Quadir Copeland in the portal | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Quadir Copeland in the portal

We want fries!
We want fries! ;)
I remember those days - free fries at Burger King on M Street if SU scored 100 points. And I remember it happening more than once during my college years - '80-'84.
this was before the 3 pt shot AND the shot clock.
How is it that even since both of those have been around, 100 point a games became such a rarity?

A brief thought on Copeland entering the portal.

Could it be a referendum on Westry more than anything else? As in, Copeland is leaving in part because he doesn't want to compete with Westry?

Copeland and Westry are very similar players, and we really wanted Westry out of high school. Copeland only was recruited after Westry chose Auburn over Syracuse.

If Westry is both healthy and better than Copeland, wouldn't that leave few minutes for Copeland next season?

Copeland is in a very good position to know the answer to both, as they've been competing together and against each other since Westry was healthy enough to practice with the team.

I wonder.

No, that was our younger siblings in Generation X. They're the ones who ruined education.

Edit: Here's my evidence. Baby Boomers grew up in the late 60s and 1970s. The drinking age was 18, pot was abundant, sex didn't kill you, and life was very affordable.

Generation X came of age in the 80s and 90s - the era of Wall Street, cocaine, designer jeans, rampant consumerism, and junk bonds - the beginnings of companies destroying the economy for profit.

When George W. Bush passed the No Child Left Behind Law in 2002, that is when we started testing our teachers, and as a result, "teaching to the test". This was the beginning of the end of critical thinking and writing essays in school, and led eventually to standardized tests for every couple years of a child's education.

Then we began rating school districts and teachers by how their pupils performed on these tests. Housing prices went up in "good" school districts, and the whole playing field was tilted.

Also in this time frame, the cost of going to college exploded. When I graduated from Cornell, tuition was $7,000 for the year. Now, it's 10 times as much.
I would like to point out the 80's is when boomers started being in charge... Their parents, who fought the war, created the world's greatest economy, and the Great Society started retiring and dieing off.

Then the boomers took over and it's been rough for the younger generations ever since.

It's not an accident that the ladder got pulled up once the boomers got rich.

And the funny part is boomers are convinced they did everything themselves. And Generation X and the Millennials are poor because we like lattes and avocado toast too much.

I would like to point out the 80's is when boomers started being in charge... Their parents, who fought the war, created the world's greatest economy, and the Great Society started retiring and dieing off.

Then the boomers took over and it's been rough for the younger generations ever since.

And the funny part is boomers are convinced they did everything themselves. And Generation X and the Millennials are poor because we like lattes and avocado toast too much.

lol agreed; boomers think way too highly of themselves... had it easy.

Lead was a hell of a chemical to put in just about everything, it certainly hasn’t helped them think critically about the changing world around them

Would he go to another school who offered him?
Does he have to start or would he be a 6th man again?

Would he go to another school who offered him?
Does he have to start or would he be a 6th man again?
In the games I watched from say the Sweet 16 on - I don't think Q would have started for any of them. Heck I'm not sure how many Judah would have started for.

Don't lock any other $&:;#%$ player transferring threads! Like ever! :)

Last edited:
This is Sam Vecenie’s analysis of Quadir in The Athletic. It’s Pretty spot on. I wish we’d been able to make it work with him.

Not many players can realistically call themselves the best athlete in the portal, but Copeland is one of them. He’s lightning in a bottle on a basketball court, averaging 9.6 points, 4.6 rebounds, 2.8 assists and 1.5 steals in just 22 minutes per game last season while playing some point guard and some off the ball for the Orange. He does things on the court that few can, from long hang-time finger rolls to spinning, whirling layups. His jump stops seem to cover eight feet, which is absurd.

Copeland pairs those athletic gifts with tremendous passing ability. He reads ball screens well and throws some of the most impressive live-dribble passes you’ll ever see on a court. I’m taking 20-foot wrap-arounds into tight windows, hook passes to rollers with ease, touch lobs, sharp dump-offs and more.

There is a wildness to his game that can be both intoxicating and frustrating for his team. He’ll turn the ball trying to do the spectacular. On top of that, he can’t really shoot. He made just 25 percent of his 3s and did not look particularly comfortable taking them in any circumstance.

But sometimes, the lightbulb comes on in a hurry with guys this athletic and with such a natural feel for the game. If it does, he might be truly special. Maybe he merely ends up as an impact backup like he was at Syracuse. But if he hits, he’s really going to hit. — Sam Vecenie

This is Sam Vecenie’s analysis of Quadir in The Athletic. It’s Pretty spot on. I wish we’d been able to make it work with him.

Not many players can realistically call themselves the best athlete in the portal, but Copeland is one of them. He’s lightning in a bottle on a basketball court, averaging 9.6 points, 4.6 rebounds, 2.8 assists and 1.5 steals in just 22 minutes per game last season while playing some point guard and some off the ball for the Orange. He does things on the court that few can, from long hang-time finger rolls to spinning, whirling layups. His jump stops seem to cover eight feet, which is absurd.

Copeland pairs those athletic gifts with tremendous passing ability. He reads ball screens well and throws some of the most impressive live-dribble passes you’ll ever see on a court. I’m taking 20-foot wrap-arounds into tight windows, hook passes to rollers with ease, touch lobs, sharp dump-offs and more.

There is a wildness to his game that can be both intoxicating and frustrating for his team. He’ll turn the ball trying to do the spectacular. On top of that, he can’t really shoot. He made just 25 percent of his 3s and did not look particularly comfortable taking them in any circumstance.

But sometimes, the lightbulb comes on in a hurry with guys this athletic and with such a natural feel for the game. If it does, he might be truly special. Maybe he merely ends up as an impact backup like he was at Syracuse. But if he hits, he’s really going to hit. — Sam Vecenie
Sigh, sounds like the kind of guy I want on my roster,
Except apparently he stirs crap, allegedly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom