Reading the Oronde Tea Leaves… | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Reading the Oronde Tea Leaves…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dungeys best season for completion percentage was 64.8, every other season was 60 or below. Shrader completed 64.7% last year and is already above 68% this season. Shrader also sports a better TD to INT ratio. Accuracy is comparable. Shrader had a real rough 2021 but he wasn’t being groomed as the starter either as the plan was Devito.
My point on ED was strictly arm strength related and overall zip/velocity on the ball.

Shrader is a UDFA. He doesn’t have NFL arm talent at all. His out routes take 3 seconds to get out there. Dungey had a more live arm and he wasn’t drafted/moved to TE in spring mini camps.
Shrader has a chance. Teams are looking for big QB’s that can run. He is a high quality, smart guy And could see him on a team like Buffalo as he would fit the style of an open offense and make scramble plays similar to Allen. Think he can make all the throws and seems to avoid turnovers. Devito has a better “pure” arm but Sharder has more upside for a team

Shrader has a chance. Teams are looking for big QB’s that can run. He is a high quality, smart guy And could see him on a team like Buffalo as he would fit the style of an open offense and make scramble plays similar to Allen. Think he can make all the throws and seems to avoid turnovers. Devito has a better “pure” arm but Sharder has more upside for a team
He can make a majority of the throws in college but that doesn’t mean he can make them in the NFL. Particularly the way he floats his out route is a pick 6 waiting to happen in the league. If your only quality at QB is scrambling teams are going to stack the box, play press man, and make you throw into tight windows. I don’t believe he has NFL arm talent, I think he’s a really good college QB.

Dungeys best season for completion percentage was 64.8, every other season was 60 or below. Shrader completed 64.7% last year and is already above 68% this season. Shrader also sports a better TD to INT ratio. Accuracy is comparable. Shrader had a real rough 2021 but he wasn’t being groomed as the starter either as the plan was Devito.

At the end of the day I think they are/ were pretty similar. Eric obviously is remembered for the Clemson win and the 10-3 season, his fire and reckless type approach to the game. Shrader takes similar approach just a lot more subdued antics wise on the field. Both have been great at Syracuse. I think it's pretty clear these are the types that can be successful here

Dungey was also a starter for 4 years minus the injuries so that is always worth something as well

My point on ED was strictly arm strength related and overall zip/velocity on the ball.
And it has been pointed out they are comparable then I replied to your accuracy post which was your rebuttal to someone telling you your memory is wrong and to watch the tape.

They are comparable … you favor Dungey for whatever reason but we’ve poked holes in the accuracy and velocity tropes … now what will the difference be … bicept circumference?

They are comparable … you favor Dungey for whatever reason but we’ve poked holes in the accuracy and velocity tropes … now what will the difference be … bicept circumference?

Hair

And it has been pointed out they are comparable then I replied to your accuracy post which was your rebuttal to someone telling you your memory is wrong and to watch the tape.

My accuracy comment was about how his accuracy translates to the NFL. Had nothing to do with Eric Dungey. You seem to not like me or my posts for whatever reason, and try to start things with me, like your reply right now being aggressive for literally no reason, how about put me on ignore so you don’t have to see my posts? Also your response was a reply to my post replying to someone saying GS could be a backup in the NFL. So worried about starting things with me you don’t even know what you’re replying to.

Last edited:
The only telling piece of Oronde information I saw was Noah Eagle being on Brent Axe's podcast. While Noah never explicitly said Dino told him anything, Noah said him and Todd Blackledge spoke to the coach's this week. Noah kept saying there is virtual no chance Oronde plays.

I could be totally in my head about this, but my vibe was Dino had a smirk or something when Noah asked how Oronde was.

Sounds like he will be out either the majority of the season or the entire season.

That now makes it 3 out of our last 5 high profile NFL prospects to get hurt in their assumed final season for Syracuse. Cisco, Garrett Williams, and OG. The final 2 of the 5 would be Tucker and Bergeron. You can even make the case that Tucker wasn’t healthy last year as we all saw him hobbled plenty last season.

Bergeron is the only guy to make it through a season unscathed. This stuff has to change. Not sure if it’s just atrocious luck, or something to do with S/C staff.

Regardless it’s devastating to the players’ draft stock and the teams season.
this is not good news, but this is Football. Injuries happen at an alarming rate. No sport needs the next man up mentality as much as football. I hope he returns but if he can't then it is time for someone else to step in and step up.

Central Michigan took out Eric Dungey.

Did Oronde's injury look intentional on replay?
I didn't perceive the Oronde injury as being the result of a dirty play, but there were plenty in that game as evidence by all the laundry on the field. One that comes to mind as being the most obvious was when the whole WMU team tackled Adams OOB which caused a small scuffle to break out.

Injuries differ person to person. We all saw Kobe tear his achilles, hit 2 free throws, and walk off with no assistance.
I didn't see that.
62f0712a72c390de8a20366e01982f9a_w200.gif

Shrader would never shut it down early during the season for fear of injury or to prep for NFL. That is not in his nature. Now if he killed for most of the year and was considered a solid draft pick and also was pretty injured and worrying about further injuring himself possibly, but even then i doubt it.

He still has some things to prove on the field to play in the NFL. I'm not sure it happens from what we've seen so far but not out of the question. Shrader's Elite pocket presence to avoid rushers, make people miss and get positive yards is such an important trait to be a solid QB. His calm demeaner when under duress is just fantastic. Its like everything is slower for him than those around him. That is the thing we will miss more than anything once he's moved on.

I expect him to be meat grinded like every QB we've had since pretty much McNabb. So it's almost irrelevant to assume health. He will be dinged up. I also think there's a spot for him if he can lean into the Taysom Hill role. He could get drafted in that spot.

I'm less concerned about Shrader and more about OG playing again. If they are 6-0 or 6-1 sure if there is an outside shot of a big time bowl game i'm sure he'll contribute to that but that window closes immediately with loss #2 and i still don't think he risks even an Orange Bowl type game vs a first round drafted position. Am I crazy to think this?

Probably more deltards than bicepts (sic)

My accuracy comment was about how his accuracy translates to the NFL. Had nothing to do with Eric Dungey. You seem to not like me or my posts for whatever reason, and try to start things with me, like your reply right now being aggressive for literally no reason, how about put me on ignore so you don’t have to see my posts? Also your response was a reply to my post replying to someone saying GS could be a backup in the NFL. So worried about starting things with me you don’t even know what you’re replying to.
I know full well what I’m replying to … if you find my response to be aggressive then maybe you shouldn’t watch grown men play football. I did not insult you in my response I am pointing out you move goal posts.

Not the only one who has said this. If this intimidates you I’m sorry but aggressive? Get outta here.

You were comparing Shrader and Dungy and stating Dungy had better arm talent. Some one said go back and watch film. Your response was an accuracy argument then twisted it to say he isn’t NFL ready as if to justify your arm talent remark which of course based on numbers and film is wrong. Not sure what else to tell you.

I know full well what I’m replying to … if you find my response to be aggressive then maybe you shouldn’t watch grown men play football. I did not insult you in my response I am pointing out you move goal posts.

Not the only one who has said this. If this intimidates you I’m sorry but aggressive? Get outta here.

You were comparing Shrader and Dungy and stating Dungy had better arm talent. Some one said go back and watch film. Your response was an accuracy argument then twisted it to say he isn’t NFL ready as if to justify your arm talent remark which of course based on numbers and film is wrong. Not sure what else to tell you.
Don’t watch grown men played football? I’ve been around football my entire life, playing, coaching breaking it down. That doesn’t change how you come at me. You didn’t insult me you incorrectly twisted my point to try and start something with me. Show me where I moved the goal posts. My response was to a reply talking about Matt Ryan and Chad Pennington. I’ll even go quote the post and tag you so you can show me exactly where I moved the goal posts.

It’s not just his arm strength that’s an issue. It’s also his accuracy. In the NFL you’re throwing into tight windows virtually everytime, very rarely are guys running wide open like the college game. It’s fine to be a great college QB, and that’s what I think he is. Not every player translates to the NFL.
wfschrec this is my post you replied to, now click on it and look what I was replying to. Again, where am I moving the goal posts.

Don’t watch grown men played football? You didn’t insult me you incorrectly twisted my point to try and start something with me. Show me where I moved the goal posts. My response was to a reply talking about Matt Ryan and Chad Pennington.
Good grief no I did not insult you in my reply .,. Quite it and show me. I said you used a trope and then I get the obligatory you hurt my feelings reply … don’t get you at all. If my reply (the one you said was aggressive) hurt your feelings you shouldn’t watch grown men play football because that is far more aggressive than anything I said. Not that hard .,. You were comparing Dungy and Shrader and I said they are comparable .. if you don’t want people replying don’t post on a thread on a message board.

Status
Not open for further replies.