Class of 2024 - QB Brendan Zurbrugg (OH) Flipped to Oklahoma | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 QB Brendan Zurbrugg (OH) Flipped to Oklahoma

I wish "Z" well BUT I don't like the way he backed off his CUSE commitment.
He said he felt comfortable at Syracuse. Said he wanted to play for the coaches.
We get a commitment from Jakhari and poof... I'm outta here.
No..."thank you to Coach Babers and Coach Beck..." After talking it over with my family... nothing.
"I'm flipping my commitment to Northwestern."
Classy...
It’s better he do this now, then do it 4 months from now. I can actually respect that, if he had a change of heart or felt a little threatened with Williams in the same class. Anyway at least now we can focus on the next option or maybe even bring in someone better.

All I can say is that I am glad I didn't get into coaching college football.

It has to be frustrating as hell. It always was but these days, it seems to be 50 times worse than a couple of years ago.

Herding cats is so much easier.

Good luck to BZ. Hope he kills it at Northwestern and throws 10 TDs against PSU and RU.

moustache goodbye GIF

I’m not hung up on it. He was a good prospect, but you can’t fault someone for leaving for a better chance at playing time.
[/QUOTE. Yah right, I don't want a kid on my team that doesn't want or is afraid of competition.

Ugh. Disappointed. I liked Zurbrugg. Seems strange timing despite the commitment from Jakhari. He knew we were taking more than one QB. Jakhari is rated higher but we know ratings only mean so much obviously. I like Jakhari but his highlights didn't knock my socks off to the point it should scare another good QB off.

Did he ever even visit Northwestern? It is very difficult to land players in the midwest that have somewhat comparable offers from B1G schools. Ohio is definitely B1G country. That is what everyone pays attention too there so hard to sway kids away from that. But if the reason is he really wanted to be in the B1G why sign with Cuse originally?

Last edited:
I'll join the hyper criticism of a decommit when our commenters apply the same standard to kids who flip here from elsewhere.

Doesn't seem that hard to fathom for me. We got a commit from a more highly-rated QB. That likely swayed him to flip to Northwestern since it was probably a close call in the first place.

yep, guy is a good coach for sure, but they have been bad the last two years, especially last year, losing back to back to Southern Illinois and Miami(OH). The ineptitude of arrogant Frost kept them from going 0-12. Worst offense this side of Iowa last year too.
Let’s just hope he beat rutgers. Lol. Fitz did pick up the Cincinnati QB so I think that helps them.

I'll join the hyper criticism of a decommit when our commenters apply the same standard to kids who flip here from elsewhere.

Doesn't seem that hard to fathom for me. We got a commit from a more highly-rated QB. That likely swayed him to flip to Northwestern since it was probably a close call in the first place.
Good point and out of all the years we've discussed recruiting you would think people would be used to the roller coaster ride. Including me. Lol. I guess there will always be a level of shock.

Honestly, I liked this kid's hudl the best of all the recent qbs we were recruiting. Not sure about competition level, but think he will be a good one. Oh well, life goes on.

I’m more than willing to blindly trust the staff with this stuff the way things are going right now

Is White completely out of the picture? Haven’t heard anything on him since his visit.

I get your point. Criticism are from very emotional fans that have barely recovered from losing Mr Sellers last year at the eleventh hour. Ratings are ratings. Very imperfect. My gut tells me he(Zurbrugg) is/was under rated and under recruited. His athletic ability, vision, and accuracy are extremely impressive. Our fans are a little chippy right now. Me included.

This kid might set the world on fire at Northwestern. But I’m not going to lose sleep over this flip.

Some context…

From the Canton Repository, he has 16 offers, “ranging from the Mid-American Conference (Akron, Kent State, Miami, Bowling Green, Toledo, Eastern Michigan, Ball State) to the Ivy League (Dartmouth, Yale) to FCS schools (Youngstown State, Colgate, Maine, Lehigh) to Liberty.” The other two are Northwestern and Syracuse.

He did not win his conference last year. Dru DeShields was outstanding for West Branch (Ohio) for several seasons, won the Eastern Buckeye Conference and committed to Kent. I have not seen Zurbrugg in person, but I have seen DeShields. He’s amazing. And he’s a MAC QB recruit.

Zurbrugg had the third most passing yards in Stark County last fall. I’ve watched the other two on multiple occasions. Poochie Snyder is outstanding and dynamic for Canton South, leading the county in passing yards. His offers heading into senior year? Maine and Sacred Heart. The other QB ahead of him in Stark County passing yards is a talented kid out of Fairless High School named Carson Colucci. He’s getting looks from local D3 powerhouse Mount Union.

Zurbrugg will likely have an outstanding senior season. But the two P5 offers seem like the outliers here.

Time will tell. Good luck to him in purple.

Thanks for your input. Most of us rely on a few minutes of highlight film, some comments from a few experts and judge by ratings and offers. Real eyes on players are very important.

I’m not losing sleep over a developmental prospect. I liked his film but that’s exactly what he is.

Wish him well. Give me the kid currently committed to Toledo. He’s the better prospect, playmaker and athlete in my opinion. Let Beck work on his throwing and mechanics. Can’t teach being a stud athlete like him, but you can teach mechanics of a throw. Zurburgg never seemed like much a Syracuse football player name anyway, definitely more of a Northwestern football player name (only semi joking) lol

Wish him well. Give me the kid currently committed to Toledo. He’s the better prospect, playmaker and athlete in my opinion. Let Beck work on his throwing and mechanics. Can’t teach being a stud athlete like him, but you can teach mechanics of a throw. Zurburgg never seemed like much a Syracuse football player name anyway, definitely more of a Northwestern football player name (only semi joking) lol

I liked Zurbrugg -- a lot.

And I think / believe that Osborne [Toledo commit] is a much, much better QB prospect than his rating. He's got extremely impressive throwing talent and accuracy. I wonder if we circle back and let him know things changed.

If not, I trust that the coaching staff will pivot in some capacity and explore every available option.

Zurbrugg is an amazing athlete as well if you do a little research and watch some film. I agree that Osborne is a good fit as well.

Reactions: CIL
This kid might set the world on fire at Northwestern. But I’m not going to lose sleep over this flip.

Some context…

From the Canton Repository, he has 16 offers, “ranging from the Mid-American Conference (Akron, Kent State, Miami, Bowling Green, Toledo, Eastern Michigan, Ball State) to the Ivy League (Dartmouth, Yale) to FCS schools (Youngstown State, Colgate, Maine, Lehigh) to Liberty.” The other two are Northwestern and Syracuse.

He did not win his conference last year. Dru DeShields was outstanding for West Branch (Ohio) for several seasons, won the Eastern Buckeye Conference and committed to Kent. I have not seen Zurbrugg in person, but I have seen DeShields. He’s amazing. And he’s a MAC QB recruit.

Zurbrugg had the third most passing yards in Stark County last fall. I’ve watched the other two on multiple occasions. Poochie Snyder is outstanding and dynamic for Canton South, leading the county in passing yards. His offers heading into senior year? Maine and Sacred Heart. The other QB ahead of him in Stark County passing yards is a talented kid out of Fairless High School named Carson Colucci. He’s getting looks from local D3 powerhouse Mount Union.

Zurbrugg will likely have an outstanding senior season. But the two P5 offers seem like the outliers here.

Time will tell. Good luck to him in purple.
How are we not recruiting a guy named Poochie Snyder!?

Flips less than 24 hours after Williams commits. Tells you all you need to know.
Eh. We were always taking two this cycle.

I do not live too far from his HS. NW plays in the Big 10, which Ohio is all about. It is a better school from an academics perspective with better facilities.

His parents have easier drives to see him play (insert USC jokes) more the bulk of his schedule. It sucks because I really liked his film.

Good news is with the QB portal game of musical chairs, we can find another pretty quickly.

Eh. We were always taking two this cycle.

I do not live too far from his HS. NW plays in the Big 10, which Ohio is all about. It is a better school from an academics perspective with better facilities.

His parents have easier drives to see him play (insert USC jokes) more the bulk of his schedule. It sucks because I really liked his film.

Good news is with the QB portal game of musical chairs, we can find another pretty quickly.

Yes, we were always taking two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom