recap out there anywhere... knock knock hello? | Syracusefan.com

recap out there anywhere... knock knock hello?

IHeartSUFball

All Conference
did anyone from this message board go today? (in somewhat sarcastic tone)

I'm sure we'll get a nice write up from Tomcat and others later.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

Coach Shafer had a nice pair of neon sneakers on while a few assistants sports some camo straw hats. most of the coaches wore whistles around their necks

oh wait nobody cares about that...anywho

i'm just going to go off on random as it comes to me, but anyways here i go

obviously there wasn't anything earth shattering taking place, it was mostly low intensity drills and some stretching. It started off with Keon Lyn giving some people a scare as he yelled out as he turned an ankle. He took off his shoe, but surprisingly no trainer came over. Afrer about 10 minutes of limping around he thankfully got back in.

Unfortunately Josh Kirkland didn't seem as fortunate. He stepped out during drills with what looked like a tight hamstring. He got stretched out, but sat the rest of practice out.

Also Sean Hickey gave me a scare as he got rolled up in what looked like an ugly play. Thankfully he got up limped it off, and got back in. I was keying on him for a while as I caught it as he absolutely dominated Micah Robinson and Ron Thompson. He won basically every single rep, and it wasn't even close. Very impressive.

Also Kyle Knapp impressed on the Oline. He is very physical off the ball, and helped spring Devante McFarland on a 70 yard td run with a huge block. I thought he looked extremely good today. He is going to be a good one maybe sooner then later.

Right before the full field live scrimmage they were working on some more underneath and short stuff. Drew Allen threw back to back picks 6's to end it, one to Luke Arciniega where he made a nice play on the ball, and another on a miscommunication (i didn't see to who). Allen did look extremely mobile, and very fast. I would argue that he may be more mobile then Hunt. He also made a nice throw to Alvin Cornelius for another 50 or 60 yard gain. Other then that he didn't really show much, as they kept it pretty close to the vest.

As for Hunt I thought he looked better in the Spring. He definitely didn't have any wow plays. Had no turnovers, a few nice scrambles to keep plays alive, and completed some short passes, but nothing spectacular.

Neither qb really stood out other then the 2 pick 6's by Allen, but like I said everything was so vanilla (as it should be in front of everyone) it's hard to really tell.

None of the DE's had any pressure on the qb. The 1st and 2nd team offensive line was very solid, the qb didn't get sacked one. Obviously there weren't any blitz, but they didn't allow any other pressure. Gulley, Smith, and McFarland mentioned earlier all had some nice pick ups at some point.

Otherwise the defense was pretty dominant. They did let up a few big plays, but other then that they kept the offense pretty contained. Strong play from the LBers, Eskridge, and all of the CB's.

Probably should also mention Austin Wilson had 2 very nice completions with limited reps. 1 of those was too Quinta Funderburke who made 2 nice catches for big gains I believe. I know he had at least 1. He looks very fluid, and wouldn't be surprised too see him work his way into the rotation. I watched him during drills and he looks the part of a very nice WR.

Coach Shafer had a nice pair of neon sneakers on while a few assistants sports some camo straw hats. most of the coaches wore whistles around their necks

oh wait nobody cares about that...anywho

i'm just going to go off on random as it comes to me, but anyways here i go

obviously there wasn't anything earth shattering taking place, it was mostly low intensity drills and some stretching. It started off with Keon Lyn giving some people a scare as he yelled out as he turned an ankle. He took off his shoe, but surprisingly no trainer came over. Afrer about 10 minutes of limping around he thankfully got back in.

Unfortunately Josh Kirkland didn't seem as fortunate. He stepped out during drills with what looked like a tight hamstring. He got stretched out, but sat the rest of practice out.

Also Sean Hickey gave me a scare as he got rolled up in what looked like an ugly play. Thankfully he got up limped it off, and got back in. I was keying on him for a while as I caught it as he absolutely dominated Micah Robinson and Ron Thompson. He won basically every single rep, and it wasn't even close. Very impressive.

Also Kyle Knapp impressed on the Oline. He is very physical off the ball, and helped spring Devante McFarland on a 70 yard td run with a huge block. I thought he looked extremely good today. He is going to be a good one maybe sooner then later.

Right before the full field live scrimmage they were working on some more underneath and short stuff. Drew Allen threw back to back picks 6's to end it, one to Luke Arciniega where he made a nice play on the ball, and another on a miscommunication (i didn't see to who). Allen did look extremely mobile, and very fast. I would argue that he may be more mobile then Hunt. He also made a nice throw to Alvin Cornelius for another 50 or 60 yard gain. Other then that he didn't really show much, as they kept it pretty close to the vest.

As for Hunt I thought he looked better in the Spring. He definitely didn't have any wow plays. Had no turnovers, a few nice scrambles to keep plays alive, and completed some short passes, but nothing spectacular.

Neither qb really stood out other then the 2 pick 6's by Allen, but like I said everything was so vanilla (as it should be in front of everyone) it's hard to really tell.

None of the DE's had any pressure on the qb. The 1st and 2nd team offensive line was very solid, the qb didn't get sacked one. Obviously there weren't any blitz, but they didn't allow any other pressure. Gulley, Smith, and McFarland mentioned earlier all had some nice pick ups at some point.

Otherwise the defense was pretty dominant. They did let up a few big plays, but other then that they kept the offense pretty contained. Strong play from the LBers, Eskridge, and all of the CB's.

Probably should also mention Austin Wilson had 2 very nice completions with limited reps. 1 of those was too Quinta Funderburke who made 2 nice catches for big gains I believe. I know he had at least 1. He looks very fluid, and wouldn't be surprised too see him work his way into the rotation. I watched him during drills and he looks the part of a very nice WR.

Do you think they beat Penn State?

Also wanted to note that I think our future looks very strong. Some rs FR really look like some players. Combine them with some of the trFR that will play and that has the making of a game changing class. Emerich worked at center with the 2's, but also played some guard with the 3's. He looked very solid, and flexible. Emerich and Knapp on the line together should give us a solid core to work with. Joshua Parris looks entrenched with the 2's. He is another big boy who moves very well for his size. I continue to be impressed with Cornelius. Every time I see him he is making plays. Combine that with McFarland and Morris at RB, and Estime in the slot our offense looks pretty solid.
On defense Isiah Johnson looks the part. He is a big boy, and looks even bigger from when I saw him in the Spring. He picked up a fumble and returned it for a TD, and seemed to be in the rotation with the 3's. Thompson is also another big boy. He was much more vocal then I thought, always chatting it up on the sidelines. He was getting a few lessons taught to him by Hickey, but has some quickness and the size to work with.

Anyways it looks like DM left us a nice present with the class of 2012

Seriously some of the posters on this board are better than sliced bread! Thank yours so much Anomander!! Your the Man!!

Do you think they beat Penn State?

it's impossible to judge off of that. You can tell they were playing everything extremely close to the vest, and working on basics. It's different seeing a younger, little more energetic coaching staff. I definitely think we can beat Penn St, but that's not based off of what we saw today, which was more for the fans. Which I should say was a pretty impressive turn out. I wasn't expecting nearly as many people. I'm horrible at judging how many people were there, but if I had to throw out a number i would say between 1,000 - 1,500? then again I could be totally off with that.

It appeared to me that Hunt has a better presence as quarterback. Allen's feet aren't as quick as Hunt's. He might run better but his movement around the pocket doesn't appear as purposeful as Hunt's. The defense can really run. They can bring a lot of people in the game and not lose a lot. Both kickers looked pretty good. They both made a couple of 40+ field goals. Wilson threw a couple of really good balls when he was out there. He's another quarterback that just looks like he feels comfortable in the pocket. I'm sure you'll get more info from Tomcat when he gets a chance to report out. Physically, this team has really changed over the past couple of years. Much bigger and leaner as a group. Everyone seems to run a little better. On another note, there were a lot more people attending than I can ever remember. I had a chance to speak briefly with Coach Shafer and his wife and son after practice. You can't find nicer people. I asked coach if he can relax now and he said that after the autograph signing, everyone will get cleaned up and have dinner, followed by meetings until 10:30. All in a days work!

It appeared to me that Hunt has a better presence as quarterback. Allen's feet aren't as quick as Hunt's. He might run better but his movement around the pocket doesn't appear as purposeful as Hunt's. The defense can really run. They can bring a lot of people in the game and not lose a lot. Both kickers looked pretty good. They both made a couple of 40+ field goals. Wilson threw a couple of really good balls when he was out there. He's another quarterback that just looks like he feels comfortable in the pocket. I'm sure you'll get more info from Tomcat when he gets a chance to report out. Physically, this team has really changed over the past couple of years. Much bigger and leaner as a group. Everyone seems to run a little better. On another note, there were a lot more people attending than I can ever remember. I had a chance to speak briefly with Coach Shafer and his wife and son after practice. You can't find nicer people. I asked coach if he can relax now and he said that after the autograph signing, everyone will get cleaned up and have dinner, followed by meetings until 10:30. All in a days work!

I think that's very fair about the qb's mobility. it's a different kind of mobility. Like you said Hunt looks more fluid, but Allen is faster. Hunt is better side to side, but if Allen gets his shoulders square and headed up field he is in good shape. He is a grown man too. Very solid 6'5 250.

Thanks for pointing out the kickers I wanted to mention them. They both showed off good legs making their their fg's with plenty to spare and were perfect except for one botched snap.

Also how about an update on Ivan Foy. Last year he was penciled in as the starter, started messing up, they put Trudo in and Ivan was relegated to 2nd team the rest of the year.This year he's back to starting. How is is transition from guard to tackle for Ivan. Is there competition you think for his spot? Specifically from Knapp?

Also how about an update on Ivan Foy. Last year he was penciled in as the starter, started messing up, they put Trudo in and Ivan was relegated to 2nd team the rest of the year.This year he's back to starting. How is is transition from guard to tackle for Ivan. Is there competition you think for his spot? Specifically from Knapp?

I thought Knapp was outstanding and there would be no drop off if he is to start. I couldn't see over to the right side where Foy was, maybe some others were able to see how he performed? Initially I thought the right side held up pretty well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom