Recruiting Q&A | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Q&A

I agree somewhat with this although not looking for a Rock Lloyd type. I don't think we have enough of a sample size to determine at ALL if MCW will be a stud. If Dion leaves then there are potential ball-handling issues against the Louisville types, imo.

Ok you are right in that MCW has, at times looked a bit shaky under extreme pressure. How many guards aren't shaky as freshmen under extreme pressure? In HS he was probably taller than most opposing guards and will be in college. He will never remind us of Billy Edelin, he's a different kind of PG. With his cerebral nature, height and court vision I believe the positives will outweigh the negatives by far. He's had a couple games where he's handled pressure ok and a couple not so good, so I'm not terrified. However JB and you may know more than I, as he didn't face Marquette for one minute and I think it was a smart move. Could have hurt us and his confidence. I have seen enough of him to see the potential and more importantly he has a PG mentallity. IMO his passing skills and vision is enough overcome a steal or two. How many Louisville type teams will we face? Triche is pretty effective using his body under pressure and can help bring it up. Triche and MCW will get better.

I agree ball pressure is a slight concern but imo with our talent we can overcome a couple more turnovers than we average have this year.

MCW is our PG for the future. He is the guy the staff wanted, and its not like he will be a freshman next season. He will know our system, have had a decent amount of experience as a freshman and have spent season battling Scoop, Brandon, Dion and Trevor. He's going to be really really good next year.

Ok you are right in that MCW has, at times looked a bit shaky under extreme pressure. How many guards aren't shaky as freshmen under extreme pressure? In HS he was probably taller than most opposing guards and will be in college. He will never remind us of Billy Edelin, he's a different kind of PG. With his cerebral nature, height and court vision I believe the positives will outweigh the negatives by far. He's had a couple games where he's handled pressure ok and a couple not so good, so I'm not terrified. However JB and you may know more than I, as he didn't face Marquette for one minute and I think it was a smart move. Could have hurt us and his confidence. I have seen enough of him to see the potential and more importantly he has a PG mentallity. IMO his passing skills and vision is enough overcome a steal or two. How many Louisville type teams will we face? Triche is pretty effective using his body under pressure and can help bring it up. Triche and MCW will get better.

I agree ball pressure is a slight concern but imo with our talent we can overcome a couple more turnovers than we average have this year.

I agree with this. I see the potential but am naturally just a bit unsure. I actually thought he showed pretty good instincts briefly against the press. I get that we don't face many UL type teams. It's also offensive firepower that we will miss if Dion and Scoop is gone. Kris, too. Those three have a knack for making big shots. Lately, it's just that style of D which has bounced us from the Tourney as of late. Not necessarily pressing just the tough M2M. Something we will likely see again from somebody en route to a Final 4.

I feel very comfortable with MCW and Triche next year. I think we are going to be surprised how well MCW distributes the ball. He is an excellent penetrate and dish player with a great bball iq. I have NO worries.

St. John's board saying McCullough was at the game today. Guessing that had the opposite effect than what they intended.

St. John's board saying McCullough was at the game today. Guessing that had the opposite effect than what they intended.
I would assume the reason for McCullough's visit was to see the home team in action ;)

I feel very comfortable with MCW and Triche next year. I think we are going to be surprised how well MCW distributes the ball. He is an excellent penetrate and dish player with a great bball iq. I have NO worries.

I completely diagree with you, :) I will not be surprised when MCW EXPLODES. I have believed all year and even back to the mcdonalds game he would be a star pg. he wants to pass the ball to big men, immagine that! he is a highly skilled passer who I expect will be the best point guard in the BE next year. He will be a top 10 pick in two years maybe next year. If he can get any bulk on that frame, he's gone next year. His shot, intelligence, height, passing & penetration ability will give him a lengthy NBA career. Top 3 steals in BE NEXT YEAR IMO

I completely diagree with you, :) I will not be surprised when MCW EXPLODES. I have believed all year and even back to the mcdonalds game he would be a star pg. he wants to pass the ball to big men, immagine that! he is a highly skilled passer who I expect will be the best point guard in the BE next year. He will be a top 10 pick in two years maybe next year. If he can get any bulk on that frame, he's gone next year. His shot, intelligence, height, passing & penetration ability will give him a lengthy NBA career. Top 3 steals in BE NEXT YEAR IMO

You better read my post again as you are preaching to the choir my friend. Maybe you quoted the wrong person?

It's embarrassing that there are fans that question wether or not MCW is going to be a good point guard. It's also embarrassing that we criticize players like Rak and "write them off" not even a full year into their freshman season. It's fun to talk about since we're all excited and love the orange but sometimes we really take it too far. I'm not an expert in basketball talent but the Syracuse coaching staff is, so I'll trust that they know what they're doing. I remember watching Fab last year and people in the crowd would openly complain about him in a hateful manner. We really need to relax and stop expecting immediate results from every recruit.

I would go as far as to say that if Waiters leaves, a backcourt of MCW, Triche and Cooney may pleasantly surprise as one of the best most balanced backcourts we've had in some time. If Waiters stays it just makes it a more electric, more exciting backcourt, but I think cooney gets less run and our 3 point shooting takes a hit.

Pfister, I agree. It will be talented and unselfish, and quite good from three. I think we will lose Dion's ability to drive and isolate one on one, as well as his explosiveness on the fast break, but we will gain better ball distribution, better inside passing and better outside shooting. Not too bad a tradeoff in my opinion.

I would go as far as to say that if Waiters leaves, a backcourt of MCW, Triche and Cooney may pleasantly surprise as one of the best most balanced backcourts we've had in some time. If Waiters stays it just makes it a more electric, more exciting backcourt, but I think cooney gets less run and our 3 point shooting takes a hit.
I think our half court offense will be much better next year with these 3 than this year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom