Class of 2016 - RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte | Page 81 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. I'm guessing Axe is trying to do a "counterpoint" to Bailey's article, which should be coming out shortly. Basically, trying to drive up discussion and therefore hits.

his counterpoint is idiotic. Because it's now a legacy it has to be earned? It was a legacy before they idiotically put it up in the rafters, and they gave it to HS kids no problem. Plenty of whom didn't live up to it, yet the number is still legendary.

his counterpoint is idiotic. Because it's now a legacy it has to be earned? It was a legacy before they idiotically put it up in the rafters, and they gave it to HS kids no problem. Plenty of whom didn't live up to it, yet the number is still legendary.
Here's the thing: it was always a legacy! That's what Brent doesn't seem to get. It doesn't just become a legacy because it was retired.

Did we only start celebrating Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, and Floyd Little when the number was retired in 2005? Is that his line of reasoning!?

Yeah - he's making it something it's not. It's not a barometer of greatness. It's already legendary. Wearing it shines a spotlight on those who came before you, despite your performance. If you happen to be great (like we believe RW could be) - it adds to the legacy in a living, breathing way.

Keeping it in the rafters makes it old and yesterdays story.

Wow, now I understand the origins of the name "jekelish":bang:. I've always wondered and it was so easy.
Ha. It used to be just "jekel" back on the original board. Then we moved boards, and someone else picked "jekel" before I could. So I figured it I couldn't be jekel, I'd be jekel-ish.

Did Axe just do a very Axe thing and put up a thrown together restore 44 compromise article today when Bailey clearly said he was publishing one today in yesterdays RW article?

-To His point and to save you the reading if a Senior is good enough to "Earn" 44 for his Senior year as he suggests, nowadays there is a very good chance he might jump to the NFL as a Junior never wearing the number and it does nothing for recruiting.

He's a dope.

The compromise thing is ridiculous. Offer to a top end back. If they meet expectations great, if not, move on.

We'd kill for Mike Owens, Terry Richardson, or Rob Konrad right now and nobody is saying they reached the level of Brown, Davis, or Little, but so what.

Someone has to be a future best player ever, Heisman winner, or Pro HoF recipient to wear the number, that's stupid.

It's a tool the program can use to improve the roster, use it.

As for 44...if they can give it to Rob Konrad, then Robert Washington deserves it as well. Nothing has really changed with the legacies of Jim, Ernie or Floyd since K'rad's playing days. I just don't understand how the school can restrict itself so much with something as simple as a jersey #. Well, it's not that simple for SU and the community, but it's also not something that should impact the program in any negative way. Not using it as a recruiting tool is negatively impacting the program. Time for that to change. I hope your campaign works jek.

He's a dope.

The compromise thing is ridiculous. Offer to a top end back. If they meet expectations great, if not, move on.

We'd kill for Mike Owens, Terry Richardson, or Rob Konrad right now and nobody is saying they reached the level of Brown, Davis, or Little, but so what.

Someone has to be a future best player ever, Heisman winner, or Pro HoF recipient to wear the number, that's stupid.

It's a tool the program can use to improve the roster, use it.
Couldn't agree more. I tweeted at him, why mess with the tradition, since that's never been what we've done? He tweeted back basically saying we need to add rules since it's 44 v2.0. Uh, no, it's not. Why would we add limitations and rules when we're trying like crazy to get back to national relevance?

And I said it on Twitter just now but I'll repeat it here: we've been waiting for an elite talent to hopefully change the culture at Syracuse and show other elite talents that it's okay to pick SU. Now, we've got one very, very interested in Syracuse football.

And our first instinct is to try to make him jump through some hoops for us!?

And I said it on Twitter just now but I'll repeat it here: we've been waiting for an elite talent to hopefully change the culture at Syracuse and show other elite talents that it's okay to pick SU. Now, we've got one very, very interested in Syracuse football.

And our first instinct is to try to make him jump through some hoops for us!?
Hopefully RW retweets it

27 minute mark.

Couldn't make out where he said something about his Mom? living close enough to Syracuse to attend games. Anyone get that?
Give him the digits, it obviously means a lot to him. And BTW - The Express strikes again.

27 minute mark? Holy hell!! I can't even begin to listen to DT's overly long, non sense rambling interviews. It's mind boggling that he actually has these kids sit down for 27 minute interviews. What else did they talk about? Did he give a life story?

27 minute mark? Holy hell!! I can't even begin to listen to DT's overly long, non sense rambling interviews. It's mind boggling that he actually has these kids sit down for 27 minute interviews. What else did they talk about? Did he give a life story?

It was like 50 minutes long... With a bunch of random commercials. Quite comical, thank god I could skip parts.

Edit: Robert had a good response to basically all of his questions, seems to handle interviews very well.

Well, he talked about all 6 schools in great detail. It was a really good job by Robert. He's pretty clearly a very bright, respectful young man. I'm really impressed every time I listen to him speak. He's an impressive kid off the field.

Starts talking SU at 27 minutes

Couldn't agree more. I tweeted at him, why mess with the tradition, since that's never been what we've done? He tweeted back basically saying we need to add rules since it's 44 v2.0. Uh, no, it's not. Why would we add limitations and rules when we're trying like crazy to get back to national relevance?

Making a player "earn" does nothing to actually improve the talent on the roster.

Even if Jordan Evans doesn't turn out to be Mikey Powell, is it better or not in the long run to have him on the roster?

Making a player "earn" does nothing to actually improve the talent on the roster.

Even if Jordan Evans doesn't turn out to be Mikey Powell, is it better or not in the long run to have him on the roster?
Exactly! It's keeping the legacy of 22 alive.

The longer 44 stays in the rafters, the quicker people will start forgetting what the hell it actually means. Even if you give it to a kid and he doesn't pan out like you hoped, EVERY TIME he steps out on the field, it'll get people talk about about the legacy, and keep it on the forefront. Every. Time.

It was like 50 minutes long... With a bunch of random commercials. Quite comical, thank god I could skip parts.

Edit: Robert had a good response to basically all of his questions, seems to handle interviews very well.

Yeah the commercials were just downright weird. It sounded like Tortora just reading a commercial script for the ones I heard.

Exactly! It's keeping the legacy of 22 alive.

The longer 44 stays in the rafters, the quicker people will start forgetting what the hell it actually means. Even if you give it to a kid and he doesn't pan out like you hoped, EVERY TIME he steps out on the field, it'll get people talk about about the legacy, and keep it on the forefront. Every. Time.

Keeping the number retired serves no purpose. Retiring it in the first place was a horrible decision. Keeping it retired - that makes absolutely zero sense to me.

It should be a debate between keeping the original tradition intact (which I'm a huge proponent of) or modifying it but still using the number.

Here's Bailey's article, hot off the presses: http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...l?hootPostID=dc6b75d095d3d4d80a57335484d55eb9

EDIT: I just started reading. Ha! I got name-checked.

220px-WooHAHBusta.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors