Recruiting 2023-2025 | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2023-2025

Hill Top is a dad club run by a guy in Pittsford. Has kids from all over, mostly prep school kids and a number of local Rochester kids that play for 3d Upstate.

Thanks. There are currently four of these (types of clubs) running right now in the Capital District and they all have been quite competitive. The one my son plays with plays three small winter tourneys, then another couple in the summer (PLL, 1812, Lake George). It started as an offshoot of the local town club for more competitive players but has now morphed into a team that pulls kids from 3-4 towns. It's really affordable and sometimes I wonder why I shell out for club fees when my kid could just be doing this and probably would be no worse for wear. The "politics" are tricky, but they pretty much are everywhere.

brown alums not happy with their once prodigal son after he flipped their best recruit in years

brown alums not happy with their once prodigal son after he flipped their best recruit in years
Who did he flip.. with your description, my guess is Haussmann

That would be my guess too. I was sort of surprised when he made his initial commitment that it wasn't for UVA, let alone that it was for Brown. The Cavs have had a strong pipeline into Brunswick for a while. This would be the second 5 star from that program they have flipped in the 2024 class alone.

Larken Kemp seems to be going through it right now. He seemed pretty happy when Brown flipped a Syracuse player a few years ago (George Wandoff). Just have to take the good with the bad sometimes with these recruiting moves. Side note, nice to see a former player get as worked up as some of us do around here, lol.

Larken Kemp seems to be going through it right now. He seemed pretty happy when Brown flipped a Syracuse player a few years ago (George Wandoff). Just have to take the good with the bad sometimes with these recruiting moves. Side note, nice to see a former player get as worked up as some of us do around here, lol.

Yikes, he had like 3 or 4 posts on it. Flips are tough but u have to know when UVA and Duke and ND are or were on a guy its always a possibility ditto Maryland as well. Even Spallina who was as orange as could be you has to keep working to keep the vultures away

such a drama queen. the kid opened up his commitment weeks ago and wanted to go to uva. lars is not going to say no just because it's coming from brown. that is insane. kemp should be worshipping at the alter of lars for taking him and brown to the only final four they're ever going to reach this century. going to another tough season in brunoland awaits after they were already below par last year and now lose mcclane, gunty, king and others

such a drama queen. the kid opened up his commitment weeks ago and wanted to go to uva. lars is not going to say no just because it's coming from brown. that is insane. kemp should be worshipping at the alter of lars for taking him and brown to the only final four they're ever going to reach this century. going to another tough season in brunoland awaits after they were already below par last year and now lose mcclane, gunty, king and others
crazy soft. and casting a number of character aspersions at his ole coach, too. hope it works out for him.

Last edited:

Stuff like this is ridiculous to me. I am sure Amplo is a fine coach, but no other sport would ever consider equating someone as common as him with someone with the exploits of Gait.

"Two great minds." One of these guys went to Hofstra and has coached mediocre Marquette and Navy teams. The other guy has won multiple NCAA, MLL, NLL, and World championships, has his own equipment line, invented a shot that had to be banned, has the PLL Best Midfielder Award named after him, and is pretty universally considered to be the greatest player of all time.

I dont blame openserieslacrosse. I blame the SU AD/SID for not knowing how to promote the program correctly.

Stuff like this is ridiculous to me. I am sure Amplo is a fine coach, but no other sport would ever consider equating someone as common as him with someone with the exploits of Gait.

"Two great minds." One of these guys went to Hofstra and has coached mediocre Marquette and Navy teams. The other guy has won multiple NCAA, MLL, NLL, and World championships, has his own equipment line, invented a shot that had to be banned, has the PLL Best Midfielder Award named after him, and is pretty universally considered to be the greatest player of all time.

I dont blame openserieslacrosse. I blame the SU AD/SID for not knowing how to promote the program correctly.
Amplo has two world lacrosse championships as a coach with Team USA. Marquette was way better than mediocre when he was there. Multiple NCAA tournaments, seeded in the event, conference championships, etc. His coaching careers thus far is stronger than Gaits. Amplo in all honest was a better candidate for the Cuse job when it was open...

Amplo has two world lacrosse championships as a coach with Team USA. Marquette was way better than mediocre when he was there. Multiple NCAA tournaments, seeded in the event, conference championships, etc. His coaching careers thus far is stronger than Gaits. Amplo in all honest was a better candidate for the Cuse job when it was open...
I understand what you’re saying, but you made my point for me. (I recognize people might disagree with me)

I understand what you’re saying, but you made my point for me. (I recognize people might disagree with me)
You can be a great mind and be a great, good, mediocre, bad or terrible coach. It’s all about how those ideas in the mind are communicated and implemented. They’re mutually exclusive ideas. So, the Instagram post can be 100% true and there would still be room to argue how good either one is as a coach.

You can be a great mind and be a great, good, mediocre, bad or terrible coach. It’s all about how those ideas in the mind are communicated and implemented. They’re mutually exclusive ideas. So, the Instagram post can be 100% true and there would still be room to argue how good either one is as a coach.
That's not the point. The point is you need to promote what you have to promote. Whether Gait proves to be a great, good, mediocre, bad or terrible coach remains to be seen and isnt really relevant.

We can't sell a pipeline to Goldman Sachs. We can't sell an Ivy League education (Stevens comment on the difference between Princeton and SU was funny). We can't sell an army of brainwashed alums.

What you can sell now is the opportunity to play for guy who was the most dynamic, game changing player, in lacrosse history? "But that was before these kids were born." Remind them. We had a middie who through the most daring behind the back place in NCAA history. We had a pole that threw a full field BTB pass on a clear. Michael Sowers- just doing an imitation of Mikey Powell. Play inside where it's always warm. Where the most fans attend. At the school with the most Championships and final fours.

It's weird to me that sports is all about being an alpha and our Athletics Department allows the lacrosse program to be a beta.

Amplo is not Gait's peer. If that was a photo of Gretzky (sucked as a coach) with some journeyman coach, the caption would have read something like "Coach X taking it in with The Great One," not "two great minds."

That's not the point. The point is you need to promote what you have to promote. Whether Gait proves to be a great, good, mediocre, bad or terrible coach remains to be seen and isnt really relevant.

We can't sell a pipeline to Goldman Sachs. We can't sell an Ivy League education (Stevens comment on the difference between Princeton and SU was funny). We can't sell an army of brainwashed alums.

What you can sell now is the opportunity to play for guy who was the most dynamic, game changing player, in lacrosse history? "But that was before these kids were born." Remind them. We had a middie who through the most daring behind the back place in NCAA history. We had a pole that threw a full field BTB pass on a clear. Michael Sowers- just doing an imitation of Mikey Powell. Play inside where it's always warm. Where the most fans attend. At the school with the most Championships and final fours.

It's weird to me that sports is all about being an alpha and our Athletics Department allows the lacrosse program to be a beta.

Amplo is not Gait's peer. If that was a photo of Gretzky (sucked as a coach) with some journeyman coach, the caption would have read something like "Coach X taking it in with The Great One," not "two great minds."

I don't disagree with most of your points, but what does the Syracuse Athletics department have to do with what Open Series Lacrosse says on their Instagram account?

I don't disagree with most of your points, but what does the Syracuse Athletics department have to do with what Open Series Lacrosse says on their Instagram account?

Open Series needs to promote their program in the way they feel is best. SU needs to promote ours. I want to see more swagger. It's not the end all be all, just my observation.

a nit, but the equipment line is paul's. and as mentioned, this is an insta post from openseries? i don't follow cuse lax on social media, are they behind the times in promotion vs other schools?

a nit, but the equipment line is paul's. and as mentioned, this is an insta post from openseries? i don't follow cuse lax on social media, are they behind the times in promotion vs other schools?
I’m not sure.