Reading the Oronde Tea Leaves… | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Reading the Oronde Tea Leaves…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont get your hopes up. Its not conjecture. Jones is going to surprise a lot of you and hopefully we can get a consistent #2 between hatcher, alford or brown. Wouldn’t mind Adams getting involved again too. This is a unit we have depth in. The main issue that may be amplified by this is pass blocking. Im still feeling good about our season outlook, IF we beat Purdue. This game’s massive.

Let's say he's out until Clemson (best case). I would guess he'd play, if healthy, until bowl eligible and then if he's remotely nicked up we don't see him ever again. I'll take anyone's bet he will not see a bowl game. So we're looking at probably 3-4 more games left of OG. Which is fine mind you but that's what college football is now.

I'm more curious if Shrader shuts it down at any point to preserve himself for the NFL combine, etc. I hate modern college football.

Let's say he's out until Clemson (best case). I would guess he'd play, if healthy, until bowl eligible and then if he's remotely nicked up we don't see him ever again. I'll take anyone's bet he will not see a bowl game. So we're looking at probably 3-4 more games left of OG. Which is fine mind you but that's what college football is now.

I'm more curious if Shrader shuts it down at any point to preserve himself for the NFL combine, etc. I hate modern college football.
Shrader is a UDFA. He doesn’t have NFL arm talent at all. His out routes take 3 seconds to get out there. Dungey had a more live arm and he wasn’t drafted/moved to TE in spring mini camps.

Shrader is a UDFA. He doesn’t have NFL arm talent at all. His out routes take 3 seconds to get out there. Dungey had a more live arm and he wasn’t drafted/moved to TE in spring mini camps.
GS has a much better arm then Dungey however, I agree that he is a UDFA for the NFL.

NIL deals should include clauses that void everything if healthy players sit out.

He hasn’t done nearly enough to have that thought within a 100 miles of his mind.

He’s a potential NFL athlete, but he’s not a qb, at least right now.

He’s battling to be considered third in the ACC.

What? You think if Syracuse is 6-0 or 6-1 he wouldn’t play anymore? That’s super dumb.

When was the last you saw a top draft pick sit out half season, let alone a 5 or 6th rounder? Like where do people come up with this crap?

I’m sorry, is this a bad idea? Because our seasons continue to get derailed by injuries.

You keep bringing up the fact that other schools deal with injuries, but I know for a fact that a lot of them continue to make bowl games and have success. If you can’t find depth maybe try to improve other parts of your program.

You’re out here critiquing every comment, and just saying “oh let’s roll over and die and let it ruin our season.”

Sorry for asking questions.
What's the point of asking questions if you don't understand the answers?

Alabama has star players tear their ACLs. It's the nature of a rigid ligament being put under incredibly high stress in a sport that pushes flexibility and durability to its limits. Better weight training doesn't stop blockers from accidentally rolling up on the ankle of the guy next to him. Etc.

Depth is an issue, but Syracuse isn't alone in having depth issues. Stop with the typical CNY "everything is terrible because it must be" mindset.

More and Ellis didn't even play against Colgate.

Maybe we should just skip training camp and tell everyone to show up the week before Labor Day.
Maybe we should just not play any games at all . Then in December we apply for a bowl under the NCAA “ Double Secret Bowl Application Process” That most people are unaware of.

My uninformed prediction is high ankle sprain, back for Pitt. Then slips on that awful field in warmups.
We should have said no to playing Pitt in NYC just for that reason alone. The field conditions for a football game are horrendous there. We shouldn't have even be allowed to play a game there considering how bad it was last year.

Shrader would never shut it down early during the season for fear of injury or to prep for NFL. That is not in his nature. Now if he killed for most of the year and was considered a solid draft pick and also was pretty injured and worrying about further injuring himself possibly, but even then i doubt it.

He still has some things to prove on the field to play in the NFL. I'm not sure it happens from what we've seen so far but not out of the question. Shrader's Elite pocket presence to avoid rushers, make people miss and get positive yards is such an important trait to be a solid QB. His calm demeaner when under duress is just fantastic. Its like everything is slower for him than those around him. That is the thing we will miss more than anything once he's moved on.

GS has a much better arm then Dungey however, I agree that he is a UDFA for the NFL.
I haven’t watched Eric tape since he left so maybe my memory is off, but in my head he had superior zip on the ball than Garrett. Garrett floats almost all of his passes, I don’t recall Eric having that issue.

You need to go back and watch it then. IMO, they are pretty similar
They might be surely, obviously neither of them have elite arm traits but in my head when I think of the two I favored Eric’s arm. But again haven’t watched his tape in years so that could just be in my head.

Plenty of backups in the NFL don't have the strongest arm. Kellen Moore stuck as a backup for a few years with a really weak arm, as did Chad Pennington post injury, then starters like Matt Ryan and Andy Dalton never had great arms. Being an NFL backup your not judged on the same scale

Plenty of backups in the NFL don't have the strongest arm. Kellen Moore stuck as a backup for a few years with a really weak arm, as did Chad Pennington post injury, then starters like Matt Ryan and Andy Dalton never had great arms. Being an NFL backup your not judged on the same scale
It’s not just his arm strength that’s an issue. It’s also his accuracy. In the NFL you’re throwing into tight windows virtually everytime, very rarely are guys running wide open like the college game. It’s fine to be a great college QB, and that’s what I think he is. Not every player translates to the NFL.

It’s not just his arm strength that’s an issue. It’s also his accuracy. In the NFL you’re throwing into tight windows virtually everytime, very rarely are guys running wide open like the college game. It’s fine to be a great college QB, and that’s what I think he is. Not every player translates to the NFL.
Dungeys best season for completion percentage was 64.8, every other season was 60 or below. Shrader completed 64.7% last year and is already above 68% this season. Shrader also sports a better TD to INT ratio. Accuracy is comparable. Shrader had a real rough 2021 but he wasn’t being groomed as the starter either as the plan was Devito.

If you want to prevent these injuries from negatively impacting a season then build depth. And we are trying to do that by investing in the staff, facilities, etc.
I've got a different idea...
BYk3eo_CAAAJM3N.jpg

What's the point of asking questions if you don't understand the answers?

Alabama has star players tear their ACLs. It's the nature of a rigid ligament being put under incredibly high stress in a sport that pushes flexibility and durability to its limits. Better weight training doesn't stop blockers from accidentally rolling up on the ankle of the guy next to him. Etc.

Depth is an issue, but Syracuse isn't alone in having depth issues. Stop with the typical CNY "everything is terrible because it must be" mindset.

You’re a rigid ligament.

Status
Not open for further replies.