the ones on the negative end, I'm sure it's because he's coming from the school that flipped the guy at the last minute that we were excited to get and thought we had that then promptly beat him out.

Shrader has been great, probably better than we could've expected. Hopefully, we can have similar success in the future, since it seems like the portal may be the best place for us to find QB's, at least in the short term.

Is it critical or honest? I've seen Money say on here more than once offers and stars are meaningless once a guy gets on campus. Someone else pointed out that he was at 4 stars his sophomore year of high school and was downgraded to 3 before beginning college. He was beat out by a younger guy with less experience in the system than him, and it sounds like he may have been around 4th on South Carolina's depth chart. If South Carolina had a QB reputation like the real USC, landing him would be more exciting. Or if South Carolina had recent success akin to Alabama or Georgia it would be more exciting. Simply saying SEC QB doesn't automatically mean elite.

Having said all that, the QB that Georgia won back ro back NC's with was an undersized former walk on. Joe Burrow was a 3 star that was beat out for a job before transferring and winning a Heisman. Baker Mayfield was a three star that started as a freshman walk on before transferring and winning a Heisman. So we know stars and getting beat out for a job may not mean all that much.

Too me, it makes sense to look at this as a nice move to fill an opening but not a reason to be bouncing off the walls excited. The people at either end of the spectrum are cherry picking facts while ignoring others. For the ones on the negative end, I'm sure it's because he's coming from the school that flipped the guy at the last minute that we were excited to get and thought we had that then promptly beat him out.

Shrader has been great, probably better than we could've expected. Hopefully, we can have similar success in the future, since it seems like the portal may be the best place for us to find QB's, at least in the short term.
I'm on board that stars don't matter for any individual player once they get on campus.

But I also believe that the more stars we have accumulated in a position group, whether through direct commitments or the portal, the higher the odds are that the position group is a strength.

I'm on board that stars don't matter for any individual player once they get on campus.

But I also believe that the more stars we have accumulated in a position group, whether through direct commitments or the portal, the higher the odds are that the position group is a strength.
Sure. Lot's of people have pointed out the average star ratings of the factories. My point is that there has to be perspective. Does it mean more that he was a 4 star at some point or that the star rating was adjusted down later in high school? Do the high school star ratings mean as much when the guys are transfers and have been weeded out (for lack of a better term) of their first program or do they mean more when you're talking about maximizing your chances of finding talent straight out of high school? Is it different when you're buried on the depth chart by the guy that recruited you versus a new coach that runs a completely different system than the one that recruited you? We've recruited 3 "4 star" transfers, all with different stories. I don't view them all quite the same.

Both of you guys made good points. Im with you on this. The stars mean nothing once on campus but I feel better about filling a 3 deep with 3 former 4 star SEC QB's. Whether they panned out at their old schools or not its so much better than having guys like Charlie Loeb Austin Wilson AJ Long Mitch Kimble and Mahoney

Both of you guys made good points. Im with you on this. The stars mean nothing once on campus but I feel better about filling a 3 deep with 3 former 4 star SEC QB's. Whether they panned out at their old schools or not its so much better than having guys like Charlie Loeb Austin Wilson AJ Long Mitch Kimble and Mahoney
Exactly, because that seems to be the realistic alternative.

And look, to varying degrees people talked themselves into those guys! Like, that they were really going to be difference makers! I thought AJ Long was going to have a major place on our record book.

Then we're like, well, Davis can switch positions if he doesn't work out.

Exactly, because that seems to be the realistic alternative.

And look, to varying degrees people talked themselves into those guys! Like, that they were really going to be difference makers! I thought AJ Long was going to have a major place on our record book.

Then we're like, well, Davis can switch positions if he doesn't work out.
I was all in on Kenterius Womack lmao

I think because of Beck's record in developing QB's, we have to trust his judgement on bring in a new QB.

I think because of Beck's record in developing QB's, we have to trust his judgement on bring in a new QB.
Good point. Seems like all the QB’s he’s worked with developed quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom