Class of 2017 - Quade Green 2.0 | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Quade Green 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gunna post some highlights from his season so we can have a better discussion. Not saying green set the world on fire as a freshman but I think some people on here think he had s horrible season and that is the farthest thing from the truth. There is a lot to like about his game.

You cherry picked his great games. He had some real duds like UCLA, Utah Valley, Kansas, Harvard etc. and those duds were before SEC play (W.Va, Tenn twice ,Aub etc.) . He also seemed to do very well against the creampuffs and not so well in league play (like the season Frank had two years ago). Most important in the postseason 6 games he averaged 4.7 pts/game and shot 10-31 from the field and in 5 of those games only scored a total of 18 pts. Meh. That's the truth not far from it.

You cherry picked his great games. He had some real duds like UCLA, Utah Valley, Kansas, Harvard etc. and those duds were before SEC play (W.Va, Tenn twice ,Aub etc.) . He also seemed to do very well against the creampuffs and not so well in league play (like the season Frank had two years ago). Most important in the postseason 6 games he averaged 4.7 pts/game and shot 10-31 from the field and in 5 of those games only scored a total of 18 pts. Meh. That's the truth not far from it.
He averages more points during the conference season than during the season as a whole if you look at his stats.

Serious question on Goodine - I understand that we took an early commitment from him and that we anticipate him to be a good player for us at some point. But depending on which recruiting site you look at, he's either a high 3 star or a low 4 star player. Ranked nationally somewhere in the 120-140 range. Has he really blown up over the past several months to the point that we'd expect him to be an immediate contributor his freshman year? Does he expect to be handed the keys to the kingdom here? I'm not well versed in his recruitment as others are, so I'm trying to understand why some are saying we might lose him if Green comes here.

I'd rather have a proven 5 star guard with big game experience, and have Goodine learn from him during his freshman year. If Green does well here in '19-20, there's a great chance that he could bounce after that season. And in '20-21, it's the Brycen Goodine show with a year of development under his belt.

Would take Q in a heartbeat. I assume our staff would only take him knowing it would have no affect on Goodine, whom they love.

Well, this validates peoples concerns then.

Who was the point guard Dion’s freshman year? I dont remember him or cj getting substantial minutes even though dion had committed early like goodine

If Quade becomes available then it's a no-brainer as long as it doesn't affect Goodine. There's a reason the staff loved him as much as they did. I know Quade has at least a little regret of his decision even if he doesn't end up transferring and I believe our coaches know it too.

Would take Q in a heartbeat. I assume our staff would only take him knowing it would have no affect on Goodine, whom they love.

Exactly. Said the same.

I didn't cherry pick anything I just posted what was available. The point I was trying to make was that if you watch him play, he has some skills that we have been lacking. Kid can shoot, has a nice midrange pull up and a great handle. Pretty good at pushing the ball up court and doesn't just pound the rock. He actually played off the ball quite a bit for them because of how good sga was but I think green would be better suited running the point. I get he had some ok games but he was a freshman. Its crazy some on here think his season was garbage. Overall he had a pretty good season and has a ton of upside and that's the truth. Who knows if he's even transferring and if he does will we even be involved?

Can't you all wait until he decides to leave Kentucky and opens up his recruitment to include Syracuse? Otherwise, you are jumping on the roller coaster based on pure speculation that he will be leave Kentucky when he may or may not even leave. Too much speculation without any guarantee.

Can't you all wait until he decides to leave Kentucky and opens up his recruitment to include Syracuse? Otherwise, you are jumping on the roller coaster based on pure speculation that he will be leave Kentucky when he may or may not even leave. Too much speculation without any guarantee.
No, don't be ridiculous. Everyone, continue your shenanigans.

I'm not saying Pay-Pal should have been bound by anything but performance on the Court. His job is to win. But given the sheisty program he runs, I wouldn't be surprised at all if PP did give a promise and then broke it. Quade is in no position to complain about that, of course. But that's just part of the whole dumb allure of the UK semi-pro system. I can hear him pitching, "Come here and you'll be our starting PG and get in the NBA". Then reality set in. PP did what he does. Instead of PG, Green was often playing off the ball. Then he was coming off the bench. Now he's getting recruited over. Oh well. Recruiting's tough when people don't keep their word, right?!

My question is, what's Green's real fit in the zone? If he can't get to the rim surrounded by other 5-stars, how's he going to get to the rim on a team with less talent and spacing? Will he be able to close out on shooters and clog driving and passing lanes at his height? Length is a key component of an effective zone, as we saw this past year. We were one of the tallest teams in the tournament and the zone was air tight. Why drag a 5'11 kid in here with an ego and a checkered history, when we have other players we're grooming for the same spot (Goodine) that may well be better (and taller)? I don't see it. But we've certainly spent enough time arguing about it.
I’ve heard you say it over and over again about the height. Who cares if he’s not 6’4. Arguably 3 of our top 5 pg’s in school history were around 6 feet tall (Douglas, Flynn and GMac). Quade is a baller. If he wants to come here we take him. He will only make Goodine better.

You can hold the his commitment to UK over his head but don’t all people make mistakes? I think he’s realized that he made a huge one and wants out. Wherever he goes he’s going to have to pay the price by sitting out a year. If he truly wants to be a part of the SU family I will welcome him with open arms. Kids make mistakes and he’s learning from it.

I understand the concern that Goodine won't be happy if Green came here but from what little I know about Goodine, he seems like he really wants to play for SU. Has always wanted the offer because of his grandma and committed pretty early.

Yeah that's not lost on me, but it was also a different scenario, with different players and different personnel.

Would Quade have been the backup point this year?

Maybe in 2 years Quade can co-exist with Carey and Goodine.

Green can come or not come I could not care less. I have moved on from him. He was not that impressive at KU, not saying he can not get better, but anyone we bring in might/can get better. He had a great opportunity here and basically told us shove it, so I am not willing to give him any slack, if the coaches forgive and forget then I will to, but he should not receive any special treatment, and shoul he come it should only be on our staff's terms
Ultimately this thread may be pointless, because he may not transfer and if he does it may not be here.

I need all of the hot "don't want him" takes because pride, or something. LOL.
Take him.

Then pull the scholly the day before school starts.

How's that?

Seriously, I would take him, but only if he knows and accepts he could very well be a backup and that Goodine is Plan A at PG. Any chemistry issues would immediately land him in the doghouse or out of the program. Basically, if he wants the SU degree then OK. If he wants the NBA, call Jay Wright.

Take him.

Then pull the scholly the day before school starts.

How's that?

Seriously, I would take him, but only if he knows and accepts he could very well be a backup and that Goodine is Plan A at PG. Any chemistry issues would immediately land him in the doghouse or out of the program. Basically, if he wants the SU degree then OK. If he wants the NBA, call Jay Wright.

I...don’t have an issue with that.

My only concern is that I'm going to sound like a raging hypocrite to my GF after I spent a yr cursing his name and giving the tv double birds every time the little rat bastard stepped on the court. Maybe I can convince her its a different Quade Green that i miraculously love now :)

Couldnt Green and Goodine play together? If you’ve got two guards who can both shoot well enough to play off the ball, and can both handle the ball and pass and they’re your two best guards...then play them together. See Scoop and Triche. Seemed to work out just fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors