Class of 2022 - QB Braden Davis (DE) Transferring From South Carolina to Syracuse (5/11/23) | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 QB Braden Davis (DE) Transferring From South Carolina to Syracuse (5/11/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody knows nuttin'

1426775886_alfredenewman.jpg.26328205a09610ba6379edccd2f24ea5.jpg

Didn’t he hand select the guy that supposedly beat Braden Davis out!? Gotta trust that guy’s eye a bit, no?
That's it. LaNorris screwed up. Our coach will coach up our guys and LaNorris will fall behind...until he transfers here, and then he will have missed out on being coached by Coach Freaking Beck for a year or two. Dumb move LaNorris.

That's it. LaNorris screwed up. Our coach will coach up our guys and LaNorris will fall behind...until he transfers here, and then he will have missed out on being coached by Coach Freaking Beck for a year or two. Dumb move LaNorris.
A little stronger than I meant, but let’s ride with it! Yeah!

Recognizing Beck’s ability to develop QB’s doesn’t mean people expect Sellars to suck. I think he is gonna be a good QB for S Carolina. They got a good one.

My general impression of the QB movement has been:

Davis is an exceptional athlete who is still developing as a passer. The risk there is maybe he develops and maybe he doesn’t, but with Beck involved if he’s capable of being developed, I have faith Beck will do it. Still not a sure thing though, but the athleticism translates elsewhere so still a good kid to have on the roster.

Sellers was more ready to contribute coming in immediately as a freshman at SC than Davis was after a year in the program. Coupled with Sellers and generally how far down he was on the depth chart moving on was the right thing for him to be able to see the field at QB. He probably could have stuck around there and opted for a position switch if he was set on SC.

Lamson was a much more developed passer than Davis and that’s the part that hurts us for this year. Not to say Davis won’t get there but Lamson I feel was ready to be a contributor if called on. I think he will be on the field at Stanford and sooner rather than later. Their depth chart is pretty weak so it’s a great situation for him, but I still believe he would have been our starter in a year had he hung around.

We are not a better program with Davis on the depth chart at QB instead of Lamson/Sellers. Period. Will be interesting to see if the staff adds another at QB or just rolls with this. A guy like Davis is great as a QB4 option though, similar to when Villari was QB4. Low risk, great athlete and can help the depth chart elsewhere if QB doesn’t work out. And then if he does develop into a starting capable QB it’s house money.
I think the first paragraph of your post is questionable. "Davis is an exceptional athlete who is still developing as a passer." OK, it is very obvious we needed a quarterback. Players and coaches talk to each other during the transfer process to see if the university is getting what they need and vice versa. Film and information is sent to the school or viewed online and the athletes entire career is reviewed. Do you think Jason Beck would give his approval to Dino and the other coaches if he didn't think Braden was the player they wanted, capable of being coached /developed?

"The risk there is maybe he develops and maybe he doesn’t, but with Beck involved if he’s capable of being developed, I have faith Beck will do it. Still not a sure thing though, but the athleticism translates elsewhere so still a good kid to have on the roster."

How do you think Davis got where he is today? Natural talent of course, but inject coaching into the equation. Look at his tape and you can see how he's been coached to step up in the pocket, to stay out, to read his progressions, identify his target(s) and get rid of the ball. That takes talent - Braden has it. And to get where he is now he has, had per my experience, to take coaching development. Taking a player aside correcting something and having him repeat it for half an hour and coming back to see how the player is progressing. He's had it done it, swallowed it, digested it and moved on.

Did you ever play football? It takes a lot of work on both the part of the athlete and coaches to develop anyone on a football team. A player with talent will be developed first, especially the quarterback. Teams are built around the QB because he is going to get you wins. Again, it looks like coaches have spent a lot of time with Braden because he exhibits many traits a QB needs to be successful.

It takes time and time is precious - put the work in. I was an All-State QB from a N.J. prep school and the N.J. State Champion in the 100 yard dash.

It took may hours of throwing to receivers who I worked with every day in the summer prior to my sophomore, junior and senior year to end up where I did. The weights. You have to get to love them. After we were done throwing we lifted. All the throws routes, setting up for the throw rolling out, side stepping was outlined by the staff in the spring before we began. We got it - Braden will too.

And, a lot of quarter mile and miles to get into condition. Learning about the starting block, how to start, how to come up out of the block, staying down at the start gradually come upright and relax your face through the event to gain tenths and hundredths of a second. That was taught to me over and over till it was muscle memory and brain. Braden has one too.

It seems in your post that there is a question in your mind that Davis may not be capable of being developed. If you look at his film, post # 128, it is obvious to me that he is a great athlete which you say he is, very agile and elusive, gets out of tight situations without panicking, reads his progressions well, gets rid of the ball quickly when he’s found his target, throws tight spirals through tight windows and can, as a dual threat, gain yardage running the ball at a 4.63 40. If you look at a close up of Braden he has large hands. God given. Better to grip the ball with. All of this paragraph except for his large hands and speed were developed with his coach(es). I'll bet Beck can't wait to work with him.

Braden has four years to play. And, like kcsu says, and I agree, I think he may start next year. I think he's going to be just fine.

Last edited:
I think the first paragraph of your post is questionable. "Davis is an exceptional athlete who is still developing as a passer." OK, it is very obvious we needed a quarterback. Players and coaches talk to each other during the transfer process to see if the university is getting what they need and vice versa. Film and information is sent to the school or viewed online and the athletes entire career is reviewed. Do you think Jason Beck would give his approval to Dino and the other coaches if he didn't think Braden was the player they wanted, capable of being coached /developed?

"The risk there is maybe he develops and maybe he doesn’t, but with Beck involved if he’s capable of being developed, I have faith Beck will do it. Still not a sure thing though, but the athleticism translates elsewhere so still a good kid to have on the roster."

How do you think Davis got where he is today? Natural talent of course, but inject coaching into the equation. Look at his tape and you can see how he's been coached to step up in the pocket, to stay out, to read his progressions, identify his target(s) and get rid of the ball. That takes talent - Braden has it. And to get where he is now he has, had per my experience, to take coaching development. Taking a player aside correcting something and having him repeat it for half an hour and coming back to see how the player is progressing. He's had it done it, swallowed it, digested it and moved on.

Did you ever play football? It takes a lot of work on both the part of the athlete and coaches to develop anyone on a football team. A player with talent will be developed first, especially the quarterback. Teams are built around the QB because he is going to get you wins. Again, it looks like coaches have spent a lot of time with Braden because he exhibits many traits a QB needs to be successful.

It takes time and time is precious - put the work in. I was an All-State QB from a N.J. prep school and the N.J. State Champion in the 100 yard dash.

It took may hours of throwing to receivers who I worked with every day in the summer prior to my sophomore, junior and senior year to end up where I did. The weights. You have to get to love them. After we were done throwing we lifted. All the throws routes, setting up for the throw rolling out, side stepping was outlined by the staff in the spring before we began. We got it - Braden will too.

And, a lot of quarter mile and miles to get into condition. Learning about the starting block, how to start, how to come up out of the block, staying down at the start gradually come upright and relax your face through the event to gain tenths and hundredths of a second. That was taught to me over and over till it was muscle memory and brain. Braden has one too.

It seems in your post that there is a question in your mind that Davis may not be capable of being developed. If you look at his film, post # 128, it is obvious to me that he is a great athlete which you say he is, very agile and elusive, gets out of tight situations without panicking, reads his progressions well, gets rid of the ball quickly when he’s found his target, throws tight spirals through tight windows and can, as a dual threat, gain yardage running the ball at a 4.63 40. If you look at a close up of Braden he has large hands. God given. Better to grip the ball with. All of this paragraph except for his large hands and speed were developed with his coach(es). I'll bet Beck can't wait to work with him.

Braden has four years to play. And, like kcsu says, and I agree, I think he may start next year. I think he's going to be just fine.
Bill - I appreciate your thoughtful post - I’m looking at this more from a position of how Davis got to where he was. And if you look at that path it does raise valid questions. That’s all.

Can say this about basically all of the QBs that commit to P5 programs each year and think the odds are 60-70% of them never develop into multi-year starters at that level. Just the way it goes. Davis is a coin flip at very best to ever become QB1 here based on ability and not injury.

There’s always the possibility that the next quarterback after Shrader is not even on the roster. If Shrader kills it this year and gets some post season honors, we might pick up a big time talent.

Bill - I appreciate your thoughtful post - I’m looking at this more from a position of how Davis got to where he was. And if you look at that path it does raise valid questions. That’s all.
tep624,

Thank you for the cordiality of your communication. :)

I guess I don't understand about the "path" you are talking about.

This is all I know about Davis aside from his film which I think is exceptional:

Syracuse lands former South Carolina QB from transfer portal​

Andrew Olson | 5 days ago
https://www.facebook.com/dialog/sha...ormer-south-carolina-qb-from-transfer-portal/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=https://saturdayroad.com/syracuse-orange/syracuse-lands-former-south-carolina-qb-from-transfer-portal/&text=Syracuse+lands+former+South+Carolina+QB+from+transfer+portal
Syracuse has added to its quarterback room via the transfer portal. Former South Carolina QB Braden Davis is joining the Orange to continue his college football career.

Davis shared the news Thursday via his Twitter account. He will begin his Syracuse career as a red-shirt freshman with 4 seasons of college football eligibility remaining.

Davis was named the Gatorade Delaware Football Player of the Year. He graduate from Middletown (Del.) High School in December 2021.

After graduating, Davis enrolled early at South Carolina for spring 2022. In the 2022 season, he worked on the scout team and did not see any game action.

Davis hung around at South Carolina for another spring session with the Gamecocks. On April 26, he decided to enter the NCAA transfer portal during the undergraduate window. As a first-time transfer, Davis will have immediate eligibility this fall.

I think Braden was smart to get out of SC with Rattler as the starter. There are too many SC QB's in the room. And, Rattler ain't going anywhere but under center. He is the AZ record holder as a HS QB with over 11,083 YDS and116 TDS pssing and 1000 YDS running. The story of how he came to SC out of OK with the stats he had is interesting. Toxic in Norman specifically with his coach.

Then after Rattler you have and all of them are rated 4stars:
2. Colton Gauthier RSo
3.Tanner Bailey RF
4. Luke Doty RJ
5. LaNorris Sellers

My question to Davis is with the room this full of talent why would you choose Carolina with Rattler and the others. It would be rare, IMO, that anyone would come in and take the ball away from 1,2,3,4, or 5. Sellers is from Carolina and I bet the coaches are a bit biased about him. I am glad he chose to come north.

I'm guessing but I feel there isn't a lot of love for Davis among some here.

I on the other hand, think he's got talent and will show it when he begins summer camp - if not sooner.

Please tell me the path less traveled Davis took that raise valid questions about him.

Last edited:
tep624,

Thank you for the cordiality of your communication. :)

I guess I don't understand about the "path" you are talking about.

This is all I know about Davis aside from his film which I think is exceptional:

Syracuse lands former South Carolina QB from transfer portal​

Andrew Olson | 5 days ago
https://www.facebook.com/dialog/sha...ormer-south-carolina-qb-from-transfer-portal/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=https://saturdayroad.com/syracuse-orange/syracuse-lands-former-south-carolina-qb-from-transfer-portal/&text=Syracuse+lands+former+South+Carolina+QB+from+transfer+portal
Syracuse has added to its quarterback room via the transfer portal. Former South Carolina QB Braden Davis is joining the Orange to continue his college football career.

Davis shared the news Thursday via his Twitter account. He will begin his Syracuse career as a red-shirt freshman with 4 seasons of college football eligibility remaining.

Davis was named the Gatorade Delaware Football Player of the Year. He graduate from Middletown (Del.) High School in December 2021.

After graduating, Davis enrolled early at South Carolina for spring 2022. In the 2022 season, he worked on the scout team and did not see any game action.

Davis hung around at South Carolina for another spring session with the Gamecocks. On April 26, he decided to enter the NCAA transfer portal during the undergraduate window. As a first-time transfer, Davis will have immediate eligibility this fall.

I think Braden was smart to get out of SC with Rattler as the starter. There are too many SC QB's in the room. And, Rattler ain't going anywhere but under center. He is the AZ record holder as a HS QB with over 11,083 YDS and116 TDS pssing and 1000 YDS running. The story of how he came to SC out of OK with the stats he had is interesting. Toxic in Norman specifically with his coach.

Then after Rattler you have and all of them are rated 4stars:
2. Colton Gauthier RSo
3.Tanner Bailey RF
4. Luke Doty RJ
5. LaNorris Sellers

My question to Davis is with the room this full of talent why would you choose Carolina with Rattler and the others. It would be rare, IMO, that anyone would come in and take the ball away from 1,2,3,4, or 5. Sellers is from Carolina and I bet the coaches are a bit biased about him. I am glad he chose to come north.

I'm guessing but I feel there isn't a lot of love for Davis among some here.

I on the other hand, think he's got talent and will show it when he begins summer camp - if not sooner.

Please tell me the path less traveled Davis took that raise valid questions about him.
Yesh I’m not going to rehash the conversation, I’ve made my thoughts known already in the thread.

Can say this about basically all of the QBs that commit to P5 programs each year and think the odds are 60-70% of them never develop into multi-year starters at that level. Just the way it goes. Davis is a coin flip at very best to ever become QB1 here based on ability and not injury.
There is generally only one starting QB on a team, you could still be very good and get beaten out for the top spot.

Yesh I’m not going to rehash the conversation, I’ve made my thoughts known already in the thread.
If it's the Fla. episode that worries you perhaps you shouldn't be.

I'm sure before we took him he was thoroughly examined by our staff - if they felt he was marginal they wouldn't have offered. But, we'll see. I hope he does well for himself and SU.

There is generally only one starting QB on a team, you could still be very good and get beaten out for the top spot.
Well there's usually only 1 QB per recruiting class as well. So it's debatable if anyone would qualify as very good at the P5 level and still get beat out at least twice for a starting job which is what would likely be the case unless they bail out immediately. I'm sure there is an example of someone who went on to being successful after losing out twice at a mega power but I'd think it's extremely rare.

Well there's usually only 1 QB per recruiting class as well. So it's debatable if anyone would qualify as very good at the P5 level and still get beat out at least twice for a starting job which is what would likely be the case unless they bail out immediately. I'm sure there is an example of someone who went on to being successful after losing out twice at a mega power but I'd think it's extremely rare.
Joe Burrow?

Joe Burrow?
Perfect example. And then you can look at the list of the top 40 2020 QB recruits and I believe only 1 or 2 are going to be starting this year for the school they originally enrolled at. That's so completely insane.

Perfect example. And then you can look at the list of the top 40 2020 QB recruits and I believe only 1 or 2 are going to be starting this year for the school they originally enrolled at. That's so completely insane.
Thus a strategy of plucking your QB’s from the portal could be an effective strategy for Cuse!

Thus a strategy of plucking your QB’s from the portal could be an effective strategy for Cuse!
Completely agree. Go fishing for those guys that were those 4 star top 15/20 types that just lost out on the starting job post spring ball at some powerhouse school. Get them as redshirt freshman or sophs that have 3 years of eligibility and have been in a strength program and are acclimated to college life.

Only really works if we don't have an entrenched underclassmen starter though. Not getting one of those high end options to come in at a time like now where we have a 2 year starter back. Will absolutely be our best option in the 1st post-Shrader year.

No I don’t really think it’s debatable. Put Dungey on another team, is he a multiyear starter? It would depend on what team his is on. How about Shrader, he starts for us, but not on his former team. Getting beat out doesn’t necessarily mean a QB is not very good, it means there is a lack of actual game data to make an accurate assessment. Again only one QB gets a chance, and lots of factors go in to that decision. Every other position except for specialists like kickers, backups get at least some meaningful playing time or there are multiple starters, so a more accurate assessment can be made. You could have two mediocre QBs competing to be starter or two excellent QBs competing.

O
No I don’t really think it’s debatable. Put Dungey on another team, is he a multiyear starter? It would depend on what team his is on. How about Shrader, he starts for us, but not on his former team. Getting beat out doesn’t necessarily mean a QB is not very good, it means there is a lack of actual game data to make an accurate assessment. Again only one QB gets a chance, and lots of factors go in to that decision. Every other position except for specialists like kickers, backups get at least some meaningful playing time or there are multiple starters, so a more accurate assessment can be made. You could have two mediocre QBs competing to be starter or two excellent QBs competing.
Brad Johnson might be a good example. Started six games at FSU as a junior before being passed by. As a senior only started one game. He went on to play in the NFL for a long time and even was the qb when the Bucs won their first Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom