Class of 2020 - QB Dan Villari (NY/Michigan) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (1/11/22) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB Dan Villari (NY/Michigan) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (1/11/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dino had to have known about him, but didn't offer him. Why, and what has changed (I think the answer to the second question is likely 'We didn't land a QB in the 2022 class')?
Dino has never been a QB coach or evaluator. The was always someone else, like Gilbert. Gilbert was replacing Martin in 2019-2020, so I can easily see SU overlooking him / not even bothering once Michigan was involved. It's not like we've been going after NYC/LI recruits very hard the past few years.

Now that Beck is on board the QB evaluation and recruiting should be much better (Gilbert wasn't all that great). I think this offer is a direct reflection of that.

The 6-foot-4, 235-pound Villari completed 1-of-3 passes for 26 yards this fall, adding 41 rushing yards gained on nine attempts. He has four years left to use his remaining four seasons of eligibility.

Before going to Ann Arbor, Villari was a standout at Plainedge High School in Massapequa, N.Y., rated three stars and the No. 40 pro-style quarterback in the Class of 2020 by the 247Sports Composite. Also slotted as the No. 14 player in New York State that cycle, he threw for 1,306 yards and 13 touchdowns as a senior, recording just one interception while adding 1,522 yards with 25 touchdowns rushing.

The 6-foot-4, 235-pound Villari completed 1-of-3 passes for 26 yards this fall, adding 41 rushing yards gained on nine attempts. He has four years left to use his remaining four seasons of eligibility.

Before going to Ann Arbor, Villari was a standout at Plainedge High School in Massapequa, N.Y., rated three stars and the No. 40 pro-style quarterback in the Class of 2020 by the 247Sports Composite. Also slotted as the No. 14 player in New York State that cycle, he threw for 1,306 yards and 13 touchdowns as a senior, recording just one interception while adding 1,522 yards with 25 touchdowns rushing.
He apparently was Michigan’s third string QB. Not bad for a young QB.

Has 4 years of eligibility remaining.

Is quite the entrepreneur on social media; has a couple of companies sponsoring him.

And my First Law of the College Portal says we have a great chance to get him.

So, his senior year he rushed for more than he threw and they had him as a pro-style quarterback. Curious.

I agree, Phat. If a kid merited a big-time offer like Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas, any SEC school, you take that kid. Even if their coaches didn't think he was "all that", he was evaluated as being good enough to play at those schools, and he practiced for a season or more with that level of coaching. I will always take a chance on those kids, absent an attitude problem.
Not for nothing, but his only P5 offer was from Michigan and wasn't in NYS top 10 out of HS. Not to say I don't like the offer, especially If Anae and Beck like him.

So, his senior year he rushed for more than he threw and they had him as a pro-style quarterback. Curious.

An aspirational thing, much like 6-3 or 6-4 guards who realize their only shot at the big time is as a PG. Doesn't mean they have that skill set (yet), but that's where they see their future.

Dino had to have known about him, but didn't offer him. Why, and what has changed (I think the answer to the second question is likely 'We didn't land a QB in the 2022 class')?
Dino and Sterling might look for different things than the new OC and QB coach. It happens. It’s encouraging in that the new guys might have some autonomy to get who they’d like with Dino weighing in.

If you check out his Twitter, it looks like John Kinder is one of his hometown coaches.

1641607802508.gif

Not for nothing, but his only P5 offer was from Michigan and wasn't in NYS top 10 out of HS. Not to say I don't like the offer, especially If Anae and Beck like him.
He was 13 on Rivals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors