QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford

the portal allows kids to act on impulse now vs repercussions of sitting a year.

it's such a stupid thing college sports has allowed. you make a commitment to a school with a scholarship you should have to sign a promissory note that you will repay if you leave to play at another school. let the other school buy you out and repay it.
You're proposing indentured servitude.

Which is completely meaningless b/c he’s never played meaningful minutes as D1 QB. Rated well…. Based on what.
True…. And yet, there it is.

I think we love Syracuse football to talk about someone who was just as likely the third-string QB as much as we are.

We did not lose that much to the portal post spring ball in the scheme of things.
Yup. Was walking to a friend of mine last night who went to Oregon. Said they've lost 16 kids to the portal. And apparently Texas A&M has lost close to 30.

We lose context here, a lot.

Yup. Was walking to a friend of mine last night who went to Oregon. Said they've lost 16 kids to the portal. And apparently Texas A&M has lost close to 30.

Yep happening everywhere

If he stayed at Syracuse and Lamson has one bad quarter in mop up duty this year he would be thrown overboard as quickly as he entered the portal. Sure we need the depth but nobody here knows if the kid is any good or not. Everybody LOVES the 2nd and 3rd string QB's. Wait until the " don't count out McPhail" post start in a few months.

And again, don't care what the kid does, show me the roster on August 27th

Net flow should be the context. Programs like Oregon, A & M, and Michigan replace their Portal losses with equal, if not better, talent from all recruiting sources. Much more difficult for mid-tier programs to replenish talent raids. Especially, when these top schools can pluck the best of the Portal, and best of high school recruits.

Net flow should be the context. Programs like Oregon, A & M, and Michigan replace their Portal losses with equal, if not better, talent from all recruiting sources. Much more difficult for mid-tier programs to replenish talent raids. Especially, when these top schools can pluck the best of the Portal, and best of high school recruits.
Eh, those portal losses end up at schools like Syracuse. We have a kid from ND, a kid from Alabama, a couple from Florida - just off the top of my head.

We also can pluck proven kids from below.

Recruiting HS kids is riskier when you’re a mid-tier team.

And they can probably come back. Happened with two of our players already who entered the portal. I'm sure the coaches would let Lamson and Geer back.

Worry first, worry later. That's our motto.

1) People here freak about any loss. We're in the "OH MY GOD THE THIRD STRING QB LEFT" thread after all.

2) As others said, we tend to get portal players coming from other P5 schools.

I hate hypotheticals…. But here’s one anyway.

I looked up the average cost of 4-year college tuition. Basically $20,000. Of course, players get more than that. They get room and board (in some cases very nice accommodations), food (again, better than you or I eat), medical care, some clothing, coaching/training, tutors and academic help (beyond what most students get), and who knows what else.

Let’s inflate all of that to $50K. (Obviously that doesn’t come close to paying for an education at SU or many other schools, but it’s a nice round number.

Now let’s say there was a league - operated by another organization - let’s hypothetically say it’s the NFL Junior League. And this league paid every player a flat $50,000 per year to play in their league. No more. No less.

Question: What percentage of current FBS players do you think would opt to play college football (without NIL) rather than play in this other league?

Everybody is guessing but here’s my potential logic for the move:

-he’s chasing immediate playing time because he could be planning to graduate after this season
-if he’s lights out in his opportunity, he has high major options for another transfer. If not he sticks where he is and is presumably comfortable. That grad transfer big step possibility (which now has a big value) requires him getting on the field sooner than would happen here.

Only good news is with Portal this can be addressed easily

I'm sorry, but this is simple thinking. Lamson has practiced the offense for two years, has worked with these teammates, has hopefully developed some chemistry with them, even those on the 2nd team. Because eventually, 2nd teamers become starters,

Bringing in a completely new guy, with no chemistry or history with the other players, it makes him a carpet bagger on his new team. This is a big part of why a lot of transfers don't do as well at their next location. You're just parachuting into a group of players who already think of themselves as "the team".

I'm sorry, but this is simple thinking. Lamson has practiced the offense for two years, has worked with these teammates, has hopefully developed some chemistry with them, even those on the 2nd team. Because eventually, 2nd teamers become starters,

Bringing in a completely new guy, with no chemistry or history with the other players, it makes him a carpet bagger on his new team. This is a big part of why a lot of transfers don't do as well at their next location. You're just parachuting into a group of players who already think of themselves as "the team".
Who knows what kind of tampering (or thought processes) might have gone on. But from my view in Section 117, he has zero D-1/P5 snaps and is wearing a brace after rehabbing a major injury. Why overlook the forest for the trees ... the best opportunity is right in his face?

Last edited:

Counterpoint is what happened at SU with Shrader coming in and moving the ball better than the guy who was here for years.

Counterpoint is what happened at SU with Shrader coming in and moving the ball better than the guy who was here for years.
Shrader was here for spring ball the year he transferred. Whomever (if we find one) replaces Lamson is going to have a much shorter time to learn the system.

We don’t know that this is any more true than SU replacing players that left with highly rated players. There’ll need to be some years of playing this portal game before you can say that. Just because the higher rated schools get better HS players historically, that they’ll instantly have a net positive or come out the same in the portal, probably will be true but hasn’t been proven yet. These schools didn’t typically lose out on 15-20+ HS commits before signing day. But they are losing that many to the portal. Will they end up better each year, hard to believe that’s a strategy for continued success

It is.

Indentured servitude was a contract.
Other institutions do essentially the same thing for other programs. I had a friend that went to the St Joe's Hospital school of nursing for free. In exchange he was required to work for them for 3 years after he graduated. If he hadn't, he would've owed them the tuition.

Other institutions do essentially the same thing for other programs. I had a friend that went to the St Joe's Hospital school of nursing for free. In exchange he was required to work for them for 3 years after he graduated. If he hadn't, he would've owed them the tuition.
An indenture was a contract (passage to the new world in exchange for labor on shore). But in modern times it comes down to the fairness of the bargain. Continued employment in exchange for educational benefits (or a debt for the cost of the education if the employee leaves early) is done all the time in industries across the economy.

I imagine you can see how that's quite a bit different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom