Recruiting Updates | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Updates

Wow. At around 35-31 Team Scan down, Battle threw a 3/4 court pass and it looks like Bryant exploded for that dunk. Got up in a hurry with elevation. Hadn't seen much of that in the past. Good sign.

Couple other thoughts for now. Govan getting to the line, doing work. Diallo looks awful. Bad outside shot, execution and selection. Got stuffed by a smaller forward too. Battle taking some forced shots but looks really good bringing up the ball even though he is one of three distributors on this squad. Bryant has had some moments scoring inside so far.

Bryant has to do a better job with possession. A few turnovers, rebounds that needed to be controlled.

Down 4, Bryant with room in the front court, great pass to a cutting Diallo, easy jam home.

Bryant with great defense, altered inside shot and collects the rebound, chance to take the lead.

Diallo ties it up after a few decent defensive plays by Govan. Altered at least one of the two putback tries, but give Diallo credit for sticking with it. Take that, Charles Smith. :rolleyes:

Again, Govan draws the foul. Has a lot of Slick Rick The Ruler Jackson in him. Really uses his size against two formidable defenders in Diallo and Bryant. Great game, now NY Lightning tie it back up after being down 4 late in first OT.

Looks like Lightning will hold on over Bryant, Battle and Team Scan. Well played both ends of the floor. Can't wait to see Govan's line. Really carried his team against a front court with twin towers of Thomas Bryant and Cheick.

Thanks for the recap King Tee. McKnight played at St. Benedict's this past season with our boy Johnny Williams. I was impressed with him too when I saw one of their games against Roselle Catholic.

How did Govan look athletic and motor wise?

Thanks for the recap King Tee. McKnight played at St. Benedict's this past season with our boy Johnny Williams. I was impressed with him too when I saw one of their games against Roselle Catholic.

How did Govan look athletic and motor wise?
You got it my friend. Govan doesn't seem to get up high, but has a hook that gives him room. Weird delivery, but makes it work. His motor, energy level look good, but his best asset is use of his body and position to either draw the foul or create an easy look. Was 7/8 from the line and tied a game high of 19 points. Really like his low post game. If he gets up and in a hurry, you've got a tremendous threat inside.

You got it my friend. Govan doesn't seem to get up high, but has a hook that gives him room. Weird delivery, but makes it work. His motor, energy level look good, but his best asset is use of his body and position to either draw the foul or create an easy look. Was 7/8 from the line and tied a game high of 19 points. Really like his low post game. If he gets up and in a hurry, you've got a tremendous threat inside.
Thanks, good stuff. From what you've seen and thinking long-term, who do you prefer for SU out of TB and Govan?

Thanks, good stuff. From what you've seen and thinking long-term, who do you prefer for SU out of TB and Govan?
Great question and I knew it was coming. If Govan can jump and get in better shape, I'd give him the slight nod but have to see more of him. But I'm a fan of TB, feel so dirty right now. If we needed a true post who is supposed to do what we wanted (and still might get) out of DC2, I say Govan.

What I'd like to see more out of both of these guys is a little more athleticism in challenging shots, moving defensively. Bryant is a little quicker, more motor, but Govan is just an inside presence, demands a defensive front court's attention. Playing above the rim is neither's strength and that is a concern. Need a rim protector at the 5 if we play zone next few years. Not to say that one won't surprise us, but that's just my two cents. :)

Just to add, I think Govan could even end up drawing AO like comparisons. Has the footwork, similar builds and games.

Last edited by a moderator: